Your Book Activity ~ September 2012

Kylie

Another month, another thread!

Today I randomly picked up The Talented Mr Ripley and started reading it. I liked it immediately, so I'll be continuing on with it as well as my Walter Moers book. Hopefully I'll get back to We soon as well.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read a few pages in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, but haven't been able to read a lot because my half sister, who lives quite far away, was visiting today so I spent some time with her.

In the meanwhile, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to read the Millennium trilogy next. I'd want to read them all in one go, and I'm not sure I'll have the time. If I decide not to, my next read will be "Parrotfish" by Ellen Wittinger.

Another month, another thread!

Today I randomly picked up The Talented Mr Ripley and started reading it. I liked it immediately, so I'll be continuing on with it as well as my Walter Moers book. Hopefully I'll get back to We soon as well.

I hope you enjoy TTMR throughout the novel :) I can't remember much what I thought about it, it wasn't the most fantastic read but I think I liked it more than I'd anticipated :)

I'm still reading Jonas Jonasson's The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared, it's getting really good :smile2:

I'm still reading Jonas Jonasson's The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared, it's getting really good :smile2:

I bought this last month :) I must admit I was lured in mostly by the cover .. good to know that the contents are just as good :D

Immersing myself in Virginia with the hope that I'll become more familiar with her and her fellow Bloomsbury set members. Have read her selected diaries and letters and am halfway through the biog (but what a monster .. 800 odd pages in total and in many ways just as complex as her own work :o) I quite fancy working my way through her fiction also ... I really should start a challenge for that (very apt word :D) Also reading Rabbit, Run by John Updike and The Visitation by Jenny Erpenbeck.

I've just read A Monster Calls this afternoon. I couldn't put it down once I started, and in bits by the end.

Awww .. me too Claire :friends0:

There's a character list at the back of the book. Seriously, though, if there's anything you particularly want to know I think there's a thread for the book somewhere in the sf/fantasy section, or feel free to PM me and ask.

So there is! That helps plenty. I also managed to find some pretty decent character summaries online (and managed to inadvertently read a few spoilers as well :banghead: ), taking care to stick to the book version rather than the TV series. I'm getting quite into it now, now that I'm more familiar with the characters. I'm about a third of the way through so far. Quite a few of the characters are very young, in their early-teens or younger, and that occasionally throws me, as they have to act in ways that are so grown up. I shall have a look for the thread for the book - I've been avoiding Raven's On The Throne thread as I'm aware that one has spoilers. :thud:

Good luck the A Game of Thrones!

Thanks! After the first bit, it's not as difficult to get into as I initally feared. :boogie:

I bought this last month :) I must admit I was lured in mostly by the cover .. good to know that the contents are just as good :D

It is rather weird, it was on my second week at the library when somebody returned this book and I was looking at the cover and the title and it seemed intriguing, and it also seemed like a book that had been turning up here and there for a while, and then a co-worker glanced at it and told me it was really funny. I had to borrow it, and it's even better than I expected. I've giggled out loud a few times :smile2: Apparently it has been a huge international success (according to one of the book covers I've seen on the internet), but it was published in 2009 (?) and I've never heard of it until now, and I think (at least when it comes to my peers and fellow book readers) that it isn't until now that people have started reading it. I think June on here at least has already read it, and I believe she really enjoyed it :)

Immersing myself in Virginia with the hope that I'll become more familiar with her and her fellow Bloomsbury set members. Have read her selected diaries and letters and am halfway through the biog (but what a monster .. 800 odd pages in total and in many ways just as complex as her own work :o) I quite fancy working my way through her fiction also ... I really should start a challenge for that (very apt word :D) Also reading Rabbit, Run by John Updike and The Visitation by Jenny Erpenbeck.

Very many books on the go, aye? I saw a Woolf title at the library book sale and thought of you, and was tempted to buy the copy, but alas, it was in Finnish and you and I have agreed that I should read her in English. I'd love to see you take her up as a challenge and to see how you get along with all things related :smile2:

What do you make of Rabbit, Run? I've seen it at the library a few times and it sounds like a book I want to read, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Thanks! After the first bit, it's not as difficult to get into as I initally feared. :boogie:

Yay, I'm really happy to hear that! :smile2: You give me hope :friends3:

So there is! That helps plenty. I also managed to find some pretty decent character summaries online (and managed to inadvertently read a few spoilers as well :banghead: ), taking care to stick to the book version rather than the TV series. I'm getting quite into it now, now that I'm more familiar with the characters. I'm about a third of the way through so far. Quite a few of the characters are very young, in their early-teens or younger, and that occasionally throws me, as they have to act in ways that are so grown up. I shall have a look for the thread for the book

This one seems to be spoiler free - certainly a good place to comment/ask questions, I would have thought :smile:

Shame about the spoilers you found elsewhere, though - I hope it doesn't ruin things for you :banghead:

I'm currently halfway through City of the Beasts by Isabel Allende. I didn't realise it was YA until about a chapter in, but I'm really enjoying being immersed with Indian tribes in the Amazon through the eyes of a 15-year-old American!

It also counts for Peru in my world challenge :)

I finished The Art of Racing in the Rain during my sleepless night last night. I still had a third of it left when I picked it up and finished late in the morning! :giggle:

I did have one small niggle with the book, while I am a big motor racing nut, I couldn't help but speed read through the more detailed racing parts, because I wanted to know what was going on with the family.

I still loved it very much though.

Edited by Devi

It is rather weird, it was on my second week at the library when somebody returned this book and I was looking at the cover and the title and it seemed intriguing, and it also seemed like a book that had been turning up here and there for a while, and then a co-worker glanced at it and told me it was really funny. I had to borrow it, and it's even better than I expected. I've giggled out loud a few times :smile2: Apparently it has been a huge international success (according to one of the book covers I've seen on the internet), but it was published in 2009 (?) and I've never heard of it until now, and I think (at least when it comes to my peers and fellow book readers) that it isn't until now that people have started reading it. I think June on here at least has already read it, and I believe she really enjoyed it :)

I hadn't heard of it either .. but Waterstone's were promoting it on a stand when I last went in (or last went in with book buying power :D) and the cover was lovely and the blurb sounded promising ... I should have chosen it as one of my current reads because I am badly in need of a reading laugh at the moment. I might pack it for France though :)

Very many books on the go, aye? I saw a Woolf title at the library book sale and thought of you, and was tempted to buy the copy, but alas, it was in Finnish and you and I have agreed that I should read her in English. I'd love to see you take her up as a challenge and to see how you get along with all things related :smile2:

Yes, she's complicated enough without having to deal with a translation .. I'm not sure she even knew what she was on about half the time :D One thing I've learnt about her from reading all this stuff ( :D) is that she didn't see the point in writing what might be called 'ordinary prose' even if it resulted in a fantastic story .. she thought you should always push boundaries and try for something different. I will endeavour to bear that in mind next time I'm trying to untangle one of her paragraphs.

What do you make of Rabbit, Run? I've seen it at the library a few times and it sounds like a book I want to read, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Let's just say it's not the most accessible book .. it's another one where you need all your concentration (and so is Visitation .. I've made terrible choices this month .. all three are head knotters :D) but .. though I'm only about fifty pages in .. it's drawing me in slowly and I think it will ultimately be rewarding. There's something darkly compelling about it. This is one of a trilogy I think but it depends on how it goes as to whether I will read the other two. It always makes the lists though so got to be worth a go. Also, a plus is .. it's short :D (though if I'm not concentrating I have to read each page twice so .. swings and roundabouts :D)

Also reading .. as in listening to .. Stephen Fry read his (second) auto-biog and that's much more relaxing and enjoyable .. although given that his roguish ways are behind him it's not nearly as entertaining as his first.

Just about to sit down and finish Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End :smile:

Great book. :)

I've read a couple of chapters of The Talented Mr Ripley, and I catalogued a shelf of my books.

Over the last day or so I've read about 200 pages of Gone With The Wind and its safe to say that I'm now hooked on it! Can't believe that I've left it this long to read!

It is a compelling book, isn't it?

Glad you're enjoying it :)

Finished Childhood's End and started Rivers of London. Right near the start of it there's mention of Waterstones, but it's written as 'Waterstone's' :doh: Kylie won't be happy!

Kylie will be happy because she thinks they should never have gotten rid of the apostrophe! :)