When do you read?

Ooooh reading in public? Could never do that, people would distract me far more than electrical appliances.

I'd be fine until some guy with a weird haircut comes along. ":readingtwo:, Oh wait no that's wrong, why??!? What is...just a bird nested and...what was this book about again? :doh:"

:D

I can get easily distracted in public too. I often read the same lines over and over again or I have to put on my iPod to drown out noisy people. If I'm reading a 'light' book I can listen to any music and it won't distract me, but if it's a 'heavy' read then I can only listen to instrumental music. It's way too easy for me to get distracted anywhere, at any time (even when I'm by myself in a quiet room I'll start thinking about something else - I'm my own worst enemy).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not working at the minute but if i try to read through the day i feel very guilty

I actually i fib i had an hour maybe 2 lay in with the cat off my avatar and the lurcher as it was raining and Mr Diggs the lurcher doesn't do rain unless we are going for a long fun walk, (which we are this aftrenoon) my lurcher is adamant he gets his 20hours of sleep a ady. But now i have had to dash about like a loon doing housework before OH comes home

I'm heading off on holiday tomorrow - have rented a cottage on a little island so loads of books are coming with me. I'm staying almost a fortnight so I'm hoping to get loads read. A totally relaxing break - just me, my dog, long walks & my books. :D

Sounds like heaven, enjoy Moonchild.

I'm heading off on holiday tomorrow - have rented a cottage on a little island so loads of books are coming with me. I'm staying almost a fortnight so I'm hoping to get loads read. A totally relaxing break - just me, my dog, long walks & my books. :D

Ooooh what dog you got?

Any room for me my heap of TBR and a naughty lurcher?

I'm not working at the moment, so you'd figure I have more time to read, but for some reason I don't. Something else always gets in the way. :eek2: I do prefer to read in the evenings and at night, but my problem is that I'm quite easily distracted and restless. Like I'll be reading, but then I'll remember that I have to do the dishes. Instead of leaving them, it'll keep bugging me, so I have to put book down and do the dishes. Then, I'll see something else that needs doing, and I start doing that. :D Once I've gotten all the other things out of the way, I'm not in the mood to read - I usually prefer to zone out and watch TV or a film, or do something else. :D:yahoo:

I am not working at the minute but if i try to read through the day i feel very guilty

Yes I suffer from a similar guilt - somedays reading feels like a guilty secret - I get round it by 'earning' the time (stupid I know) I'll do a task and then 'treat' myself to some reading time. If I know there's jobs to be done around the house then it distracts me.

Aww cute dog kitty.

I'm ill at the moment so have done loads of reading during the day and it feels wierd cos I usually read at night. Also feel kind of guilty that i'm not doing more productive things but then i'm ill so i cant do much else.

I hate being ill its boring! I'm even getting fed up of reading!

As soon as Lauren is in bed I pick up my book. Sometimes I have to admit, that it is to avoid having to speak to my husband, if he has been particularly annoying or opinionated that day, by about eight o clock I have usually had enough soI bury my head in a book!!!;)

In my coffee break today, one of my colleagues came over to me and said, "You must be really happy in your own company - you always go off and sit by yourself."

I replied, "But I'm not by myself - I've got an entire cast of characters sitting right here with me and filling my head with their stories."

He laughed at that and recommended the Cross Stitch series by Diana Gabaldon to me when he realised I was reading historical fiction.

It's funny the things that happen when you're reading in your coffee break!

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to read whenever I can. Mostly in the evenings before bed as it helps me relax, but I also try and read in the morning too if I have a spare half hour before having to leave for work - which doesn't happen very often. I also take my book to work with me and read in my lunch hour too.

• 4 years later...

I personally,just don't have anything to do except school(easy) and taekwondo(fun but time consuming) so I have all the time to read that I want and I even read at school every second I get.

I personally,just don't have anything to do except school(easy) and taekwondo(fun but time consuming) so I have all the time to read that I want and I even read at school every second I get.

Ah the luxury of being young...

I find the best time for me to read is in bed before I go to sleep, most times it helps me relax enough to nod off. Though sometimes it does the complete opposite and keeps me up reading far later than I plan!

I remember back in my uni days, I was up till 4am reading most weekends! :lol:

Pied piper has been giving me a few tad late nights lately, but nothing like the 4am days, more like 12 - 1 am lol.

Edited by Devi