On the Throne

Raven

There are five books so far. Don't expect to see the sixth one for a few years, and then there's at least one more to come after that. At the rate he writes, the tv show will reach the end of the story before the books do :rolleyes:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say there are five books, but it is really seven, isn't it? (with two of them having been split in two).

Yep, money grabbing at its worst. I'd advise getting the US one-volume versions of those if you can. But then I'd also advise stopping after A Storm of Swords . . .

Yep, money grabbing at its worst. I'd advise getting the US one-volume versions of those if you can. But then I'd also advise stopping after A Storm of Swords . . .

Why? Does it finally become to complicated and he begins messing things up`?

I'm halfway though A Clash of Kings and really enjoying it so far. Intend to read as many of them as I can on holiday in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Ben

I stopped reading them. When I read the book before A feast of crows, did I do the right thing?

Edited by dex

Page 251 to 366

This is slow going [my reading speed, not the book!], even for me.

It's also a bit odd, because most times I've picked up the book I've read 50-60 pages, but I just don't seem that inclined to pick it up!

Interesting developments at court; are they just a plot device to get Ned out of King's Landing, or is there a bigger plan afoot? Arya is definitely becoming a favourite character and Tryion is becoming more interesting by the page. Was he the wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time, or is he pulling all the strings behind the scenes?

Edited by Raven

Pages 410 to 575

The sh*t just got real!

Well, you could see Ned getting into trouble coming a mile off (for someone so wise he didn't read that situation at all . . .). Can't see him lasting too long.

Big rounds of Face Palm for Sansa. I know she's only a young girl, but . . .

Could also see Arya getting away coming as well, but that didn't make reading it an less enjoyable.

Meanwhile, up on the wall, it's turned into the Night of the Frozen Undead.

Generally I think the book has started to pick up; the build up earlier in the book is starting to pay off and I can see myself finishing this in the next week now.

I wonder if I will want to get book 2 when I get to the end?

Edited to correct the page count, I'm further on than I realised!

Edited by Raven

Pages 638 to 701

Ha ha! Epic Kingslayer Fail!

This might sound like an obvious thing to say - given that every chapter title is a character's name - but this really is all about the characters; the plot kind of takes a back seat most of the time.

It's too tough to single out any one character really. Jon Snow, Sam, Arya, Tyrion and Daenerys are all good with plenty of potential, but there are plenty of others as well.

Plot wise, I don't think it's anything that exceptional at the moment. For such a big and weighty tome there have been very few real surprises. A lot of things that are happening are sign posted well in advance; Arya gets "survival training" and she gets to use it; They bring two "dead" bodies back to The Wall, but they aren't quite as dead as they should be; Littlefinger says "don't trust me," low-and-behold he can't be trusted etc. It would have been nice, in some ways, to have Sansa being the one on the run and Arya being the one locked up (or possibly even killed).

At the moment, I'm about 90 pages from the end of the book and it doesn't feel like it is going to have a conclusion (obviously I know the story continues in book 2, but it doesn't feel like it is building towards something at this point).

Pages 701 to 788

Didn't quite make it (I had to stop because I was starting to nod off!).

Could see Ned's demise coming a mile off, but I'm glad Martin scaled back the Lannister threat a bit.

I guess the climax of the book was really Ned's fate at Joffey's hands, but because the story jumps around so much there wasn't any real build up to it (a real sense of "Oh, that's happened, what's next?).

The last few chapters have all been set up for book 2; introducing new threats and sending characters off to new locations. All sounds interesting, but is it just more of the same or will something really surprising happen in the last 18 pages? (my money is on "no"!).

I picked up a copy of Clash of Kings on the way into work this morning, so it doesn't look like this thread is done just yet, but I'm not sure how much further I will go if it stays in this gear.

At least you made it to the end of the first book - almost. If you don't like it in this gear, though, you probably shouldn't go any further (IMO!) ;)

My opinion of George RR Martin continues to drop like a stone :lol:

Edited by Karsa Orlong