The Book Of Lost Things by John Connolly

Weave

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SG, I wish I still had my copy, I would have happily sent it to you. It is a lovely book and I know you will enjoy it,

:roll:

I finished this last night (Supergran, it's in the post to you today) and loved it. I was a bit apprehensive that the ending would let it down after such a brilliant start and middle but it didn't. I thought it was a lovely way to end the story.

I did think it got a tiny bit slow in places when David was at the castle, but maybe that was just me. It was late when I was reading....

On the whole I loved the characters, and the aspects of the story which were a little darker (the huntress, and the crooked mans home for example), distinguishing this story from a childrens story.

I also liked that the book (the version I have anyway) has the original fairy tales and notes/info at the back. It was nice to be able to re-read those stories from my childhood!

• 1 month later...

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

Blurb

High in his attic bedroom, twelve-year-old David mourns the loss of his mother. He is angry and he is alone, with only the books on his shelf for company. But those books have begun to whisper to him in the darkness and as he takes refuge in the myths and fairytales so beloved of his dead mother he finds that the real world and the fantasy world have begun to meld. The Crooked Man has come, with his mocking smile and his enigmatic words:

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A few people are whispering about this (Charm, Kylie, I'm looking at you guys :eek:) so I thought I'd drag this thread up, as I haven't commented here before. This thread actually inspired me to get the book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's dark, it's depressing, it's morbid, it's messed up, it's BRILLIANT! It's purely fantastical and psychological - it's the first time apparently Connolly has written anything like it, and I really think he succeeds. I love dark fairytales, I've always been fascinated by the roots and less-than-innocent implications of original 'fairy' tales. This book takes some of them to a whole new level - it explores the original ideas and manipulates them further by introducing a new interpretation or variation of many stories and an all-encompassing storyline to gather them together.

Probably, for me, the darkest story was the variation of Red Riding Hood. Being pretty much the first dark fairy story encountered, it comes across as pretty heavy - and it's fantastic :friends0:

I can't wait to read through this book again, knowing the deeper meanings behind everything as explained in the notes at the end.

Everybody, as you read this book please come here, I'd love to discuss it with people who've recently read it!!

A few people are whispering about this (Charm, Kylie, I'm looking at you guys :eek:) so I thought I'd drag this thread up, as I haven't commented here before.

I have added it to my wishlist you know! :lol:

I will most certainly come back to this thread when I read it :friends0: I've even just subscribed to the thread!

I'm only about 50 pages in and really enjoying it. It's very atmospheric and I have a feeling it's going to be a lot darker than I expected (although I shouldn't be surprised as I've already gleaned as much from other comments in this thread).

The Huntress bit was was really bothered me the most I think. It was so disturbing. It's really written like it's for kids, and you've this like 12 year old boy just wandering along doing his thing in the face of all this horror. Totally wacky.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished reading this a week or two ago and loved it!

It was dark and gruesome (surprisingly so), and I loved the twisted take on the fairy tales. The ending was great, and a little sad. I closed the book with a sigh when I finished. What a great experience. :lol:

I LOVED(!!!!) this book. It was written by a true master and is an amazing journey through the transitional stage that is being a 12 year old. I love how it shows the dark side of the fairy tales we grew up with. I'll admit that it took me almost a year to finally decide to actually read BOLT. Right now I am rereading it because I think that they are some parallels between BOLT and the new movie Coraline. Both involve an evil being that lives off of children's souls/lives. Also they both deal with alternate realities and with what seems real versus what IS real.

If anyone else can draw similar conclusions, please let me know. This is going to bug me until I can solve this 'mystery'. So if anyone knows of a fairy tale or folk tale that has the same general plot line, it would shed some major light.

thanks!! :lol: