The Book Of Lost Things by John Connolly

Weave

Title of Book: The Book Of Lost Things

Name of Author: John Connolly

Paperback: 384 pages

Publisher: Hodder Paperback (5 April 2007)

ISBN-10: 0340899484

ISBN-13: 978-0340899489

The Blurb:

'Once upon a time, there was a boy who lost his mother'. As twelve-year-old David takes refuge from his grief in the myths and fairytales so beloved of his dead mother, he finds the real world and the fantasy world begin to blend. That is when bad things start to happen. That is when the Crooked Man comes. And David is violently propelled into a land populated by heroes, wolves and monsters, his quest to find the legendary Book of Lost Things.

Review:

When I was young I was not a fan of fairy tales, to me, the idea of a Prince saving me, did not appeal, I always found I could sort things out better by myself and that includes escaping moments of minor peril.:)

So it was with some concern I decided to read 'The Book Of Lost Things', what sold me was the words at the back of the book, 'The Crooked Man'. I can now say that I enjoyed every part of this book.

'The Book Of Lost Things' tells the story of twelve year old David, a boy living in London during the Second War World, whose world changes following the death of his mother. David's father marries Rose, who gives birth to Georgie, their son and David's half brother. Life is not what David expects, he is miserable and alone, then David begins to dream of The Crooked Man.

With 'The Book Of Lost Things', John Connolly writes a fairy tale for adults, there are tales you will recognise but with a twist. The book is very poignant and aspects of the book will be familiar to the reader.

The only downside for me was that David (at times) was pretty annoying but then again he is only twelve years old.

All in all an excellent read, I recommend it highly.

Rating: 9/10

Edited by Weave

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They had this book in a 3 for 2 offer, so I ended up buying it without knowing too much about it. Looks like I may have picked up a good 'un. Sounds like it's a good book - looking forward to giving it a go.

Thanks for the review, Gyre. :)

I loved The Book of Lost Things, I had picked it up on a whim at the library (I liked the title) and enjoyed it so much I wish I'd bought it. I liked the way the story and characters were so familiar but not quite the same as my childhood faves (I loved fairy tales growing up).

I bought this one today, O's has been after it for a while and I will be reading it shortly.

I hope you enjoy it Lily, I really liked it, it had a sort of different spin on fairy tales, which was cool x

• 1 month later...

Thanks Louise, I have never been called a guru before! :lol:

I am really glad you enjoyed BOLT, I really liked the ending too, it fitted nicely didn't it. x

Very poignant without being mushy

Very poignant, it was a sort of nice but sad ending. x

I'm planning on reading this as my next book after the one I'm starting after the one I'm currently reading... Erm. That didn't make a whole lot of sense (i.e. Finish Crimson Petal tonight, then read Arlington Park, then get onto BOLT). That's my plan :lol:

Have to say, I basically bought this book because of your review Paula! You are a Guru!

I hope you enjoy it too PDR, it really is one of what I like to call, a hidden treasure x

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just finished The Book of Lost Things. It had such a sad start that it drew me in right away despite my misgivings about it being fantasy. It was a very easy read and I agree the ending was just right. I enjoyed it. Thanks for the review Gyre and for recommending it. :D

• 9 months later...

I just started this book on the Tube on the way to work this morning. I was very tempted to 'miss' my stop so I could continue reading!

I was imediately drawn to the front cover (the version with the red cover with the windy tree branches and the boy lying on one of them reading, in case there are different versions) and the title so bought it without knowing anything about it. I have been saving it for months and finally started it today. I can't wait to get further in to it!

Anna

Rennie, I am so glad you liked it, it is a really lovely book

(the ending got me when David was a old man)

Anna, looking forward to hearing your thoughts, I liked the cover too. :roll: