Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

I don't mind flashbacks at all but I think there should be more of the story set in the present then the past

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree in this particular case, cos I loved the structure of it, although I do think the solutions to some of the problems/situations were signposted waaay too much.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, I've actually just finished it and trying to figure how I feel about the amount of the story that is set in the past. But you'll have to wait for the review :D

:o  What if I don't want to wait? 

:giggle2:

I liked the bits set in the past more than I liked the actual story, it just annoyed me that it felt like two different books mushed into one.

9780340951439.jpg Misery - Stephen King

Synopsis

Misery Chastain was dead. Paul Sheldon had just killed her - with relief, with joy. Misery had made him rich; she was the heroine of a string of bestsellers. And now he wanted to get on to some real writing.

That's when the car accident happened, and he woke up in pain in a strange bed. But it wasn't the hospital. Annie Wilkes had pulled him from the wreck, brought him to her remote mountain home, splinted and set his mangled legs.

The good news was that Annie was a nurse and has pain-killing drugs. The bad news was that she was Paul's Number One Fan. And when she found out what Paul had done to Misery, she didn't like it. She didn't like it at all. And now he had to bring Misery back to life. Or else . 

Review

I am gradually making my way through King's entire anthology in no particular order, and this is probably the last of his 'most famous' books that I had left to read. And what a cracker it is. From the opening page we are thrust inside Paul Sheldon's head and even worse, his body. Dazed, confused and in pain, lots of pain, it appears to be a miracle that someone found him, that she has lots of painkillers for him, but why won't she take him to the hospital? Through Paul's delirium we are introduced to one of King's most terrifying creations, Annie Wilkes.

She seems harmless enough at first, a nurse and is a devoted fan  his number one fan so he must be in good hands. Annie has a copy of his latest Misery book, the books that made him rich but not the books he wants to be remembered for. Only she isn't too pleased with the ending, and then we see the real Annie start to emerge. 

This isn't a comfortable read, King makes the reader writhe and squirm along with Paul, his injuries are described in vivid, gruelling detail. This means the horror he's found himself in is felt entirely by the reader causing maximum empathy for Paul. One of the most distressing aspects was the helplessness of Paul's character, he both loves and hates Annie as she provides him with the painkillers that he becomes addicted to but refuses to them to him at times for no reason. He begs and pleads with her to not hurt him, to give him some medication. It reminds us how helpless we would be with a broken leg, how dependent we would be on others for simple things, and it makes us pray that it wouldn't be Annie Wilkes we had to depend on.

Annie is as brilliant a character as she is scary, she's insane, unpredictable, yet witty and caring at times which makes her all the more terrifying. We realise about half way through just how dangerous she is, and what she is capable of, even to her favourite author. Having seen the film a number of years ago I could picture no one else but Kathy Bates who played the role spot on. But if you think the film is uncomfortable to watch then be warned the book is even worse.

Misery was very close to getting a 10/10 from me but there are several chapters devoted to the showing the book that Annie forces Paul to write and I didn't find these interesting. I also didn't enjoy it quite as much as some of the King books that I have previously given 10/10 so for those reasons only...

Overall 9/10

All the Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell are 0.99p today on kindle.

Noooooooooooo, I'm not buying more books :lol:

ETA: okay, I might've bought one or two  :giggle2:

He's like a little devil sitting on your shoulder, whispering temptation into your ear. :lol: You're both wicked, with your bargains and your deals and your profligate book-buying! 

Noooooooooooo, I'm not buying more books :lol:

ETA: okay, I might've bought one or two  :giggle2:

Muahaha, which ones did you go for?

You may as well get them all while they're so cheap  :lurker:

He's like a little devil sitting on your shoulder, whispering temptation into your ear. :lol: You're both wicked, with your bargains and your deals and your profligate book-buying! 

No idea what you mean  :D   :angel_not:

2890090.jpg Republic of Thieves - Scott Lynch (Audio book read by Michael Page)

Synopsis

The third instalment of the Gentlemen Bas_tards.

Review

I had originally planned to wait until the paperback before buying this as I hate hardback books and would end up selling it then buying the paperback anyway. However the first two I listened to the audio books and they were simply amazing, and when I saw that Michael Page was back for the third novel and I just happened to have a spare audible credit available I couldn't resist. I'm very glad I didn't resist as the brilliance of Page's narration instantly brought the characters to life for me once again.

Lynch has created a rich and vivid world and filled it with brilliant and unforgettable characters. Locke and Jean are back and as great as ever, their 'on-page' chemistry continues in a realistic and emotional way, we are also finally introduced to the much discussed Sabetha who injects a needed female prospective. One of the main criticisms I had heard about this book is that it is basically two stories in one. We get the present day story which continues straight on from where Red Seas left off and the other story follows a young Locke about 15 years in the past. 

The present day story revolves around Locke and Jean attempting to rig an election in a foreign city for the Bonds Magi with whom they share a mutual hatred. However, Locke finds himself pitted against Sabetha, whom the opposing team have brought in to help them. This, to me, was the stronger of the two stories, I found myself really caring about the election and empathising with Locke's struggle against Sabetha, who he wants to win against but not hurt or annoy. The story set in the past was not without its charms though. We see a very young Locke, before he has joined the Gentlemen Bas-tards and his initial meeting with Sabetha before it skips ahead a bit to life with enigmatic Father Chains and the other Bas-tards. It's hard to describe what I loved without giving away spoilers, but my favourite moment of the book was the test that Father Chains gives Locke and Sabetha which is little more than a game, but becomes a completely compelling and gripping scene.

One of the issues I had with King of Thorns was that more of the story was set in the past then the present, but it didn't bother me here as much. For a start I would say it is about 60:40 Present:Past, but also the chapters set in past are so full of innocent charm that it really helps bring the reader connect with Locke, Jean and Sabetha who are much more serious, but still light hearted at times, in the present. It also nicely sets up the relationship between Locke and Sabetha which had only been hinted at in the previous novels, we see it unfurl and blossom nicely as the 'past' stories go on, which set up in the importance of it in the present. The 'past' chapters also have Carlo and Galdo in them who are easily the funniest characters I have read so far.

There wasn't much I didn't like about RoT, but I didn't think it was quite as good as Lies, I certainly preferred the first three quarters of the book as the set-ups for the climaxes of the stories were more fun then the climax itself, not too say they were disappointing, just the journey was more interesting than the destination. I suppose Sabetha could be a little bit irritating at times, but I think we as the reader are supposed to think this as Locke is also irritated by her. Also I think I would have preferred if the chapters in the past were more ancedotal, like they were to begin with, as oppose to having its own complete story arc.

Michael Page's narration deserves a special mention, he does so many characters all with their own distinct voice and tone. He also manages to make Locke, Jean and Sabetha's voices noticeably different in the past and present as they go from pre-adolescent to adult, on top of this he also gives the characters a number of different voices whilst in disguise yet is able to make them recognisable to the listener.

Overall 9/10

Edited by Timstar

Really glad you enjoyed it Tim. :) It's interesting that you preferred the present day story to the flashbacks - I felt that it wasn't given enough time, and as such wasn't exactly blown away by the story or the outcome (although I do like the set-up for the next book :D ). I loved the flashbacks more, especially how the characters were presented as stroppy teenagers for much of it. :lol:

I totally agree with you about loving the test Chains set up for Locke and Sabetha - such a great test, and such a great moment of foreshadowing for the main storyline. I also agree that Locke and Jean's relationship is always the stand-out feature of these novels.

Do you really think the next one will actually be released next year? :D

I loved the past chapters for the characters and their interactions, I just thought the actually story, putting on the play, wasn't as interesting as rigging the election. But that is very subjective, I don't feel like it was boring or badly written or anything, just preferred the other.

I hope it will be! I've not heard much about how Lynch has been doing lately but I'm guessing better then he was a few years ago.

Hope every had a great Christmas! Didn't get too many books this year, but here are the ones I did get:

Beautiful edition of the Count of Monte Cristo, with lots of full page illustrations. 

I was hoping to get either a nice edition of Homer's Odyssey or The Once and Future King but I see Santa gave that to Steve instead. 

I was hoping to get either a nice edition of Homer's Odyssey or The Once and Future King but I see Santa gave that to Steve instead. 

I wondered why it had 'To Tim' inside the cover  :giggle2:

Love that edition of The Count of Monte Cristo  :D   Look forward to hearing what you think of The Dispossessed, too  :smile:

Congrats on the books! They look very nice :). I do love seeing the photos of all your Christmas hauls!

Thanks!, Looking forward to seeing yours :)

I wondered why it had 'To Tim' inside the cover  :giggle2:

:angry:

Love that edition of The Count of Monte Cristo  :D   Look forward to hearing what you think of The Dispossessed, too  :smile:

Gorgeous isn't it!

So many SFs to read!

45252.jpg Pandora's Star - Peter F. Hamilton (Audio book read by John Lee)

Synopsis

In AD 2329, humanity has colonised over four hundred planets, all of them interlinked by wormholes. With Earth at its centre, the Intersolar Commonwealth now occupies a sphere of space approximately four hundred light years across.When an astronomer on the outermost world of Gralmond, observes a star 2000 light years distant - and then a neighbouring one - vanish, it is time for the Commonwealth to discover what happened to them. For what if their disappearance indicates some kind of galactic conflict? Since a conventional wormhole cannot be used to reach these vanished stars, for the first time humans need to build a faster-than-light starship, the Second Chance.

Review

Well this was a long one, 38 hours, and only half the story. Whereas most trilogies and duologies have an overall story as well as each individual booking encompassing it's own story arc, The Commonwealth Saga is very much one story split into two massive books. With that in mind it is quite difficult to judge the story itself other than to say how much I am enjoying it so far: quite a bit.

300 years in the future and mankind has spread out across the galaxy, the invention of wormhole generators has made interstellar travel a breeze and memory banks and cloning means death can be postponed indefinitely. The Commonwealth lives in peace, but the discovery of the disappearing planets threatens to change all that.

SFs often comes back to the old argument of ideas vs characters, it's difficult to get it right. Although I don't thing that Pandora's Star got it spot on, it is certainly a good attempt,  but with the paperback standing at nearly 900 pages it would be impressive not too include a lot of both. But in terms of strength, I think the ideas win out here, possible 70:30. It is packed with ideas including: Re-life, rejuvenation, memory crystals, organic circuitry tattoos, man-machine symbiosis, virtual vision, sentient intelligence, to name but a few.  The main ideas are all integral to the story but there are also a number of smaller ideas that are used for building up the world and create a nice background image.

There are tonnes of characters, but only a few stand out ones, the different view points give the reader a great overall view of the Commonwealth and the vast universe that Hamilton has created.

Given its length, it was certainly slow in places, it never rushes but mostly continues at a fairly steady pace, which is akin to a slow walk. My biggest criticism is that when the action does start, it is usually on a very large scale yet doesn't involve the characters, they might just see it happening elsewhere for example. This made it impersonal and ultimately I didn't really care if an entire city or population was destroyed, as the reader had no connection to it whatsoever.

John Lee is a solid narrator with a vast range of voices, some of which can be irritating but most are great and all are consistent.

Overall a good story with lots of interesting concepts, I will be listening to the next one, just not yet.

Overall 8/10