Summer Olympics

Katrina1968

So why aren't the men wearing budgie smugglers? My point stands. There are double standards in that sport and the women are objectified.

post-3835-0-09625600-1344117230_thumb.jpg

Not so, what the men are wearing are totally in tune with what is popular today for men. The baggy look has been popular for a number of years now. So is the ball cap worn backward. :)

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who IS the British woman commentator for the weight-lifting??? Her voice is AWFUL!! Sounds likes she's a two pack a day smoker.

And I've just noticed we say 'you know' all the time. Listening to our medal winners being interviewed, it gets used the same way other people say ' ummm' and 'like'. :doh:

ps. Love the old pictures of the volleyball players Muggles :D

Ooh, you've hit on another pet hate of mine, Muggles! (Assuming that things done in your country are done exactly the same in the rest of the world.) Maybe that's how it's done in America, but it's certainly not done that way at Australian beaches! Anyway, regardless of how people dress on beaches, I don't see why they must wear exactly the same thing to play beach volleyball.

Not so, what the men are wearing are totally in tune with what is popular today for men. The baggy look has been popular for a number of years now. So is the ball cap worn backward. :)

Maybe that's how it's done in America, but it's certainly not done that way at Australian beaches!

Oh Kylie, please don't tell me Aussie men are still wearing budgie smugglers at the beach!!!! :giggle2:

A stunning, brilliant day for Team GB. My stand out moment of the Olympics so far; the look of shock on Katherine Copeland's face turning to absolute joy when it started to sink in that she had won gold.

Best comment: "You're going to be on a stamp tomorrow." Priceless.

Oh Kylie, please don't tell me Aussie men are still wearing budgie smugglers at the beach!!!! :giggle2:

Yes. :( And it's usually the men that can't pull it off (the look, I mean!) That includes the leader of the opposition party and almost certainly our next Prime Minister, Tony Abbott:

post-3835-0-56246100-1344143227_thumb.jpg

A stunning, brilliant day for Team GB. My stand out moment of the Olympics so far; the look of shock on Katherine Copeland's face turning to absolute joy when it started to sink in that she had won gold.

Best comment: "You're going to be on a stamp tomorrow." Priceless.

:DI went to the post office on Day 4 and there was a general air of despondency that we had no-one to put on a stamp :D

Yes. :( And it's usually the men that can't pull it off (the look, I mean!) That includes the leader of the opposition party and almost certainly our next Prime Minister, Tony Abbott:

Priceless .. look at the girls laughing :D

Anyway, if we're going to base things on what the average person would wear on a beach then .. going by my own experience .. it would be an anorak with the hood up :D Mark my words, some of those girls will get an awful chill .. this is Blighty after all ... my Nan would never have allowed it, she'd be on the touchline (?) with cardies and a flask of bovril :)

Poppy: I don't know who the commentator is .. I don't watch the weight lifting often because it wears me out and makes my knee's ache :D makes me a bit ashamed to be honest that I make such a fuss about carrying the hoover upstairs :D

I DO hope Usain does well today .. would be awesome to see him fly (not literally of course .. that would probably get him DQ'd)

.. and COME ON ANDY!!!!!!! If Roger wins again I'm going to cut the letters R and F out of my vocabulary ... and that would be an absolute phucking catast ... disaste .. uhmmm ... twagedy :D

Although, to be fair, the hat he is wearing makes him look a bigger numpty . . .

Have no idea what was going on, but just watched an amazing bout in the fencing, with Team GB taking on the Italians who are world number 1. GB just lost, but it was exciting to watch! Did see Pendleton's sprint qualifying though - another fantastic WR.

Although, to be fair, the hat he is wearing makes him look a bigger numpty . . .

Believe me when I say he doesn't need the hat or the Speedos to make him look like a numpty. He's a natural at it no matter what he wears. :)

I haven't seen as much of the games in the past few days because my body clock seems to be reverting back to Australian time. I don't think I can stay awake to watch Usain's race, but I'm sure I'll see plenty of replays. :)

So why aren't the men wearing budgie smugglers? My point stands. There are double standards in that sport and the women are objectified.

post-3835-0-09625600-1344117230_thumb.jpg

I don't think it is fair to be critical of the U.S. women for choosing to wear bikini bottoms in beach volleyball. And yes, the women "choose" what to wear, it isn't mandated. The U.S. team yesterday chose to wear bikini bottoms. The Netherlands team that they played chose to wear tight fitting full length bottoms. The U.S. women seem to be comfortable in the bikini bottom. It sure hasn't hurt their performance. Over 3 Olympics, so far, they are 18 - 0 in matches and 36 - 1 in sets won.

Also, watched the finals in women Heptathlon won by Jessica Ennis of GB. about half of the women wore bikini bottoms and half wore a different type bottom. It is their choice as to what they are most comfortable wearing. I wouldn't think about being critical of those that wore the bikini bottom. :)

LOL, have you watched any of the men's track and field competition. Nothing is more revealing than what some of the men wear. However, they choose to wear the suit as they are comfortable wearing it.

Edited by muggle not

Ben Ainslie = legend :D :D

Absolutely! So exciting, but Percy and Simpson must be devastated to lose out on the gold. Just hope they see how much support they have and can reassess in the morning and be pleased that they still won an Olympic silver medal.

Absolutely! So exciting, but Percy and Simpson must be devastated to lose out on the gold. Just hope they see how much support they have and can reassess in the morning and be pleased that they still won an Olympic silver medal.

Well they really, really should be :smile: I feel the same about Zac Purchase and Mark Hunter, they should be so, so proud. I saw their post-race interview about four times yesterday, and it had me in tears every time. Didn't help when John Inverdale started blubbing as well :wibbly::blush2::lol:

Well they really, really should be :smile: I feel the same about Zac Purchase and Mark Hunter, they should be so, so proud. I saw their post-race interview about four times yesterday, and it had me in tears every time. Didn't help when John Inverdale started blubbing as well :wibbly::blush2::lol:

I know what you mean - I watched the swimming last night and after the women's 4x100 medley, Sharon Davies interviewed the British girls, and Fran Halsall got upset, and Sharon had to hug her, then Sharon got upset and couldn't talk and had to just wave the girls on - I was in bits.

Oh my gosh, I caught up with that in the highlights .. hadn't even seen the race .. and was crying by the end of it. Heartbreaking .. what a credit these athletes are. It makes me even more annoyed about footballers really.

OMG!! Andy *screams loudly* :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:I'm so happy for him :)

And this means you can keep using R and F!! I'd just turned over from the pommel horse final (Louis got silver, joint highest score but lower on execution so came second, and Max got bronze) to see Andy serve that ace to win. :exc:

Now over to the women's sprint final in the velodrome ... this channel hopping is exhausting!