Summer Olympics

Katrina1968

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boris Johnson joked that we had been quite kind in restraining ourselves from taking all the medals early on. :haha: I'm glad to see we're starting to grab a few. :D

The ZigZag is now open for walkers at least (re-opens for cars at the weekend), so Coran and I are up nice and early as the light is so good to take some pictures. In the meantime, I am very happy to see that the Dorking Advertise rhas published the article that I sent them in the online edition - it would have been nice to have seen my name in print, but this way it will probably get more readers, so it's all good. It can also be read on my own blog (listed below - the paper edited it slightly as there were one or two profanities in there).

In the meantime, I have now added some of the best pictures from the weekend to my Picassa account, which can be viewed here.

Edited by Talisman

Ive had the tv on the olympics since it started! just watched the diving and now about to watch mens gymnastics :)

We've had no diving coverage :motz:

They seem to broadcast only sports that Romania is involved in...which makes sense, but I feel like I'm missing out a lot :(

Looking forward to see more gymnastics, so proud of Romania for the Bronze medal!

Great day so far across the competition for the Great British athletes. Gemma Gibbons into the final of the women's -78kg category with a gusty and I believe somewhat unexpected performance (not that I know anything about Judo). Also, in the boxing Anthony Ogogo has knocked out the World Champion and world number one to get through to the quarter-finals.

Elsewhere we're doing well in the sailing, have our canoeists through to the final, Murray through to the semi-finals (uh-oh!) and we picked up another silver in the rowing this morning. Great successes all around and still a strong chance of medals to come in the Velodrome. I knew we could do it. :D

Edited by Ben

Another great day so far .. so exciting :boogie: I love watching the canoe slalom .. it looks terrifying but awesome.

I'm enjoying Ian Thorpe (he's always slightly sarky .. which I like) but Mark Foster :wub: .. he's something else :D (Adonis .. possibly?)

Love watching all the sports, find myself watching things I never normally do .. Judo for example and Shooting. The atmosphere at all the venues looks and sounds amazing .. the velodrome has turned into some sort of Roman ampitheatre .. I'd be terrified if I had to compete in there .. but excited :exc:

I was a bit disappointed that some of the newspapers had gone with a full page pic of Bradley ... I think he is phenomenal but would like to have seen him share the front page with Helen & Heather (some papers did do that) .. perhaps I've been reading too much Ginny Woolf :D

I just learned that Jenna Fox, who won silver, is from my home town! Woohoo! My town gets quite a bad rap usually, so it's good to see someone making good. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that she's from around here given that the white water stadium used in Sydney's Olympics is about 2 mins away from where I live.

Poppyshake, I had to do a training course for the SES at the white water rafting stadium here (similar in scariness to London's course), but instead of going through the course in a nice comfy canoe I had to jump straight into the water (more than once) and then try and swim (rescue myself) out of it. I hadn't done a jot of swimming in about 15 years. :o

Poppyshake, I had to do a training course for the SES at the white water rafting stadium here (similar in scariness to London's course), but instead of going through the course in a nice comfy canoe I had to jump straight into the water (more than once) and then try and swim (rescue myself) out of it. I hadn't done a jot of swimming in about 15 years. :o

Oh my I'd be terrified .. either in a canoe or out of it. Well done you :)

Well done to Jenna and congrats on another medal for Australia :smile:

We are loving all these medals!!! Keeping fingers crossed that Team GB Men and Women can do good in the football, we were lucky enough to see the Mexico v Switzerland and GB v Uruguay games last night, the atmosphere was fantastic and all the nationalities mixed together in complete harmony. It was wonderful to be part of the Olympic experience and I'm living in hope that I can somehow manage to get some tickets for the Athletic before we go on holiday next week, there's probably no chance but I'll keep trying!! :)

Has your local news been mentioning your towns olympic connections? One of the gymnasts trained near me and also a cyclist ,apparently. It was quite daft coverage, because they only showed the inside off the gym and I had to read my local paper to find out the details. See libraries are useful.