Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 18

Janet

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry. It's not brilliant, but it's an enjoyable enough read, and I quite like the main characters.

Went into a charity shop today and saw a biography on James Stewart. As I love biographies from 'Old Hollywood' days, I snapped it up :)

I'm about 100 pages into Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult.....I'm not really that impressed so far, I really hope it picks up very soon

Oh dear...I have been like that recently with Jodi's books....do you think she is going off the boil a bit with her writing.

Oh dear...I have been like that recently with Jodi's books....do you think she is going off the boil a bit with her writing.

Good question....I've wondered that too. Or maybe I am just hoping the rest of her books turn out as well as My Sister's Keeper....I keep thinking that she seems to take a bit of a 'safer route' with the rest....or maybe it's me thats changed

Read for the best part of the night and through today to rattle through the almost five hundred pages of Sandra Brown's novel Lethal. I can't remember the last time I read in such long stints and that speaks volumes for the novel's ferocious pace. I thought it was a rip-roaring page-turner which kept surprising me with twists and turns right until the end. Excellent.

Now moving on to The Bones of Avignon by Jefferson Bass, which was kindly sent to me my Quercus books.

On Chapter 6 of The Selection by Kiera Cass and liking it so far. There's a Hunger Games vibe, but it's different. At the beggining it seemed that the author couldn't choose between present or past perspective, but now she chose and maintain on past. 17% on kindle.

Finished Voyager by Diana Gabriel. A little disappointed. Mainly I thought it too busy and everything felt rushed. Two events, in particular, needed much more attention. Now reading Wizard and Glass of the Dark Tower series. Very happy to be back in that world.

Been travelling the last few days - thankfully with a book this time - and managed to complete A Tale of Two Cities yesterday.

Oh, you've finished it already :o Good on you! I know it took me a lot longer to finish, you were quick! I can't wait to read your review :D

I'm reading Books, Baguettes and Bedbugs by Jeremy Mercer .. about his time at the Shakespeare & Co bookshop in Paris .. très bon :D

It must be simply marvellous! I feel like going and buying cheese, wine and grapefruit :D

I read more of The Hippopotamus last night in bed. It's going good, but I fear that if I don't finish it soon, I'll loose the plot and the mojo.

Finished The People Next Door and have moved onto Dangerous Waters by Anne Allen...I'm 6 chapters in and really enjoying it.

Andie P x

We had and still have cake, a very nice choc chip with white choc buttercream icing on top, I had to share my buttercream with the dogs as I'm not a big fan of white chocolate...they didn't complain!

Oh to be a dog in your house chalie :D

Are you only reading books set in and about Paris now? To get you in the mood? :-))

You guessed it .. yes :D but it's not going all that well. A couple of the books have put me off a bit :o not this one though, it's fab.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts. I've got this one on my TBR pile.

I am stretching it out cos I'm loving it so much. It's just fascinating stuff :smile:

It must be simply marvellous! I feel like going and buying cheese, wine and grapefruit :D

What is their word for grapefruit? ... pamplemousse? .. isn't that a great word :smile:I do feel I would have made a good Parisian but then apparently I'd have to be jolly rude or at least quite brusque and I don't think I'd ever get used to not apologising myself to death.

I read more of The Hippopotamus last night in bed. It's going good, but I fear that if I don't finish it soon, I'll loose the plot and the mojo.

I remember laughing lots and also being quite shocked/revolted :D

Finished A Thousand Splenid Suns this morning. It was fabulous, best thing I've read in months!

I'm currently reading All Hell Let Loose (rather hefty tome!) as non fiction alongside other fiction but I think I might stick to it exclusively for a few days because when a book is that good I'm reluctant to start a new one which won't be as good immediately afterwards. I'm weird.

What is their word for grapefruit? ... pamplemousse? .. isn't that a great word :smile:I do feel I would have made a good Parisian but then apparently I'd have to be jolly rude or at least quite brusque and I don't think I'd ever get used to not apologising myself to death.

Pamplemousse? That sounds like a dessert :D I'm sure you would've made a great Parisian, but you would've been the exception to the rule ('of the jolly rude or at least quite brusque Parisian') :smile2:

I remember laughing lots and also being quite shocked/revolted :D

I seriously thought that this was going to be in a way a rather serious book and something quite uplifting. And I thought how has Fry managed to restrain himself, this doesn't seem like him. And then BAM!! Last night in bed when I was reading further. Out of nowhere. Without me having foreseen it in any way. The boy

did the nasty with the horse.

I was so shocked!!!! And yet I was like, 'Well, here's Fry for you. Yep.'

:haha: I'm in such a turmoil about the book that I'm actually going to write a review on it today on my reading log, like a review of half the book, because I haven't finished it yet. But I can't wait, I have to write about it today.

Oh, you've finished it already :o Good on you! I know it took me a lot longer to finish, you were quick! I can't wait to read your review :D

I've just now put down my thoughts in my book log. Thanks again frankie for encouraging me to carry on with it, or I'd have never known the beautiful Mr.Carton.

:friends0:

I've just now put down my thoughts in my book log. Thanks again frankie for encouraging me to carry on with it, or I'd have never known the beautiful Mr.Carton.

:friends0:

As you may have noticed yesterday, I was keeping a close eye on your reading blog, because I was expecting to come across the review on the book. But no matter that you only posted it today, because I got to read some other excellent reviews and got to add books to my wishlist :D I'm going to go and read your review now! And you are welcome, I'm only too happy to spread the word on the good man :giggle2::friends3:

Read another hundred or so pages of Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo last night, merely another thousand or so to go. :haha: