Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 18

Janet

Finished Tiny Sunbirds Far Away which was a lovely read, I must see if Christie Watson has written anything else yet, starting The Good Father by Diane Chamberlain, which is a review copy for Waterstone's, not to be confused with The Good Father by Noah Hawley! :smile:

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illness restricted my reading over the weekend and I only managed a paltry one chapter of A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. It is such a short book, but I feel as though I've been reading it forever. :(

I finished Veronika Decides to Die this morning. I really enjoyed the first half of the book but did feel it tailed off - although that might be because I guessed the ending! Still a good read though and another to add to my woeful total of books read from the 1001 list!

Now starting A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

Illness restricted my reading over the weekend and I only managed a paltry one chapter of A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. It is such a short book, but I feel as though I've been reading it forever. :(

Ah I know that feeling, pesky illness getting in the way of valuable reading time. I hope you feel better soon. :friends3:

Now starting A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

Will be interested to see how you get on with this one, it's been on my TBR pile for what seems like forever now.

I finished The Loved & Envied this morning. I'm going to go for something completely different for my next read The Black House by Peter May

I don't think I've posted about the Patricia Highsmith bio I'm reading. Beautiful Shadow, by Andrew Wilson. So well done. He has access to her life long diaries and boy oh boy does he ever write a thorough rendition of her life. Phew! She was a fascinating person, quite troubled, but her childhood was mean to say the least. If I have posted about it, sorry about that! :D

Just arrived by way of UPS.....

Matters of the Heart, A Creole Love Story by Mary M. Culver - Regarding truth in advertising, she is a friend that comes to the same poet's group we sometimes go to, and I've only read her poetry so far, which is excellent.

Railsea by China Mieville

Hedy's Folly by Richard Rhodes - Who knew Hedy Lamarr was an inventor!!?

Becoming Queen Victoria by Kate Williams

The Queen Mother by Lady Colin Campbell

Edited by pontalba

Finished The Forever War by Joe Haldeman, I like it a lot but I felt the story was a little rushed (not surprising given it is set over 1100 years) which didn't leave much room for characterisation. This isn't a bad thing I suppose as it can't of puts you in the boots of the protagonist. The science was good and interesting but I found some of the locations hard to imagine.

I did like the overall concept, a war against a faceless foe with no seeming end in sight, due to time dilation one companies tour can take centuries meaning all their state-of-the-art weaponry is obsolete when they get back.

Overall: 8/10. I have the omnibus edition, so I will read the sequel and companion novel but not just yet.

Started reading Diamonds are Forever by Ian Fleming.

I've read nearly 300 pages of 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin and I'm really not sure what to make of this book at all.

I found this book very slow and difficult to get into,but after about 150-200 pages I was really getting into it. Now the story has switched completely and I feel it's like 2/3 genres of books rolled into one. It seems to be a book with an identity crisis. Is it just me or has anyone else found that with this book?

In a fit of obsession I have just read my way through to book 5 of the Parasol Protectorate 'Timeless' I loved it so I fell riht of the I won't buy myself anything bandwagon, all I can say is thank god books don't make you fat :D

It's my birthday today and I got lots of book pressies, along with money from family that I spent on books too, I'll list them on my book blog shortly. :-))

Happy birthday chalie!! xxxx

It's my birthday today and I got lots of book pressies, along with money from family that I spent on books too, I'll list them on my book blog shortly. :-))

:hbsign:

Happy Birthday chaliepud :flowers2: Have a splendid year!

Been travelling the last few days - thankfully with a book this time - and managed to complete A Tale of Two Cities yesterday.

It's my first Dickens' and also the first classic I attempted to on my own (the others are what I did at school) - and I feel good about that!

I struggled with the first 20 pages - and was ready to give up, and thanks to frankie, picked it up again. Happily the book too picked up in building the plot - and either got easier to understand, or I got accostmed to the writing - but I actually began to enjoy it.

Am back home now, and have just picked up What Katy Did.

I managed to read a few pages of a book! Woo Hoo! It's been a while now, but I had an appointment at my dentist, and took along Inver's Book Ring book 'Rescue' by Anita Shreve. I arrived early, and by the time I was called I actually hurrumphed as I wanted to continue reading.

So, big huggles to Diane - this may be the 'Rescue' my mojo needed. :D

In ther news, 'Joss Whedon - The Complete; The TV series, the movies, the comic books and more' arrived today. It was recommended to me, and looks to have quite high ratings on Amazon. The blurb reads, ..... an irresistible mix of analysis, interpretation and sheer celebration.

Looking forward to dipping into this one. :smile:

Happy Birthday Chalie :smile: .. hope you have a lovely day :e010: and get cake!

I'm reading Books, Baguettes and Bedbugs by Jeremy Mercer .. about his time at the Shakespeare & Co bookshop in Paris .. très bon :D

Happy Birthday Chalie :smile: .. hope you have a lovely day :e010: and get cake!

I'm reading Books, Baguettes and Bedbugs by Jeremy Mercer .. about his time at the Shakespeare & Co bookshop in Paris .. très bon :D

We had and still have cake, a very nice choc chip with white choc buttercream icing on top, I had to share my buttercream with the dogs as I'm not a big fan of white chocolate...they didn't complain!

Are you only reading books set in and about Paris now? To get you in the mood? :-))

Happy birthday Chaliepud!

In ther news, 'Joss Whedon - The Complete; The TV series, the movies, the comic books and more' arrived today. It was recommended to me, and looks to have quite high ratings on Amazon. The blurb reads, ..... an irresistible mix of analysis, interpretation and sheer celebration.

Sounds great. I've been on a big Buffy kick lately and today watched an interview with Joss and some of the cast and crew. He seems like such a nice, normal, nerdy guy. :)

Can't wait to hear your thoughts. I've got this one on my TBR pile.

I actually managed to read for about a half hour stretch today. Can't remember the last time I read that long. I also received two books in the mail: Trixie Belden Quiz Books 1 and 2. :)

Posted out today, two books to fellow bookcrossers

Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult

Dancing in a Distant Place by Isla Dewar