Steve's Bookshelf 2012

Karsa Orlong

I'm not sure what replaced it (I better go back and check ;)). I just stuck to the two upper floors on my visit.

I'm not even sure that they have a separate section for westerns. In fact, I'm sure they don't. Do your bookshops have separate sections for westerns?

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big Waterstones at Piccadilly had a separate Western section last time I was there, but it was one of those mobile shelf units they stick in the middle of the floor sometimes, so I'm guessing it was only temporary.

Book # 36: The Shadow of the Torturer (Book of the New Sun Volume 1) by Gene Wolfe

ShadowoftheTorturer.jpg

Synopsis:

"One is not born into the torturers' guild, one is adopted there from the children of its victims. In the great Citadel built of unsmeltable gray metal, young Severian and his fellow apprentices study to achieve the rank of Master Torturer learning the ancient mysteries of the guild, sworn to torture whom the Autarch says to torture, and to kill whom he says to kill.

But with the coming of Thecla, a beautiful and intelligent woman whose indiscretions have lost her her place in the inner circle of concubines of the House Absolute, life changes for Severian, as he disobeys the rules he has been raised to follow."

Thoughts:

I thought this book was at once brilliant and frustrating. Brilliant because Severian is such an interesting character, and his situation is so well conveyed. Frustrating due to Wolfe's frequent philosophising which, to be honest, left me a little cold. As usual, I'd tried not to find out too much about the story beforehand and, from the way it starts, it appears to be conventional fantasy. Then, very gradually, futuristic elements begin to slip in and it becomes apparent that all is not quite as it seems. The problem is, I can't actually say why, because the book ends very abruptly and without giving any answers away. You're undoubtedly meant to dive straight into the second volume and keep going through all four books, but my aversion to reading more than one book in a series (or by the same author) in succession means I probably won't do that.

I'm assuming, given the numerous hints dropped during the narrative, that there is something similar to Jack Vance's Dying Earth books going on here, and that we're actually in the far future. Much of the story is given over to Severian's journey towards the wall, a towering construction of metal that disappears up into the clouds and surrounds the city in which he has lived his whole life. In fact, until now he has never left the central citadel where he has learned his trade. But one particular choice changes all that, and I must admit I was totally surprised and a little shocked when it happened. It is written in such a matter-of-fact way that I almost passed over it without realising exactly what Severian had done. At that point I went from finding the book quite interesting to wanting to know what happens next, which is good.

The story is told in the first person, which is always a little strange in this type of book because it takes away any threat to the main character - you know he's going to survive because he lived to tell the story. But it's really well written, with stories within the story. There are a fair number of invented words that leave you trying to guess what is what, although some are just plays on real words. It's strangely old-fashioned in some ways but I think this is quite deliberate to fool the reader into thinking it's a conventional fantasy story. I think there's going to be much more to it than that.

7/10

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Thanks Tim. Yes, I got them all a few months back when SF Gateway was doing deals on all its ebooks (they were all £2.99 at the time, and I got the Lyonesse books then as well).

Considering some of the stuff that's above it in the list, a little, yeah! :lol:

Such as Terry Goodkind? :giggle2:

Thanks Tim. Yes, I got them all a few months back when SF Gateway was doing deals on all its ebooks (they were all £2.99 at the time, and I got the Lyonesse books then as well).

Lyonesse looks really interesting! Have you started it yet?

Such as Terry Goodkind? :giggle2:

Mind your language! :lol:

Yeah, I can't get over that. I can't judge, as I haven't read them - but I've steered clear of them due to all the negativity surrounding them. I did quite enjoy the tv series, but there might have been other reasons for that :lol: Still waiting to hear what Ooshie thought of the first book, which is - apparently - not too bad.

Lyonesse looks really interesting! Have you started it yet?

No, not yet. It's getting towards the top of the TBR pile, though.

I did quite enjoy the tv series, but there might have been other reasons for that :lol:

I've not seen it but one review I saw stated " it's only loosely based on Goodkind's first doorstopper" So that might have something to do with it?

Edited by Timstar

I've not seen it but one review I saw stated " it's only loosely based on Goodkind's first doorstopper" So that might have something to do with it?

Nah, I was thinking more of Kahlan (foreground) :wub:

CaraKahlan.jpg

Can I comment or is it useless, have you drowned in your pool of drool?

It's not a pool, it's an ocean. The moon's gravitational pull affects it, too :lol:

So book snobbery, aye? Mmmkay... Read any Pratchett lately, aye Steve?

:giggle:

Ha! :lol:

No, but I may do one day. Unlike you, I'm not prejudiced :giggle2:

It's not a pool, it's an ocean. The moon's gravitational pull affects it, too :lol:

That's quite nasty to the max, yuck! :o

:D

No, but I may do one day. Unlike you, I'm not prejudiced :giggle2:

Yeah you are. The difference is, I know I am, but you don't know you are! Which do you think is worse? ;)

Yeah you are. The difference is, I know I am, but you don't know you are! Which do you think is worse? ;)

:lol:

Them there's fighting words, missy :theboss:

I bet my dad's bigger than your dad :P:giggle2:

How appropriate - you fight like a cow.

I loved that game, right down to the bit in the end credits when it told you to stop looking at the screen and go away :lol:

How appropriate - you fight like a cow.

I was waiting to see if you had the guts to post that :D Because not everyone is going to watch the video in the link and you calling me a cow seems quite rude (if one doesn't know the game) :lol:

Loving the new SF Masterworks cover for Frank Herbert's masterpiece, Dune:

Dune.jpg

Makes me want to get a copy to replace the edition I've already got. Hmmm ...