• Announcements

• Hayley

Summer Supporter Giveaway   08/31/2020

Going on a Summer Holiday (Sort Of...)     The summer giveaway for Patreon supporters is finally here and this time we're doing something a little bit different. I want supporters to tell me where you would go on holiday, if you could go anywhere. The winner will receive a bookish prize based on their answer!   Terms and conditions are as usual. Patreon supporters will be automatically entered into the giveaway and selected at random. As we're a little late this year the draw will be held on the second weekend of September. If you aren't currently a supporter but want to be involved in the giveaway you can sign up to support us here:   https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum  

Well, it's coming up to June already(!) and I'm feeling my seasonal urge to read Midsummer Nights Dream, and if I can find my elderly DVD, watch that too. This is one play I'd like to see on stage, maybe semi ballet, it could be beautiful. Romeo and Juliet too is a summer read for me.

At the other end of the scale, what but MacBeth and Antony and Cleopatra for deepest darkest winter?

Seems silly, but habits form and to read these plays at other times just feels wrong to me now, so I dabble about in the others and various poetry, when I feel like a bit of musical expression throughout the year. 

Modern language can be so boring, can't it?

I may tarry no longer - 

Happy :readingtwo: All

Have to admit I have always felt rather intimidated by Shakespeare and aside from studying Macbeth at school and reading a couple of the sonnets I've stayed well away.

However, the BBC have recently put up some of the Shakespeare plays on iPlayer. I watched Othello and was blown away. Fantastic actors but I was also drawn in by the speeches and the plot. It has definitely made me change my perspective on Shakespeare and I really hope to watch more of the plays on iPlayer.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should watch next? :) 

On 22/08/2020 at 7:24 PM, Angury said:

Have to admit I have always felt rather intimidated by Shakespeare and aside from studying Macbeth at school and reading a couple of the sonnets I've stayed well away.

However, the BBC have recently put up some of the Shakespeare plays on iPlayer. I watched Othello and was blown away. Fantastic actors but I was also drawn in by the speeches and the plot. It has definitely made me change my perspective on Shakespeare and I really hope to watch more of the plays on iPlayer.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should watch next? :) 

I always remember a teacher I had once saying 'we were never meant to read Shakespeare's plays, we were meant to watch them'... which is a good point really.

I would vote for Macbeth next, to see how it compares to your memory of it from school!