Claire's book list 2014

chesilbeach

I've been catching up on your reading log,  what a number of great reviews! I don't know what I'm going to do with my wishlist: the last time I added something to it, I got a notice saying the post is too long. And now I'm going to add a lot of titles to the list, thanks to you... :D

Mwahahaha, my evil plan to make other people's wish lists longer than mine is working!

A five floor bookshop?! :thud: I want to visit! The biggest bookshop in Finland has three floors, and to me that's huge. 3 miles of bookshelves? I want to visit!! 

I'm betting it was a great outing in Oxford!

Although it is five floors, it's on a corner plot, and each floor is not huge … still big enough, but it doesn't compare to a department store, for example. Worth a visit though, if you ever happen to be in the area, but the Blackwells is MUCH more impressive!

Back to your reviews: 

I'm glad you really enjoyed The Winter Queen! I think it's a real gem and something rather unusual. But we already talked about this in the Authors Who Cover the Widest Ranges -thread. I've never gotten around to reading the next book in the series, so I'm hoping you'll get there soon so I can read your thoughts on it! :giggle2:

Well, I had a look at the second book while I was in a book shop a few weeks ago, and I noticed that some sections the writing has been turned through 90 degrees on the page (it looked like it was supposed to mimic a broadsheet newspaper) and it put me off buying the paperback, as it looked like it would be awkward to read. I will read it, but I think I'm going to get the Kindle version, as if it does the same in there, you can easily turn your Kindle or change the setting to turn the text, so it should be easier to read.

I haven't read many books by Alan Bennett and I'm not at all familiar with his persona, but I've read The Uncommon Reader twice and have really enjoyed it, so that's good :D I also love Adrian Mole so this book is definitely going on my wishlist! :smile2:

He's more famous here as a playwright and scriptwriter. His scripts for television include Talking Heads which are single drama monologues (he performed one of them himself), and he wrote The History Boys which was a hugely successful play in the West End and The Madness of King George III, both of which he adapted for film. He's also got a very distinctive voice, a beautiful, soft, melancholic Yorkshire accent, and when I was little, I remember him appearing on Jackanory which was an old BBC children's programme where actors narrated children's books. He is wonderful to listen to. :) Definitely one of our National Treasures!

The Dog by Kerstin Ekman is a book I cannot not  add to my wishlist :blush: 

I think you'll really enjoy it - I can't see anyone who's a dog lover not enjoying it, to be honest!

On another note: I've seen copies of Ali Smith's books at the library many times and they always make me think of you :D

Awww, thanks! :blush:

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only Ali Smith book I've ever read was The Whole Story and Other Stories for my creative writing class in my final year at university, and I absolutely loved it. I thought she was fantastic.

Where would you suggest I go next? Perhaps one of her novels? Or do you just love her so much that you couldn't possibly suggest a starting point? :P

Mwahahaha, my evil plan to make other people's wish lists longer than mine is working!

Evil! :D I went to look at the first page of your reading log and couldn't see your wishlist anywhere. I suppose it's too long to be posted on here? Did the forum crash down the first time you tried to post the list? :D

Well, I had a look at the second book while I was in a book shop a few weeks ago, and I noticed that some sections the writing has been turned through 90 degrees on the page (it looked like it was supposed to mimic a broadsheet newspaper) and it put me off buying the paperback, as it looked like it would be awkward to read. I will read it, but I think I'm going to get the Kindle version, as if it does the same in there, you can easily turn your Kindle or change the setting to turn the text, so it should be easier to read.

Sounds mildly annoying :/ Good thing you have a Kindle, it'll make it loads easier for you. I think the libraries over here lend their eReaders for customers, I might try one out someday and I'll have to remember to read the second novel with that :D

He's more famous here as a playwright and scriptwriter. His scripts for television include Talking Heads which are single drama monologues (he performed one of them himself), and he wrote The History Boys which was a hugely successful play in the West End and The Madness of King George III, both of which he adapted for film. He's also got a very distinctive voice, a beautiful, soft, melancholic Yorkshire accent, and when I was little, I remember him appearing on Jackanory which was an old BBC children's programme where actors narrated children's books. He is wonderful to listen to. :) Definitely one of our National Treasures!

I did know he's a playwright but I didn't know what he's actually done, so thanks for the info :) He's one of those multi-talented, creative people who manage to get a lot of things done.

I used to visit a tiny little bookshop in Bondi when I lived there but they shut down about a month before I left. :(

I only know of one Bondi bookshop (Alice and Gertrude), which I made a special trip to visit recently (I live way out on the other side of Sydney). It was a combined cafe and bookshop, and the place was so tiny that it couldn't comfortably fit a cafe OR a bookstore, but they still crammed both in! It was rather awkward and annoying to be bending over people and squeezing past their chairs (literally) while I tried to browse. Not a pleasant browsing experience at all. But of course, this was in trendy Bondi, so it's acceptable (sarcasm).

On another note: I've seen copies of Ali Smith's books at the library many times and they always make me think of you :D

Yes, I always think of Chesil too! Hopefully Claire has forgotten that I didn't think too much of the one Ali Smith book I read (although now I've just reminded her again... :hide: ) I did like it, but I wasn't in love with it, and now I can't really remember anything about it at all.  :blush2:

I must also admit that I wasn't particularly impressed with Alan Bennett's The Uncommon Reader. In fact, I left it out in a pile of books to get rid of recently and my partner randomly picked it up. He ended up loving it, so I gave it to him. He thinks I'm crazy. :D

I must also admit that I wasn't particularly impressed with Alan Bennett's The Uncommon Reader. In fact, I left it out in a pile of books to get rid of recently and my partner randomly picked it up. He ended up loving it, so I gave it to him. He thinks I'm crazy. :D

I remember you didn't like it all that much. And yes, you're crazy :P:giggle2::D 

I only know of one Bondi bookshop (Alice and Gertrude), which I made a special trip to visit recently (I live way out on the other side of Sydney). It was a combined cafe and bookshop, and the place was so tiny that it couldn't comfortably fit a cafe OR a bookstore, but they still crammed both in! It was rather awkward and annoying to be bending over people and squeezing past their chairs (literally) while I tried to browse. Not a pleasant browsing experience at all. But of course, this was in trendy Bondi, so it's acceptable (sarcasm).

Haha! I lived in Randwick so Bondi was a convenient shopping mall basically. The beach sucks, I always tell everyone to go to Coogee instead.

I remember you didn't like it all that much. And yes, you're crazy :P:giggle2::D

:( ... :)

Haha! I lived in Randwick so Bondi was a convenient shopping mall basically. The beach sucks, I always tell everyone to go to Coogee instead.

I've never been much of a beach person, and I don't like crowds anyway, so I generally avoid beaches. I took Frankie to Manly when she came to Australia. I can't remember specifically why I chose Manly, but it might have been because it involved a scenic ferry ride. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear, this thread is woefully neglected :(

I've had a cold for the last week, and only managed just some reading today, my first since last Wednesday. All the more annoying that the cough I've got won't let me lie down, so my sleeping has been disrupted, but still haven't felt up to reading. :irked:

But, I did manage to pick up my Kindle during my lunch break today and started something easy, The Christmas Surprise by Jenny Colgan, just to get me back in the swing before I catch up with Nicholas Nickleby again. My cold hasn't gone yet, but my head is a bit clearer now, so hoping I can get back up to speed sooner rather than later. :D

Thank you all. :)  It's actually taken me another week to actually feel up to proper reading, and even posting here!  I know it's only a cold, but it really did get me down, and after working all day, I didn't have any inclination to do much.  I haven't quite got my voice back yet, and the cough is still hanging around, but nowhere near as bad as it was, and at least I can sleep at night again now (I actually spent a few nights sleeping in the arm chair as I couldn't lie down without coughing :irked:).

I did read a romcom last week, but it wasn't exactly challenging, but it did keep me ticking over for a couple of days, but I couldn't face picking up a book or my kindle for most of the time.  However, today was a trip to Cardiff, and the train journey was over an hour each way, and a stop for a cup of coffee during the morning has got me right back into Nicholas Nickleby, and feeling much more in a reading mood at last!! :doowapstart:

Thank you all. :)  It's actually taken me another week to actually feel up to proper reading, and even posting here!  I know it's only a cold, but it really did get me down, and after working all day, I didn't have any inclination to do much.  I haven't quite got my voice back yet, and the cough is still hanging around, but nowhere near as bad as it was, and at least I can sleep at night again now (I actually spent a few nights sleeping in the arm chair as I couldn't lie down without coughing :irked:).

Ach, I feel your pain!  I have had a persistent cough for over two weeks now and haven't been able to sleep because of it.  My boss told me not to go to work because he didn't want to catch it - ironic, because I think I caught it from others who had been in the office :rolleyes:  Went to the doc's yesterday and found out I now have a chest infection, so I guess I won't be at work again until 2015 (as I have next week and the week after booked as leave) :giggle2:

Glad to hear you're feeling better :smile:   Nice to know there's an end to it :D

Ach, I feel your pain!  I have had a persistent cough for over two weeks now and haven't been able to sleep because of it.  My boss told me not to go to work because he didn't want to catch it - ironic, because I think I caught it from others who had been in the office :rolleyes:  Went to the doc's yesterday and found out I now have a chest infection, so I guess I won't be at work again until 2015 (as I have next week and the week after booked as leave) :giggle2:

I hope you feel better soon, Steve!

My boss told me not to go to work because he didn't want to catch it - ironic, because I think I caught it from others who had been in the office :rolleyes:  

I'm so jealous of this type of boss. We have to be on our death beds before they feel we should take time off - and even then they don't pay us for it! 

I'm so jealous of this type of boss. We have to be on our death beds before they feel we should take time off - and even then they don't pay us for it! 

The downside is that I feel guilty about it, as I had loads of work to do before Christmas, so I've ended up doing as much of it as I can from here, at home.  It also means I'm missing the Christmas party tomorrow.  I wouldn't mind, but it's the first one we've had for about three years! :hissyfit::D

How can they not pay you for it?  Is that legal??

That sounds pretty unfair, Michelle! Where I used to work, we received quite a few sick days per year at full pay. Of course, now that I work for myself, if I ever get sick, I either have to 'suck it up' and keep working, or earn less money while I take time to recover. Sometimes I miss having a regular job. (Sorry to go off-topic, Claire.)

We don't get paid sick days until after three days either.

We're having a departmental Christmas lunch (about 40 people are going  :o  ) for the first time in about three years too, Steve, and also like you I'm missing it.  However I'm missing it to go to a wedding, so at least it's for a lovely reason.  :)

ETA: I thought this was Steve's thread.  :blush:   Sorry for hijacking your thread!   I hope you're fully on the mend now.  :hug:   Thanks for the Christmas card.

Edited by Janet

Thanks everyone for your kind words, and don't worry about hijacking the thread! :D  I've still got a bit of a cough but I realised this morning that I think it might be partly a mild bout of asthma which I suffer from very occasionally, so used my inhaler this morning and felt a bit better again.

Got a bit caught up in Nicholas Nickleby over the last few days, and have now just the last bumper instalment to go, and think I'm going to read that after I've finished the other book I'm reading at the moment, Meet Me Under The Mistletoe by Abby Clements.  It might look like a frothy romcom from the title and cover, but it's actually got a bit more depth to it, and I've already welled up a couple of times.  I'll probably finish it this afternoon, and then I can't wait to get back to NN! :smile2:

Thanks everyone for your kind words, and don't worry about hijacking the thread! :D  I've still got a bit of a cough but I realised this morning that I think it might be partly a mild bout of asthma which I suffer from very occasionally, so used my inhaler this morning and felt a bit better again.

Got a bit caught up in Nicholas Nickleby over the last few days, and have now just the last bumper instalment to go, and think I'm going to read that after I've finished the other book I'm reading at the moment, Meet Me Under The Mistletoe by Abby Clements.  It might look like a frothy romcom from the title and cover, but it's actually got a bit more depth to it, and I've already welled up a couple of times.  I'll probably finish it this afternoon, and then I can't wait to get back to NN! :smile2:

I have asthma too though like you I don't suffer from it all the time. I'm so glad you're enjoying Meet Me Under The Mistletoe :). I enjoyed reading The Christmas Bake Off, a short story from the same author, last week. I'm definitely putting Meet Me Under The Mistletoe on my wishlist :).