Chrissy's Reading 2012 Onwards

Chrissy

My Mojo was not doing so well either. It's better now - am reading Nesbo as medicine :) - I guess I should check the Torchwood books.

I read nothing but Nesbo for over a month while I was having trouble concentrating on my reading - they work a treat, don't they? :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

31) The Attenbury Emeralds by Jil Paton Walsh

Jill Paton Walsh was commisioned by the executors of Dorothy L Sayers estate to complete a Lord Peter Wimsey novel that she had been working on before her death The result was 'Thrones, Dominations', a book I thorougly enjoyed. She added another book, 'A Presumption Of Death', which I also enjoyed. When I saw that she had written a third I decided to get hold of it.

Dorothy L Sayer's characters are so well drawn and her plots so well written, it was quite an undertaking to write three further novels, but Jill Paton Walsh has doena terrific job of it. She captures the spirit of the characters very well indeed, and there are only a small number of places where I felt a slight jar. I would say that 'The Attenbury Emeralds' concludes the Lord Peter and Harriet Vane series wonderfully, satisfying all points for the fan of the two. The story looks back at Lord Peter's first 'case', and brings the reader forward to the austere years of the 1950's. A world wonderfuly evoked and a fiting tribute to Ms Sayers and her characters.

• 5 weeks later...

32) Goodbye, Dearest Holly by Kevin Wells

This book details the experiences of the Wells family following the disappearance of their daughter Holly and her friend Jessica, in Soham 10 years ago.

I tend to avoid this kind of book, sticking with either fiction or a different kind of non fiction, but I just 'happened' upon this one. It's a compelling read, despite knowing the tragic outcome from the start. I cannot begin to imagine the emotions that envelope a family when one of it's members is torn from it in such a way. Kevin Wells is on many occasions throughout the book merely detailing how things happened, but you also detect the agony beneath. I cannot say I enjoyed reading it, as it truly isn't a book that can be enjoyed, but I am glad I read it, if that makes any sense whatsoever.

33) Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

34) New Moon by Stephanie Meyer

35) Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer

36) Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer

I arrived late to the Twilight Saga party, but having caught the first film on Film 4 recently I thought I'd give the books a go. A trip through my local charity shops later and I had acquired all four books! I now see what the appeal is of the series, especially for girls of a certain age range. I liked that until the last book, Bella and Edward remained chaste, and I thought that most of the characters were well drawn. The books unfolded the story well, and until the mighty let down that is the second half of the last book I was pleasantly surprised with it's development.

Bella confounded me with her morose demeanour and dull personality. Although I appreciated that Ms Meyer wanted to have a character that didn't feel worthy of the interest shown in her, I felt that she should have made greater efforts to give glimpses of something special in Bella for us to say "Ahh, that's why her', rather than expect us to accept that she made Edward's blood sing. She wasn't a great friend to anyone, she was selfish and withdrawn, and just waited for things to come to her rather than getting out there. There was never a love triangle, more a case of two supernatural beings inexplicably being so drawn to her they would kill and / or die for her. Hhhhmmm.

Despite Bella, I did enjoy reading the series. I do have a number of quibbles, such as the easy disposal of Bella's Mum, the awful name given to the baby, and the odd situation that has been constructed regarding Charlie. I could forgive all those if it were not for the last book, where the well constructed mounting tensions in the first half ultimately lead nowhere in the last section when the mighty force that is the Volturi is thwarted in a scene that sits soggy and disappointingly on the readers shoulders. I get the feeling that the last film perhaps adresses this somewhat. but the potential in the books was never realised for me.

• 1 month later...

Thank you Brian. :smile:

My book shelves have been muttering at me, and my Kindle has been a'calling, which hasn't been happening for many a month. It's the beckoning arms of a much missed paper (or kindle'esque) friend. I look forward to losing myself in the magic that is reading.

My first read of 2013.

1) Hitler's Canary by Sandi Toksvig

This was a short but thorough read. It was inspired by the true stories told to Ms Toksvig by her father and tells the story of Bamse, his family and his friends during the German occupation of Denmark.

Over the course of 10 days, the majority of Denmark's Jews and a number of 'fugitives' were helped in escaping the clutches of the German forces who were due to send them off to the camps. The bravery of ordinary Danes, the Danish resistance, and it must be said a number of Germans who looked the other way or activiely removed themselves from carrying out their assigned duties, ensured that less than 2 per cent of the Danish Jews perished at the hands of the occupying force.

It is fast paced and spans a handful of years. Ms Toksvig brings depth and clarity to the story of Bamse and the point of view remains with Bamse throughout. It was a good first read of the year and a quick short read. It is always good to be reminded that a mass of people can do much good when they quietly commit themselves to doing the right thing.

2) The Angel's Kiss by Justin Richards

Melody Malone was a character created by (the character) River Song seen in the recent Doctor Who episode 'The Angels Take Manhattan'. I saw this story on amazon at a low low price and couldn't resist. :D A super quick read it was ideal for what I was up to today - driving around and then having to wait around. It captured the personality of River in her Melody Malone guise well and the story was fast paced and descriptive. Non taxing and most definitey mojo enhancing. ;)