Do You Draw?

Gingerbreadman

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for suggesting Van Gogh's paintings, I will try and look at some.

Not his paintings, his drawings. You can google it and some will come up. His early ones are quite poor but you can see him really striving and they have a lot of charm.

Not his paintings, his drawings. You can google it and some will come up. His early ones are quite poor but you can see him really striving and they have a lot of charm.

Ok thanks I will search out his drawings

Karen I love the cat looks very realistic and I am glad you are enjoying your art classes, I always think drawing painting like music and literature are essentials to life.

Have spent a few days in the studio this week as I have been on leave so I managed to get my latest picture finished.

Its called the gate in the woods, although I have done a bit more to it on the top since I took this picture.

Thegateinthewoods.png

• 2 weeks later...

I love these drawings as I havent read this thread in a while, I really need to get back into art and stuff, but I'm just so busy that I want to teach myself how to draw better so badly :( I also am eager to start selling my handmade bracelets on etsy and this year I aim to at least knit and finish one thing!

Also to lose weight, save money, pass my driving test, sort out my OU application stuff....

The list goes on and I never get all the stuff I want to get done, done. :(

Sorry going off topic heres a picture I drew when I first started teaching myself to draw:

wje5o8.jpg

This is the last thing I drew, a Lion King styled lion I recently designed:

ahadi_redesign_by_nollaig-d4m0hbx.jpg

This is Ahadi, father of Mufasa and Scar in Disney's The Lion King. He's a semi-canon character never mentioned in the main films - he makes a few appearances in some Lion King storybooks Disney released, and there are no officially accurate depictions of him, so beyond 'long dark mane, golden fur, green eyes', designing him is a free for all, which really is so much fun.

This is the last thing I drew, a Lion King styled lion I recently designed:

ahadi_redesign_by_nollaig-d4m0hbx.jpg

This is Ahadi, father of Mufasa and Scar in Disney's The Lion King. He's a semi-canon character never mentioned in the main films - he makes a few appearances in some Lion King storybooks Disney released, and there are no officially accurate depictions of him, so beyond 'long dark mane, golden fur, green eyes', designing him is a free for all, which really is so much fun.

You drew this? It's amazing!

How long did it take you to complete?

That's a good question! I do it in bits and pieces, and I'm also chatting/browsing while drawing, so I don't have an exact figure but probably about 7 hours? I'm a very very slow artist and my methods are archaic. Most digital artists could do it in 1-3 hours.

Oh yeah the whole thing is digital. It looks a lot more impressive than it is, probably because most people don't know anything about how digital art is done, and a lot of things look impressive until you see the simplistic methods behind them! :D But thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

Pickle, I just love your drawings! You would make such a wonderful illustrator of stories. Do you copy these or do they come out of your imagination?

Ditto.

And yes Kenny you will have to put some on.

Thanks for all you nice comments. Poppy they are mostly out of my imagination but I sometimes draw inspiration from other works I like and adapt them for my own.

This is the one I am working on at the moment its not quite finished and has taken me ages I keep getting interupted by cups of tea :smile:

round.jpg

Thanks for all you nice comments. Poppy they are mostly out of my imagination but I sometimes draw inspiration from other works I like and adapt them for my own.

This is the one I am working on at the moment its not quite finished and has taken me ages I keep getting interupted by cups of tea :smile:

round.jpg

I love this!

• 2 weeks later...

Pickle HOW do you draw like that? Where do you get your ideas, and how do you work out the warped perspectives? They always look amazing, and there's so much going on in every picture.

Here's a pretty big piece I just finished the other day - first full piece with a background and all that I've done in recent times. The characters are, as per usual with me, semi-canon Lion King characters from LK storybooks. The designs are my own, I tend to take a lot of liberties with the designs because the pictures in the books aren't great/consistent.

This is Mohatu, and baby Uru. For anyone who cares, which is probably nobody lol, the cub in this grows up to be the mate of the black-maned lion I posted about halfway up this page, Ahadi, and Ahadi and Uru are the parents of Mufasa and Scar :)

mohatu__s_joy_by_nollaig-d4orp84.jpg

Pickle HOW do you draw like that? Where do you get your ideas, and how do you work out the warped perspectives? They always look amazing, and there's so much going on in every picture.

Here's a pretty big piece I just finished the other day - first full piece with a background and all that I've done in recent times. The characters are, as per usual with me, semi-canon Lion King characters from LK storybooks. The designs are my own, I tend to take a lot of liberties with the designs because the pictures in the books aren't great/consistent.

This is Mohatu, and baby Uru. For anyone who cares, which is probably nobody lol, the cub in this grows up to be the mate of the black-maned lion I posted about halfway up this page, Ahadi, and Ahadi and Uru are the parents of Mufasa and Scar :)

This is beautiful. I really love the rich colours of the sky.

I love it Noll, looks amazing I am terrible at doing things to look like the things they are supposed to, if that makes any sense, and if it does it answers your question. the reason I draw at such skew wiff angles is because it makes sense to me, I love distorting the perspective and playing around trying to make things appear subtly wrong.

The idea for this one and a couple of my others have come from the Ilustrations of fairytale books, the round one from Sleeping Beauty. In the original its beautifully coloured and there is a figure at the top of the stairs, because I was doing it in black and white I didn't have the luxury of adding dimensions thorugh colour so instead of that I created pictures within the panels sometimes they are motifs and other times they are details of fairytales which I have taken from other books and pictures.

The one I started last weekend is more straightforward and is a copy again no colour so I have to Individualise them to make them mine and add in detail which doesn't necessarily appear in the original. However a lot of the time I work straight from my own imagination and create whole scences not using any references at all.

Edited by pickle