Do You Draw?

Gingerbreadman

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks! Nollaig, the middle photo top sketch is colour pencils , the lower one of the trees is in kid's felt pens. We were told to sketch every day in all kinds of media

Pickle, I have tons of old life drawings I will dig some out and photograph them if anybody wants to see more?

This one is studies of my own hand done in charcoal:

OldArtwork0018.jpg

Here are two greeting card designs I did in a series that did not sell; there were originally two designs for boys and two girls:

OldArtwork0007.jpg

OldArtwork0006.jpg

sorry not good photos because they have a sheet of clear plastic over which reflected the light; looking at them now 23 years on I can see why they did not sell they are hideous.

Edited by vodkafan

Wow the hand sketches are amazing! You're extremely talented!

The cards look very professional. I don't think they're ugly at al!

I drew this recently, with a quote from the book, after re-reading it for the first time since I was a child. It's one of my favourite books!

the_velveteen_rabbit_by_nollaig-d4aqrsz.jpg

You seem to be able to do lots of different styles Nollaig. I like that loose mix media thing but I could never do it.

Teachers were always trying to get me to loosen up.

They are not actual cards they are designs done on not pressed art board one and a half times up.. That's that's how it was done back then anyway. As they were spec. designs rather than an actual commision (I always hated working to deadlines) they have no lettering or numbers. If the publisher likes them then they pay for the artwork and do what they want with it, it could end up as gift wrap paper or anything. .

Edited by vodkafan

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I have just discovered this thread. What amazingly talented artists some of you are. Pickle, yours are just gorgeous. Nollaig, I want that rabbit!! And VF you have a real talent for drawing the human form. More everyone!

I can draw too, the only problem is that most 3 year olds can do a way better job :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I have always loved castles too and am obsessed with drawing them. There is a brilliant one near where I live Wardour Castle I love it.

I did a bit more last weekend so almost done now

373833_10150359657385869_657640868_8495695_2064497454_n.jpg

Like it. :cool: Are these just completely out of your head Pickle? And are you self taught too?

Wow, I have just discovered this thread. What amazingly talented artists some of you are. Pickle, yours are just gorgeous. Nollaig, I want that rabbit!! And VF you have a real talent for drawing the human form. More everyone!

I can draw too, the only problem is that most 3 year olds can do a way better job :rolleyes:

Poppy ....pictures please!! We need to see!

Some are out of my head and some I take the idea and adapt for my own, this is from one of my favourite illustrators Errol le Cain, I was trying to see if I could do it in black and white as his is in colour but I wanted to be able to get the detail.

I am pretty much self taught in this form of drawing, I did art as far as A level ( a long time ago) but was mostly a painter never really got on with illustration as I thought it was too restricting not to be able to use colour. I just find it therapeutic to relax and draw on my weekends.

Edited by pickle

A few more of my old pictures. The colour one is a London dockside crane. Standing underneath it was so awe inspiring and it was a nice day so I took my time and did it in colour pencils. The pencil ones are all of Rugby pubs, I used to go in and sketch people and the interiors.

scan0008.jpg

scan0006.jpg

scan0005.jpg

Please let me know if you want me to dig out more. I am thinking about maybe starting again doing art in some way.

Edited by vodkafan

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Karen it looks good but is a bit hard to see what is the media? Is it pencil? Tell more about your art classes please..

OMG voddy, that's talent! More!

I have more stuffed in a suitcase behind my sofa. Also more in my head and fingers as yet unreleased. The time is coming......

Hi Karen it looks good but is a bit hard to see what is the media? Is it pencil? Tell more about your art classes please..

This was done in Charcoal (Conte) pencil. I have been going to Art classes for the last 4-5 years. I failed Art at school and thought I couldn't do any kind of Art, but then I saw a tv series with Rolf Harris called 'Star Portraits' which made me go out and buy a sketchbook.

Then I got really into drawing/painting and my friend told me about art classes she goes to and I decided to join. I was terrible when I first started (it was particularly intimidating as my teacher and most of the rest of the pupils are Spanish) and I still find drawing difficult, but I'm slowly improving.

Drawing is so rewarding Karen when you can see improvement. I love to draw the same thing over and over again or to sometimes work into a drawing to the point where it goes over and is ruined. Nothing is lost though because you learn in the process. Try to look at Van Gogh's drawings. He could not actually draw when he started out. I used to draw so much when I was growing up I could even feel the switch flip over in my brain when you go into that "timeless time" and you are so lost in what you are doing. (this is actually your focus switching from the Left cognitive(counting, language )hemisphere of your brain to the Right "emotional" hemisphere which thinks in pictures and feelings) . I know I gradually lost that as I grew older but I would like to get that back. I never felt that same about painting though , I am a poor painter.

Edited by vodkafan

Drawing is so rewarding Karen when you can see improvement. I love to draw the same thing over and over again or to sometimes work into a drawing to the point where it goes over and is ruined. Nothing is lost though because you learn in the process. Try to look at Van Gogh's drawings. He could not actually draw when he started out. I used to draw so much when I was growing up I could even feel the switch flip over in my brain when you go into that "timeless time" and you are so lost in what you are doing. (this is actually your focus switching from the Left cognitive(counting, language )hemisphere of your brain to the Right "emotional" hemisphere which thinks in pictures and feelings) . I know I gradually lost that as I grew older but I would like to get that back. I never felt that same about painting though , I am a poor painter.

I find drawing very difficult but you're right, it is rewarding. The problem I have found is that I think school's don't help their pupil's to find an individual style of their own. They only want to mould pupils exactly the same and those who take a long time to progress in Art (like myself), get left behind.

That's why I love my Art class. People of all levels and styles are welcome and everyone encourages each other. It's the freedom of the class, which I think has helped me to progress in drawing and painting.

Thanks for suggesting Van Gogh's paintings, I will try and look at some.