Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

No reading today, but did receive 3 books in the post!

The Declaration by Gemma Malley from Chaliepud as a book swap.

Dawn of Demontide Witchfinder Bk 1 by William Hussey

&

The Body Finder by Kimberley Derting .... both from Michelle.

thank you both very much!!! :friends0:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruis Zafron, as it has gotten some good reviews.

Think I'm going to have to push this up my TBR pile after hearing so many others have enjoyed it - hopefully my Mum will have finished it by now - cheeky woman borrowing my unread books! :wink:

I finished DeNiro's Game last night. It's a bleak story of the relationship between two young men in Beirut. There's not a lot positive about it, but then again there's not a lot positive about the conflict in Lebanon. For all that, it's a powerful and engrossing read.

I finished DeNiro's Game last night. It's a bleak story of the relationship between two young men in Beirut. There's not a lot positive about it, but then again there's not a lot positive about the conflict in Lebanon. For all that, it's a powerful and engrossing read.

My mom keeps hoping things will calm down enough over there to go see her family one day, Roland, but I'm afraid that won't be happening very soon :(. I've added this one to my wish list though.

Not in my lifetime, I don't think, Marcia, and I'm planning on hanging around for a good while yet. It's a beautiful country with wonderful people, they say, but sadly it's become the battlefield for the hate and prejudices of other people. Tragic.

So, so sad, Roland. My grandfather left there and came here way back in the 20's, and was always sad to see images of what his homeland turned into over the years. It's awful to think that tragedy will be that region's destiny for a long, long time.

Just read a few chapters this morning, but did receive 2 books in the post as a book swap from the lovely pickle, thanks honey! :hug:

C C Humphreys - Vlad: The Last Confession

&

L A Banks - The Minion

Finally finished American Gods two days ago. I didn't completely understand the book, mostly because I don't know any south african or caribbean gods.

Also reread Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows yesterday while waiting for my sister to finish 150 pages of the Order of the Phoenix. :\

C C Humphreys - Vlad: The Last Confession

:exc:

You are obliged to let me know what you think once you've read that, I freaking ADORED that book and the author is the most lovely chap I ever had the pleasure of speaking to for an interview.

In other news, I've picked up yet another book without finishing the others, so I'm up to four. After a recent Richard Dawkins fest my brother's gone on I've been (willingly) subjected to many of his prestentations and debates against theists, and I have to say I absolutely adore the man. He's intelligent, articulate, informed and WITTY. I never knew he was funny!! So now I'm reading the God Delusion, which I had until now always dismissed as biased and overhyped.

No book activity today. Too busy moving. :(

You still moving? Good luck with that Pixie.

:exc:

You are obliged to let me know what you think once you've read that, I freaking ADORED that book and the author is the most lovely chap I ever had the pleasure of speaking to for an interview.

In other news, I've picked up yet another book without finishing the others, so I'm up to four. After a recent Richard Dawkins fest my brother's gone on I've been (willingly) subjected to many of his prestentations and debates against theists, and I have to say I absolutely adore the man. He's intelligent, articulate, informed and WITTY. I never knew he was funny!! So now I'm reading the God Delusion, which I had until now always dismissed as biased and overhyped.

I didn't like the God Delusion. But I agree with your assessment of his other stuff, I recently read an evolution book of his and he was very good.

OK my book activity last night was extreme. I am a reading steamroller with something to prove right now. Finished one book and am now 27% into The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest but we haven't even had a sniff of a hornet so far :irked:

I didn't like the God Delusion. But I agree with your assessment of his other stuff, I recently read an evolution book of his and he was very good.

Was it "The Blind Watchmaker"? I've heard that's very good and much better than The God Delusion. It's next on my list.

Finished the first Harry Potter book! That's the hardest one out of the way - the book of the movie I've seen most. I'm sure I'll enjoy them more as they go on.

I'm sure you will too. :) They definitely get better as you go along. I'm so glad you're giving them another chance!

I put up my new bookcase on the weekend and I've start shuffling all my books along to make way for the new books I'm expecting over the next couple of weeks. My library now has bookcases going around all three walls and will look quite nice once I've tidied it up some. :smile2:

I started and finished a Trixie Belden book on the weekend and read a little more of The Noonday Demon: An Anatomy of Depression. I got my Mum to pick up another copy of this book from a bookshop she went to on the weekend so I can have a copy to underline and make notes in (something I usually detest - but I need to do it with this book).

I put up my new bookcase on the weekend and I've start shuffling all my books along to make way for the new books I'm expecting over the next couple of weeks. My library now has bookcases going around all three walls and will look quite nice once I've tidied it up some. :smile2:

Will you post photos in the "show your bookshelf"-thread?