Cricket

Kylie

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this has to be the best Ashes series ever for me - mainly because I was out of the country for the Lords test and had no idea we'd been thrashed :lol:  All I've seen is us doing the same to the Aussies  :D

Really happy for Alastair Cook, kind of sad for Michael Clarke.  Could've done without both of them getting emotional in their post-match interviews, nearly had me going, too  :blush2:   :lol:

Twas a good win, although part of me is still wondering whether we won it or Australia lost it, if you know what I mean.

There's no doubt there have been some exceptional solo performances this series, but I still don't think England are there as a team just yet (especially some of the top order batting).

South Africa, this winter, will be telling - one way or the other.

Typically English reaction - never happy! :lol:

I think we've got the beginnings of something very good with this core of young, exciting players.  Considering where we were just a few months ago I think it's been a pretty remarkable turn around.  The Aussies are a very good team and we've done it with some style.  Kevin who? :shrug:   :smile:

ETA: I do think limited over/T20 cricket is having an adverse effect on test matches, though.  The art of seeing off the new ball and settling in for the day seems to have been lost somewhere along the way.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Really happy for Alastair Cook, kind of sad for Michael Clarke.  Could've done without both of them getting emotional in their post-match interviews, nearly had me going, too  :blush2:   :lol:

I'm terrible … someone's voice only has to crack and I'm gone. I got something in my eye while Michael Clarke was interviewed, and just composed myself when Cook went and got emotional too!

ETA: I do think limited over/T20 cricket is having an adverse effect on test matches, though.  The art of seeing off the new ball and settling in for the day seems to have been lost somewhere along the way.

That's a good point - during some of the coverage over the weekend, they found a piece of footage talking to Darren Lehmann from a couple of years ago, saying that batsman could no longer last a day at the crease, they just don't know how to do it any more.

Typically English reaction - never happy! :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the result, but I'm just not convinced this is the great resurgence of English cricket some of the media would have us believe. Neither Lyth or Bell have really shone this series, but we've had a great middle-order who have negated their poor form. Barring a sudden change in form I think both are on borrowed time, which is sad given Bell's performances down the years, but the team just can't keep carrying players that aren't performing.

Kevin who? :shrug:   :smile:

Exactly what I said on Twitter when we won!

Agreed, Lyth is on borrowed time.  He has had a couple of decent knocks but he doesn't seem to have settled well, and I get the feeling it's affecting Cook a bit, not having someone solid as an opening partner - which he hasn't had for quite a long time now.  I think we need to keep Bell there for a while yet, though, just for his experience if nothing else.  I'm sure his form will return.

It'll be interesting to see the England team for the final test.  Lots of discussion about playing Rashid in preparation for the UAE tests against Pakistan, but seems like too little preparation to me.  Since we've already won the series, would quite like to see Clarke do well for his last game. :D

It'll be interesting to see the England team for the final test.  Lots of discussion about playing Rashid in preparation for the UAE tests against Pakistan, but seems like too little preparation to me.  Since we've already won the series, would quite like to see Clarke do well for his last game. :D

I hope Rashid plays, if only to save us from another Boycott lecture on Ali.

It's a disappointing way for the series to end, but it was a brave move by Cook to put the Aussies in on Thursday. 

Some might say it was overconfidence, but if they had nicked a few quick wickets it could easily have been England that ended up on top. 

I'd still say the squad has a lot of work to do though . . .

True its easy to judge at the end of the match.

We have a T20 to look forward to and then the one dayers.

Still a lot of cricket to come this year when they play Pakistan in September

• 2 weeks later...

I've been particularly disappointed with the first two - and even more so because I'm going to the game at Headingley on Friday and at this rate it'll be all over by then...

I hope it is a good match for you on Friday Ben, just remembered there is a match on today, we are batting first so lets hope and fingers crossed.

Personally I prefer the T20's Chesilbeach, prefer how fast and furious they can be.

I hope it is a good match for you on Friday Ben, just remembered there is a match on today, we are batting first so lets hope and fingers crossed.

Thanks, shirley. I'm glad we won yesterday (hurrah!) if only just because it means the series isn't over quite yet. I'm sure I'll have fun, it's always good to get up to Headingley - it's a cracking cricketing stadium.