Cricket

Kylie

It's supposed to be around 41 degrees at the cricket today. Those poor chaps! Given that cricket is played in some of the hottest countries around - India, Australia etc, you'd think they'd play it during the cooler months!

I feel sorry for the spectators too. Whenever I've gone to see a game, I always try to get a seat in the shade, so the heat doesn't matter too much. I've only had to sit in the sun once, and that was for the Ashes a few years ago, when it was really difficult to get tickets. I remember the temp was only in the late 20s on that day, but my Mum and I were so hot sitting in the sun all day that we ended up leaving before the end of the day because we just couldn't stand the heat anymore. I don't know people will cope today! And I bet there will still be people wearing heavy banana costumes or dressed in hot onesies! :D

They've just done the classic trick on the UK broadcast, and fried an egg on the manhole cover outside the ground - it must be sweltering!

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the Aussies - out-played us on every level.  Would've been nice if we'd put up a bit of a fight but maybe the humiliation will do some of those players a bit of good (I'm not looking at you, Kevin Pietersen, oh no :giggle2: ).

As an aside, some of those bounces off the cracks in the pitch were hilarious :lol:

Yay us! (Trying so hard not to go overboard with my excitement - although you may have heard my screams of happiness from there.) :D

I nearly started getting worried. That English chap was going very well (Stokes? Was only half paying attention because I was working).

Oh, I can't remember if I've mentioned this already, but I've bought my BF and his son (and me, of course) tickets to see the T20 match in Sydney in early February. BF is not interested in any sports whatsoever. Like too many people, he doesn't 'get' cricket, which is why I'm taking him to the faster and shorter version of the game. As far as I know, BF's son doesn't know anything about cricket, but he plays soccer (which I loathe), so I'm going to try to convert them both. What do you think my chances are? :D

Ooh, I don't know about that! I think Australia was definitely the better side. England was outplayed in every aspect of the game. If they were the better side, they would have won, wouldn't they? :P

They were the better side in practice, undoubtedly!

In 30 individual performances across the three tests I think England have managed less than half a dozen decent knocks.

If Cook, Trott, Root, Pietersen and Bell had shown up, played consistently and put together some meaningful innings I don't believe the current score line would be 3-0.  Winning the toss three times undoubtedly helped Australia, but that's no excuse for the complete failure of our top order batsmen to perform (though with the exception of Bell, they weren't that consistent in the summer, either).

And our bowlers (with the exception of Broad on the first day of the first test) who saved us in the summer, have been pretty poor this time as well.

Australia are still building their side, with a couple of exceptions the England players are well established and they should have done a lot better than they have.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

NZ is playing Sri Lanka, I think? I guess they'll be knocked out then if they don't win.

Wouldn't it be cool if the Netherlands made it to the final? I love 'underdog' stories. :)

i dont like (or understand) cricket but i was listening to talksport last night and england were getting a lot of criticism for losing to holland. Dont understand a national team not playing to there full potential. Reminds me of the England football team

• 2 months later...