Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

Today I received a long-awaited book in the mail:

Walter Moers: The Alchemaster's Apprentice :)

I finished reading Raymond Chandler's The Long Goodbye and am now starting Astrid Lindgren's Pippi Longstocking.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankie and I watched a book show on TV last night and they mentioned that they're going to review Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged in next month's show. I've had this book on my TBR pile for years and it's the single most intimidating book that I own. I've finally decided that this is my best chance of ever reading it, so here I go!

... am now starting Astrid Lindgren's Pippi Longstocking.

The Gilmores would be proud! :D

I recieved Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens in the mail today (Thank you!!!) via the relaunch contest and can't wait to read it! :D

After work I picked up a few books for my holiday this weekend:

Doctor Who: Autonomy by Daniel Blythe

Doctor Who: The Glamour Chase by Gary Russell

The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir

The Heretic Queen: Heiress of Misfortune, Pharoh's Beloved by Michelle Moran

The History of Witchcraft and Demonology by Montague Summers

Lets see if I can get through them all in 3 days! (Goal is to read 3 of them, guess we'll see giggle.gif )

Edited by CaliLily

I'm still reading The English Patient, but have also picked up Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. I'm just about half way through, and enjoying it. This of course means that I'll finally have to get to The Time Travelers Wife.

I haven't had a lot of time to read the last few days, company coming from out of town this weekend. But I hope to get in a bit more this week.

I finally finished Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater last night and ended up really enjoying it, so much so I've ordered Linger already, along with The Book Of Lost Things by John Connolly :blush:

After I'd finished Shiver I went straight on to Lost Souls by Poppy Z Brite, but just read the prologue before I fell asleep. :Zzzz:

I showed Frankie a new bookshop this afternoon and picked up a couple of bits and bobs for myself:

The Black Day Book by Anonymous

This is the antithesis of another book I bought recently: The Blue Day Book. Both books are full of gorgeous photos of animals. The Blue Day Book is to cheer you up when you're feeling down, and the Black Day Book is to basically make you feel more depressed than you already are. laugh.gif I read it on the train coming home and it was pretty funny.

The Worst-Case Scenario Almanac: History by Joshua Piven et al

This looks like a fun little book full of interesting facts and anecdotes.

Polymer Clay Mosaics by Sue Heaser

This one will hopefully teach me how to make clay tiles for mosaicing.

I'm about 50 pages into Atlas Shrugged and it's off to a pretty good start.

Just joined the site; My current reads are

Vanity Fair; Thackeray

Les Miserables; Victor Hugo

Cash; Johnny Cash

The Plot Against America; Philip Roth

The Resurrectionist; James Bradley (just started)

This Boy's Life; Tobias Woolf

Lifes Little Ironies; Thomas Hardy

I always have several books on the go at once; sometimes one takes over, but I usually read some of each one every day.

I am reading Possession by A.S. Byatt. It had a slow start, but now I am finding it a very interesting read.

Has anyone else read this? Is it as good as I think it's going to be? :D

I am reading Possession by A.S. Byatt. It had a slow start, but now I am finding it a very interesting read.

Has anyone else read this? Is it as good as I think it's going to be? :D

Not read it but it's on my TBR pile I've never read anything by Byatt before so I'd be interested to hear what you think about it.

I'm still enjoying Vanity Fair although I'm only managing to read a little bit each day as I've been watching telly in the evening & picking up my book during the adverts not really quality reading time I know :blush:

Just joined the site; My current reads are

Vanity Fair; Thackeray

Les Miserables; Victor Hugo

Cash; Johnny Cash

The Plot Against America; Philip Roth

The Resurrectionist; James Bradley (just started)

This Boy's Life; Tobias Woolf

Lifes Little Ironies; Thomas Hardy

I always have several books on the go at once; sometimes one takes over, but I usually read some of each one every day.

:welcome:

Vanity Fair is our reading circle book this month so do join in with the discussion when you're done. (I'm waiting for my own copy to arrive)

Not read it but it's on my TBR pile I've never read anything by Byatt before so I'd be interested to hear what you think about it.

I will certainly let you know what I think when I am done, kidsmum. :)

Finished Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger, not enthralled with it. Back to The English Patient for me. Maybe dip into Blood Meridian again too.

Visited the second hand book store today, the results are:

Conspirators by Michael Andre Bernstein

Close to Home by Peter Robinson

A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny

Also, I wonder if anyone here has heard of a book out called Onward Christian Nurses the story of Edith Cavell by Diana Souhami. I saw a review of it, now I can't remember where, but I can't find it listed anywhere. Maybe it hasn't come out yet, but it looks to be fascinating. She was executed by the Nazis in 1915 in Belgium for helping hundreds of wounded British soldiers escape. She was a matron.

Wait, I found the link in my deleted emails.... http://www.literaryreview.co.uk/ridley_10_10.html I just can't seem to find any publication date.

Edited by pontalba