Need to pick one!

Christie

Hey everyone I need a little help deciding what book to pick for my 3000 word essay in my lit class. I recognise some of the titles and I have to purchase ONE of them pretty soon. I haven't got enough time to read them all as I've got so much work to do at the moment so it would be great if you could reccomend some to me!

Here is the list:

George Orwell: 1984

William Golding: Lord of the Flies

JD Salinger: Catcher in the Rye

Mary Shelley: Frankenstein

Joseph Heller: Catch 22

F Scott Fitzgerald: The Great Gatesby

George Orwell: Animal Farm

Anthony Burgess: A Clockwork Orange

I myself read horror, mystery, crime, fantasy so if any specific book you think might be the best to read please!! :)P :)

I really liked 1984 but it took lots of concentration so I'd say go for Animal Farm if you're short on time, it's quick and easy.

Edit: oh and I enjoyed it too!

Edited by Lucybird

Well, out of those, my favourites are:

George Orwell: 1984

F Scott Fitzgerald: The Great Gatesby

George Orwell: Animal Farm

I'd really like to read Anthony Burgess: A Clockwork Orange.

1984 and Animal Farm are brilliant books for an essay. There are loads of stuff to write about each. Actually, the same could go for most of those books. I've enjoyed all of them except Lord of the Flies.

Lord of the Flies was very grim but probably easy to write an essay on.

Animal Farm would also be straight forward especially if you like discussing communism.

Catch 22 is a fabulous book but I think would be a tough essay subject. I loved it but I couldn't tell you what the point of it was. If there was a point at all.

I haven't read the others.

Good luck.

I would go for Mary Shelley: Frankenstein. It sounds like the kind of book you would actually enjoy while working! (nothing worse than having to write about a book you have no interest in) :D

Frankenstein hands down - beautiful, relevant and inspiring, it's a book that has made me sob, shout and physically feel anguish each of the several times I've read it. Even if by some bizarre, inexplicable twist of fate you should hate it, rest assured that one way or another you simply cannot be indifferent to it, so the coursework just writes itself when Frankenstein's your subject.

I've only read Nineteen Eighty-Four and Catch 22 from your list, and of the two I would suggest you go for the former because it is waaaaay shorter and it will probably be a lot easier to write about! (Catch 22 is a good read though, when you have the time!).

Aaahhh, they'd all be great!

If I had to pick one (not my favourite!), I'd go for Lord of the Flies. It's very easy to pick up what the author is trying to do with it, and that's a great starting point for analysis. Also there is a whole bunch of symbolism which you could add in, and it's still very relevant today - maybe even more so. Like I said, they'd all be great, but I think LOTF would be the easiest to tackle, and it's not a long book either!

I couldn't get on with Frankenstein at all. I loved Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies. Neither book is particularly cheery though. Either would be great as an essay choice but animal farm is a very quick and easy read. I read it in a day and I'm a slow reader lol

I agree about Catch 22 - great book, difficult essay topic, (although I guess in an essay you don't need to pin down exactly what it all means, just speculate and discuss) but it's pretty long.

Good luck.

Edited by ~Andrea~

Lord of the Flies

Catch 22

Animal Farm.

They get my vote, I recently bought Catch 22 to re read as I was only in my teens when I first read it. Catcher in the Rye is a marmite book I enjoyed it but I know quite a few people who couldn't get into it .