Sherlock

Raven

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the New Year special tonight and was so disappointed I could cry! I wasn't prepared for it to be a "mind palace" thing and really wanted it to be a one-off Victoriana thing that was set apart from the main series. I don't know if I just built it up too much in my mind, but I was SO much looking forward to it, and it just didn't come anywhere near living up to my expectations. As it is, having it as part of the main story was pointless (in my opinion) too, because it didn't actually progress the story any. :(

It started off so well - there was a great deal of knowing humour in the first half hour or so, but then it fell off rather sharply for me. I'm still smarting from the disappointment this morning! Dale was actually so bored with it that he actually fell asleep during part of it.

I thought it was very clever, I shall probably watch it again on catch-up, so I can try to get all the in-jokes.

I'm afraid I agree with Kell; I did watch it, and whilst it had it's moments it just confirmed that I think it's trying to be too clever, bordering on self-indulgence on the writers' part, yes I did get the story within a story thing, and also that it was all a dream (such a cop-out) and it was nice to see a certain person back again (although that part felt a bit of an add-on and in a way distracted from the main story).  I think it was more a case of the writers playing with the viewer, I have no problem with that but I don't think they know quite when to stop, with the overall result that I felt it was a bit of a mess, and it was all a bit of a non-story in the end.  It did look good and the actors are great (I still think Martin Freeman is the best thing in it) but I felt it was really a case of style over substance.

• 3 months later...

Series 4 started filming today.  There is a BBC press release on the BBC Media Centre website about it, but it does contain a little bit of a storyline coming up, so I won't link to it in case you don't want any spoilers, but I'm sure if you search for it, you'll find it if you want to see more. :D

• 9 months later...

Anyone watching the new series of Sherlock?  

For me -- just one episode in, admittedly -- it's been another disappointment.  There hasn't been a good episode since Series 2, in my opinion, and I'm so sad about that.  The introduction of Mary in Series 3 brought everything to a crashing halt.  The characters seemed so broken, with everyone behaving terribly out of character.  And no, that can't be blamed on "The Great Hiatus" of Sherlock's "death".  It's down to sloppy, up-their-own-arse writing.

Toby Jones enters the fray for Sunday's episode.  Perhaps he'll rescue things.  Plus, of course, you-know-who is out of the loop now.  Thank bejeebles for THAT!

Edited by Onion Budgie

I'm fully prepared to be swayed back again, if tonight's episode is up to snuff!  :D  I did adore the first two series.  I simply didn't take to Mary's character, the way she was played, and how the episodes suddenly revolved so exclusively around her.

I've heard rumours that this will be the final series.  Perhaps it'll go out on a high. 

We just caught up with the New Year Sherlock and thought it was good....looking forward to the next episode tonight.

Edited by Inver