Sherlock

Raven

The Americans have remade this as Elementary, starring Johnny Lee Miller as Sherlock (which is, in my opinion, terrible casting to start with), but then they've gone and filled the role of Watson with, wait for it... Lucy Liu! That's right, Watson is a WOMAN!!! In what universe would Sherlock Holmes work with a woman???

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't know about that already? I haven't seen it, but only because I know I would never like it as much as the BBC version.

oh, I knew about it alright. I've studiously avoided watching it because I cannot reconcile it in my head. It's just so utterly wrong on every level. And it's not a sexist thing, it's a character thing. It's a HUGE part of Sherlock's character that he shows disdain for women on the whole and he would never work with one unless begrudgingly, so to have him voluntarily team up with a woman just screws up the whole thing for me. I'll just stick to the very excellent British version which has remained utterly faithful to the spirit of Holmes.

We don't have tv piped into the house, we only watch dvd's and stream on it, so, that said, (run on sentence... hee hee) we did see a bit of the American Sherlock when were out of town in our hotel room.  I have to say, it isn't half bad.  I know....the idea of an Asian woman playing a British male doctor is, well, lets say interesting.  heh

However, on some level it works.  All of this from watching half an episode. lol  Well I liked both of the actors, that helped.

Kell said: .... utterly faithful to the spirit of Holmes.

Well, I don't entirely agree.  But I do love the series, computers and all. :)

Incidentally my husband says....."isn't art and literature about stretching oneself?"

I have to agree with him, he who reads all sorts of genres, and doesn't limit himself.

I know I've stretched myself art and literature wise since knowing him.

I suppose to some extent I may be comparing Basil Rathbone with Benedict Cumberbatch....for me Rathbone was the original Holmes.  The later ones like Cumberbatch and Jeremy Brett were far more.......emotional that either Rathbone or Doyle's Holmes.  I believe they, the later ones, were possibly more true to life, and more rounded individuals.  But that wasn't the original.  Only my opinion. :)

I've seen two or three episodes of Elementary. It was good, but I haven't felt the need to keep watching it.

Kell, the show's creators have introduced Liu as a sponsor for Sherlock, who has come out of rehab, so he isn't voluntarily working with her, but he tolerates her presence. She regularly drug tests him. :) (By the way, I completely agree that it's blasphemy to introduce a female Watson; I just wanted to let you know how they've gone about doing it.)

• 2 weeks later...

Alongside Doctor Who, Sherlock is my favourite thing on TV.  It's just a shame that it has year and a half long hiatuses :(

I've loved Sherlock Holmes since I saw Disney's Basil the Great Mouse Detective when I was younger and since then I've pretty much watched and read whatever I can get my hands on.

Benedict Cumberbatch is by far the best on screen Sherlock Holmes I've ever seen.  And that includes my first love of Basil the Great Mouse Detective lol.

I just want to know how he bloody did it!

But series three starts filming this month, and we'll hopefully get to see it by the time the year's out! 

• 2 weeks later...

According to an interview with Mr. C in the Radio Times, Sherlock will be returning for a forth series after the third one that is due to air later this year (both he and Martin Freeman are signed up to it).

Let the Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! commence . . .

• 9 months later...

I love this show! I started watching it this summer because its on Netflix and it is the best sherlock holmes show/movie that I've seen. At the moment, I'm working my way through the entire collection of sherlock holmes. I can't wait for the next series to come out. Although, I'll have to wait until it appears on netflix to watch it. 

I've rewatched all of the episodes in the past couple of days and am partway through The Reichenbach Fall, and then I'll watch the mini-episode for the first time. I can't wait for the new series to start! It has been a looooong time coming.  :exc:

Thought it was excellent.

I love how the inevitable anti-climax that would have attached itself to any sort of reveal (there was always going to be someone that would be unhappy), was cleverly avoided. By presenting the alternatives in a jokey, roundabout fashion the real solution pleased - despite it meaning that 95% of the internet was right, I think it was better than having some overly obscure, unbelievable solution.

Thought the 'bomb in the underground' plot seemed a bit rushed and tacked on, but that was always going to seem the case when the main focus was on Sherlock's return and how all the different characters reacted (thought the scenes between John and Sherlock were done wonderfully - the gradual return to forgiveness dynamic was nicely done).

There were some wonderful touches - like the Molly/Sherlock scene where he showed genuine love and emotion for her. Also, I really enjoyed the 'games' scene with Mycroft and Sherlock. Their relationship is brilliant - a kind of mutual respect and care for each other, but twisted sibling rivalry too.

On a final note, I think Mary is very suspect as a character (the love for Sherlock seems just a tiny bit over the top to me) and might be part of the bigger picture. And of course, Molly's new boyfriend is highly suspicious.. but that could be a red-herring as it seemed a bit obvious. Who knows. Very excited to see things open open in the next two episodes (creepy guy with glasses and five screens to watch the same footage!?).

Overall, was very impressed.

I don't know why they kept showing a Jubilee Line train when you can't get from St James Park to Westminster on that line  :giggle2:   And even if you could, it wasn't a platform at Westminster, cos they have platform doors :giggle2:  And then they climbed into the tube car and it changed from a Jubilee Line one on the outside to a District Line one on the inside  :giggle2:   

But apart from that I loved it  :D  

I love how the inevitable anti-climax that would have attached itself to any sort of reveal (there was always going to be someone that would be unhappy), was cleverly avoided. By presenting the alternatives in a jokey, roundabout fashion the real solution pleased - despite it meaning that 95% of the internet was right, I think it was better than having some overly obscure, unbelievable solution.

Agreed. I particularly liked the exchange between Sherlock and the fan club guy, when FCG said he was disappointed with Sherlock's explanation, and Sherlock said there are always critics. It was a clear reference to the entire storyline and the audience who would be watching. :D I loved that they provided different explanations (therefore possibly pleasing most of the audience) but leaving it open-ended.

And I *loved* Derren Brown's surprise cameo! Brilliant!

I must say that I don't quite buy the reason why Watson was left in the dark about Sherlock's death, especially when so many other people knew!

Thought the 'bomb in the underground' plot seemed a bit rushed and tacked on, but that was always going to seem the case when the main focus was on Sherlock's return and how all the different characters reacted (thought the scenes between John and Sherlock were done wonderfully - the gradual return to forgiveness dynamic was nicely done).

I also agree with this. About two-thirds of the way through, they had barely mentioned the terror plot, and I was starting to wonder whether they were going to drag it out over all three episodes! I do love how cheeky Sherlock is - especially when trying to announce himself to Watson in the restaurant, and then tricking Watson into saying nice things after he said he couldn't defuse the bomb. Hehe.

There were some wonderful touches - like the Molly/Sherlock scene where he showed genuine love and emotion for her. Also, I really enjoyed the 'games' scene with Mycroft and Sherlock. Their relationship is brilliant - a kind of mutual respect and care for each other, but twisted sibling rivalry too.

Agreed again! Finding out that they were playing Operation rather than chess cracked me up. Mycroft and Sherlock's relationship is getting more interesting all the time. I only found out recently (I'm probably the last to know!) that the guy who plays Mycroft is the co-creator of the series. Cool.

On a final note, I think Mary is very suspect as a character (the love for Sherlock seems just a tiny bit over the top to me) and might be part of the bigger picture. And of course, Molly's new boyfriend is highly suspicious.. but that could be a red-herring as it seemed a bit obvious. Who knows. Very excited to see things open open in the next two episodes (creepy guy with glasses and five screens to watch the same footage!?).

Ooh, I must admit that I just took these characters as they came. I'm not too suspicious of either of them, although I guess I should be!

I don't know why they kept showing a Jubilee Line train when you can't get from St James Park to Westminster on that line  :giggle2:   And even if you could, it wasn't a platform at Westminster, cos they have platform doors :giggle2:  And then they climbed into the tube car and it changed from a Jubilee Line one on the outside to a District Line one on the inside  :giggle2:   

But apart from that I loved it  :D

See? There are always critics. :P