Kat's Reading 2007

Lilywhite

Ok, I'm kicking the New Year off with Jonathan Stroud ~ Buried Fire

Deep in the English countryside, the unearthing of an ancient Celtic cross awakens an imprisoned dragon and unleashes a smoldering evil. Less than a mile away, 13-year-old Michael McIntyre falls asleep on a lush green hill, and wakes up with frightening and sinister new abilities. Michael possesses the four gifts of the dragon-and he's not the only one, nor is he the most powerful. The others, whose identities will be slowly revealed, offer Michael powers beyond his wildest dreams if he will keep their secret safe. Now he must choose: give up these astonishing but devastating new abilities and help his family and friends banish the evil that lies beneath their fragile earth, or join the others in their crusade to protect their gifts and set the dragon free - a choice that may well destroy everyone Michael loves. Those with power will stop at nothing to keep its secret, while those without it need Michael's protection to survive. Buried Fire combines elements of fantasy and mythology in a spellbinding tale of good versus evil.

Synopsis from Amazon.co.uk

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm halfway through the work I'm supposed to have done over xmas and I haven't read anything for days to catch up. As a reward I am going to make a start on one of my xmas pressies :D

Raven Hart ~ The Vampire's Seduction

When it comes to a wild and seductive nightlife, Savannah has bite.

Older than the United States and wealthy beyond his years, playboy William Cuyler Thorne is a vampire with a nice long undead life

You'll be very glad to know Michelle that so far I am really enjoying this one, it's quite different from anything else I have read so far with regards to vamp stories. I'm liking the main characters already and am really getting a feel for the personalities coming through.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished The Vampire's Seduction today and I am mightily impressed. I really enjoyed this book, it has just the right amount of everything in it to be enjoyable. I can't wait for the next installment now ;)

Next I am going to read my latest aquirement from Waterstone's John Grogan ~ Marley and Me

John and Jenny were just beginning their life together. They were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they bought home Marley, a wiggly yellow fur ball of a puppy. Life would never be the same. Marley quickly grew into a barrelling, ninety-seven pound steamroller of a Labrador retriever, a dog like no other. He crashed through screen doors, gouged through drywall, flung drool on guests, stole women's undergarments, and ate nearly everything he could get his mouth around, including couches and fine jewellery. Obedience school did no good -- Marley was expelled. Neither did the tranquilisers the veterinarian prescribed for him with the admonishment, 'Don't hesitate to use these.' And yet Marley's heart was pure. Just as he joyfully refused any limits on his behaviour, his love and loyalty were boundless, too. Marley shared the couple's joy at their first pregnancy, and their heartbreak over the miscarriage. He was there when babies finally arrived and when the screams of a seventeen-year-old stabbing victim pierced the night. Unconditional love, they would learn, comes in many forms. The heartwarming and unforgettable story of a family in the making and the wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life. For lovers of "Tuesdays with Morrie", The "Year of Magical Thinking", and even, of course, dogs!

I know a dog just like that! He belongs to a friend of mine, and he's a big heavy

yellow lab, like Marley. He is a whirlwind on legs with boundless energy and a propensity to bark just for the hell of it. He was originally a puppy for guide dog training, but failed miserably, not surprisingly. I think he lives in his own doggie world. Having said that though, like Marley, is exceptionally loyal and loving, and his owner adores him. I am fond of him too, but I sidestep quickly when he greets me, or else I end up on the floor!

PP

I'm going to have to call this one finished for now as I can't get through the last bit for the tears. I don't want to read any further at the minute as I know what's coming.

Still absolutley loved this book though, a great way to start the year :readingtwo:

Now I'm going to start one of my birthday pressies Gregory Maguire ~ Wicked

When Dorothy triumphed over the Wicked Witch of the West in L. Frank Baum's classic tale, we heard only her side of the story. But what about her arch-nemesis, the mysterious Witch? Where did she come from? How did she become so wicked? And what is the true nature of evil?

Gregory Maguire creates a fantasy world so rich and vivid that we will never look at Oz the same way again. Wicked is about a land where animals talk and strive to be treated like first-class citizens, Munchkinlanders seek the comfort of middle-class stability, and the Tin Man becomes a victim of domestic violence. And then there is the little green-skinned girl named Elphaba, who will grow up to become the infamous Wicked Witch of the West, a smart, prickly, and misunderstood creature who challenges all our preconceived notions about the nature of good and evil.