Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An author I did a review for last year (Tom Weston) randomly sent me a lovely hardback copy of his newest book as thanks for the review last year from which he borrowed quotes for the dustjacket of this one. I'm rather pleased, as I really enjoyed his original novel and hopefully this one will be as good!

At the moment I'm reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson, which is OK, but nothing exciting so far (I'm maybr a quarter of the way in and it's plodding along. It's not so dull as I'm ready to abandon it just yet, but if it doesn't pick up within the next 3 or 4 chapters I'll not be bothering with the rest of it. I'm beginning to wonder what all the hoo-ha surrounding this book is all about...

I thought the same, and for the first 250+ pages I was thinking God this is so bad, but a lot of people said it picks up and all thedetailing is needed. Get past that point and I am sure you will love it.

Well I decided to stick with Fallen by Lauren Kate and it's gradually got better.

I nearly bought this in boarders in Saturday, as I left my book behind when me and the OH went away, but decided on Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber not sure if I made the right choice, read a 100 pages and it isOk so far.

As for me, only 30 pages left of The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde, I would have finished by now but i left t behind when I went on my 'Early Valentines Get away' with my OH, so like I said above I needed to grab another book in boarders to keep me company when he went with his friends to by me a valentines resent. ;)

Not sure what to read after I finish It. Do I carry on reading Vampire kisses or do I start something else? For soe reason I have this urge to read The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.

I was hoping to finish the Whitechapel Conspiracy by Anne Perry over the weekend and make a start on the Mesmerist but other things took over and I'm very much behind in my reading right now.

I rescued near-fine copies of Steph Swainston's The Year of Our War and No Present Like Time from my local library for the risible price of 20p altogether ;) you can tell where the list of borrowers used to be, but nothing bookplates won't mask! One more reason to find me some...

I would have bought several more (such as a hardback copy of The Big Over Easy), however 10p or no, I couldn't bring myself to rescue books that had had the flyleaf torn off.

Barbarians!

Woo for The Historian, Steeeeve! Excellent book ;).

I got about halfway through The Swan Thieves over the weekend and am enjoying it muchly. I'm really curious as to how it's going to end! I also received Laurell K. Hamilton's Guilty Pleasures as a late birthday present from a friend last night at dinner so I'm excited to see what all the fuss is about with this series.

Since I am back at work I also picked up

The Tiger in the Well - Philip Pullman - No real idea what it's about but I loved His Dark Materials.

That's actually book 3 of 4 in the 'Lockhart Quartet'.

I've read the first two (and they were adapted on the BBC with Billie Piper playing Sally Lockhart) but haven't got round to reading the final two.

Currently reading Precious by Sapphire, which is now a major movie with Oscar nominations.

I am quite shocked by how unlikable the main character is turning out to be. I knew she had a damaged and violent upbringing but so far she has been nothing more than a crude-mouthed brat. Mind you, she is still more likable than her mother, which doesnt change much. It will be interesting to see if i end up rooting for her by the end.

And i also intend to see the movie adaptation if it ever comes this way.

I rescued near-fine copies of Steph Swainston's The Year of Our War and No Present Like Time from my local library for the risible price of 20p altogether ;) you can tell where the list of borrowers used to be, but nothing bookplates won't mask! One more reason to find me some...

Oooh!! Those are the ones we were talking about in the Has Anyone Read -thread!! :censored: Now you have no reason not to read them and tell me if they're any good :censored:

Today I'm going to go to a couple of charityshops and a secondhand bookshop... :lol:

Ooh, I sense another big book haul in the near future Frankie! Have fun. ;)

I'm about 80 pages from the end of GwtW. It's still going wonderfully but it's almost bedtime so I'll have to save the ending for tomorrow, and then I can finally get back to Macbeth. :censored:

Ooh, I sense another big book haul in the near future Frankie! Have fun. ;)

:censored: I hope it doesn't cause any earthquakes down under when I'm actually in the bookshops, if you're sensing it!

I'm about 80 pages from the end of GwtW. It's still going wonderfully but it's almost bedtime so I'll have to save the ending for tomorrow, and then I can finally get back to Macbeth. :censored:

Wow I didn't realise you were so close to the end!! And a lot sooner than you'd expected. Happy reading :lol:

Hmm, I'll have to work out the time difference because if you'll be book shopping while I'm asleep I might have to drag my pillow to the doorway and sleep there just in case (I've never been in an earthquake but from what I've seen on TV that's a safe place to be). ;)

Hmm, I'll have to work out the time difference because if you'll be book shopping while I'm asleep I might have to drag my pillow to the doorway and sleep there just in case (I've never been in an earthquake but from what I've seen on TV that's a safe place to be). :censored:

:censored: Well just for your information, I'm going to start shopping in an hour and will continue for 2-4 hours, depending on how many new books there are to go through. Sleep safe my friend! ;)