Kylie's Literary Adventures In 2010

Kylie

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kylie that's funny :D Who can remember everything aye, that's partly why we have these lists :lol: But I noticed that some of the books on your Rory list are not on my Rory list? We must have different lists, shoot! We must compare notes sometime.

I also wanted to say that my word you're really organised, I'm in awe! And I just loved going through your TBR list, it's huge and it makes me humble. I love it ;)

I wish you a happy 2010 reading year, I hope you find plenty of jewels and enjoy! :D

I see different Rory lists all over the place so I never know which one to use. Is yours from the Rory group on Goodreads? I think mine came from a post someone made in that group about a Rory Challenge they were doing. The list might change over time. If yours is the Goodreads list, maybe I'll just change it to match yours.

Thanks for your comments, Frankie. I'm sure I'll find plenty of jewels with all the recommendations from here! :)

Kylie I saw you last night when you were reserving over ten posts with nothing in them and I was wondering what you had planned (didn't comment so as not to interrupt your lists) but WOW. That is some amount of lists! And all the challenges!! ;)

Lady, I salute you :D

Thanks Noll! My paranoia that someone would post in my thread before I was done made me post all those blank posts. :D Although I should have known that everyone here is very understanding and I needn't have worried!

A lot of the challenges will hopefully tie in together so it won't be too much work for me. My main focus in 2010 is the dystopian challenge.

And my TBR pile is now so huge that instead of having it split across 4 posts like last year, I've made it into 6. My one hope this year is that I will actually manage to decrease my TBR pile. :)

Oh my goodness Kylie, that is some TBR pile! :D I'm very impressed, and your blog is another one that is very organised. Hat's off to you!

I hope you have many many hours of happy reading! ;)

Thanks Charm! I hope you also have many happy hours of reading and that your mojo doesn't desert you as much as it did last year. :)

I see different Rory lists all over the place so I never know which one to use. Is yours from the Rory group on Goodreads? I think mine came from a post someone made in that group about a Rory Challenge they were doing. The list might change over time. If yours is the Goodreads list, maybe I'll just change it to match yours.

Thanks for your comments, Frankie. I'm sure I'll find plenty of jewels with all the recommendations from here! :)

I think I've only come across with one Rory list with 120 books, I've seen the same list on many different websites in different formats but it's always the same 120 books. I think the same list is on Goodreads because they're always reading something from that list but I can't be sure because I couldn't find the actual list of books they're doing on their website.

However, now that you mentioned seeing different lists with different books I did a little digging and found this site. That person seems to be a huge GG fan and I would think that she knows what she's talking about. Take a look at the google docs spreadsheet she's made, it's massive!! But it does include books that are mentioned in the show but are not actually on the Rory Booklist.

I've always found the Rory Booklist a bit arbitrary. There are books that Rory would quite likely read. Okay, why not. And there are some great books on that list so I don't mind going through with it. But what I'd like more is a complete list of books that are actually mentioned on the show, a list of books that Rory and let's say Jess talk about having read or wanting to read. I think that docs spreadsheet includes those books and I'd rather do something like that ;)

Edit: Okay I found the same Shonali girl with her spreadsheet on here.

Edited by frankie

Shonali's list is the one I'm using, but I had to edit it a bit because she had some books listed twice. It's just so hard to find a complete list. Like you, I would prefer to read only books mentioned on the show and not other books that Rory 'might' read. I think it was once mentioned on the show that she had read all of the Oprah books, so I think some people might include every Oprah book even after the show ended, which I don't want to do.

I've never been able to work out the Goodreads list as there's an awful lots of very modern books on there.

I just found this list, which has books mentioned in the show, although it may not be complete (scroll down to the last list).

Kylie, good luck on all of your challenges, I am really looking forward to reading your thoughts the books from your dystopian challenge:)

I have added a few to my wishlist Kylie, I hope you don't mind;):friends0:

Edited by Weave

Oh you're already using Shonali's list, well okay then. You won't be shocked by the massive amount of 250 books (some of which are twice on the list like you said). I think I might have to include this list to my Rory booklist on my first page of this blog :) That's a lot of editing right there...

It's just so hard to find a complete list. Like you, I would prefer to read only books mentioned on the show and not other books that Rory 'might' read.

Indeed ;) If I'd be seriously, utterly and totally committed to this thing and would have all the time in the world, I'd start watching the series from the first ever episode and make my own list. But then I wouldn't actually have any time left to read the books... Also, I've been doing that Rory list for a couple of years now and I can't see myself dropping it just like that since I've done so much of it already. And most of the books on the list sound really great and some of them are on my TBR list anyway.

I think it was once mentioned on the show that she had read all of the Oprah books, so I think some people might include every Oprah book even after the show ended, which I don't want to do.

I wouldn't want to include the Oprah books that have come out after the show ended, either. Besides, I can't even imagine Rory doing an Oprah reading list in the first place. Okay she's a very influential American person but it's just too mainstream US for me and I can't see Rory doing something like that, not when it comes to books.

The list that you found and put on your latest post seems really good. I need to work that into my Rory list as well. Man this is turning out to be a lot of work!

Edit: Shonali's doc spreadsheet is awful, I can't copy+paste from that so I'll have to do it manually o_O

Edited by frankie

I don't mind at all! I've added enough to my own wishlist from your recommendations. :)

I'll be starting my first dystopian, a re-read of Fahrenheit 451, in a couple of days.

Happy to share Kylie, as you are ;) Enjoy 'Fahrenheit 451' its a great read :D

Indeed :) If I'd be seriously, utterly and totally committed to this thing and would have all the time in the world, I'd start watching the series from the first ever episode and make my own list. But then I wouldn't actually have any time left to read the books... Also, I've been doing that Rory list for a couple of years now and I can't see myself dropping it just like that since I've done so much of it already. And most of the books on the list sound really great and some of them are on my TBR list anyway.

I started making my own list when I started watching all the seasons again, but I didn't get very far. I could easily get the obvious references to books, but I often have trouble working out what Rory is reading when they just show the book. I think continuing on with the list you already have would be fine. :lol:

I wouldn't want to include the Oprah books that have come out after the show ended, either. Besides, I can't even imagine Rory doing an Oprah reading list in the first place. Okay she's a very influential American person but it's just too mainstream US for me and I can't see Rory doing something like that, not when it comes to books.

I was really surprised that she would read the Oprah books as well. It doesn't seem like a very cool thing for Rory to do. It seems more like something she would mock other people for doing!

Edit: Shonali's doc spreadsheet is awful, I can't copy+paste from that so I'll have to do it manually o_O

I did a lot of work on the spreadsheet and split the authors into separate columns and everything. I set it up kind of like Arukiyomi's spreadsheet for the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, which is often linked to on the Goodreads website. Do you have a copy of it?

If you like, I can send you a copy of the spreadsheet I set up for Rory's book list. It might save you some trouble as I've deleted the duplicates. :)

Happy to share Kylie, as you are :lol: Enjoy 'Fahrenheit 451' its a great read :)

Thanks Weave. I re-watched the movie recently so it is still fresh in my mind and it will be interesting to compare it to the book.

Blimey, Kylie - I'm in awe of your impressive To Read pile - although I think it would scare the socks off me to have that many books unread! :)

How many books do you hope to read this year?

Good luck. :lol:

Thanks Janet! I need all the luck I can get, I think. My TBR pile scares me quite a bit and I would like to end the year with fewer books than I started with (which would be a first), but I know myself too well and I don't think it will happen. :)

Last year I aimed to read 52 books and got through 86 but this year I intend reading 'heavier' books so I don't think I'll get through as many. Perhaps I'll set a goal of 65.

I was really surprised that she would read the Oprah books as well. It doesn't seem like a very cool thing for Rory to do. It seems more like something she would mock other people for doing!

Exactly! She'd eat Pop Tarts with Lorelai and they would mock till they'd drop!

I did a lot of work on the spreadsheet and split the authors into separate columns and everything. I set it up kind of like Arukiyomi's spreadsheet for the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, which is often linked to on the Goodreads website. Do you have a copy of it?

Oh **** that's sweet! Something I'd definitely want to do. The problem is that when I started to set that thing up, I was asked to type in my Product Key so the computer could start setting up Microsoft Excel to my computer, but I have no idea what my Product Key is :) So that's that. No hightech booklists for me :)

If you like, I can send you a copy of the spreadsheet I set up for Rory's book list. It might save you some trouble as I've deleted the duplicates. :lol:

Thanks Kylie, that's real sweet of you, but I couldn't resist, I already manually collected the books from that spreadsheet. It took me quite some time but hey, it's a Sunday, what else is there to do? :lol:

That spreadsheet thing looks pretty incredible. I see some sort of craze has passed me by with this whole Rory thing.. I haven't seen any, but I assume from conversation's that you are talking about Gilmore Girls? Anything I would enjoy do you think?

Gilmore Girls is the most clever show I've ever watched, with fast-paced, witty dialogue and lots of pop culture references to try and decode. The town that is the centre of the action is peopled with lots of very quirky and loveable characters, and it's a real treat watching the characters grow and evolve. And it's not just a girl's show; my ex really enjoys watching it with me.

I'd definitely recommend that you give it a go. :)

Thanks Janet! I need all the luck I can get, I think. My TBR pile scares me quite a bit and I would like to end the year with fewer books than I started with (which would be a first), but I know myself too well and I don't think it will happen. :)

Last year I aimed to read 52 books and got through 86 but this year I intend reading 'heavier' books so I don't think I'll get through as many. Perhaps I'll set a goal of 65.

65 is the number I managed in 2009 although I had several YA/Children's books in that total. Good luck - I'm sure you'll achieve that.

I think I'm currently working on an old version of Arukiyomi's spreadsheet, from the look of the link you posted, but I think I'll stick with that for now. I've only managed a shameful 38 though!

I adapted his spreadsheet for the BBC's 100 Must-read books. I didn't know there was also a 1001 children's books you must read before you grow up... book, but I think attempting that as well might be a step too far! :)

I set up a list of the 1001 Children's Books in a spreadsheet along the same lines of Arukiyomi's spreadsheet, and my Rory Book List is also set up the same.

Of course, I have no intention whatsoever of getting through all of these lists, but they're just so addictive and I like ticking things off! The 1001 Children's Books is particularly tricky as there are lot of book for very young children, which I just wouldn't bother with. :lol:

I'm pretty sure I've ticked off the BBC books somewhere as well, and there are similar lists produced by the major bookshops in Australia each year, so there is never any shortage of lists for me!

Oh, how I do love lists. :) Which reminds me...I saw a quirky book recently for lovers of lists such as myself. There are lined pages with headings for making lists for the most ridiculous things. I wish I could remember some examples. :)

I received two books in the mail today:

Doris Lessing: Memoirs of a Survivor

Vladimir Nabokov: Bend Sinister

I actually ordered and paid for these last year so I'm counting them as books bought in 2009, which leaves me with a blank slate for 2010. I'll have to do something to change that soon. :roll:

I received $60 in book vouchers off my brother the other day, so now I face the agonising decision of trying to choose which books I want off my wish list. :D

Gilmore Girls is the most clever show I've ever watched, with fast-paced, witty dialogue and lots of pop culture references to try and decode. The town that is the centre of the action is peopled with lots of very quirky and loveable characters, and it's a real treat watching the characters grow and evolve. And it's not just a girl's show; my ex really enjoys watching it with me.

I'd definitely recommend that you give it a go. :roll:

That sounds great Kylie, thank you, I think I might give it a try. Before you know it I will be attempting the Rory List. :D