Kylie's Literary Adventures In 2010

Kylie

I read 10 books in January, which is great for me. :) I don't expect to read nearly as many in February because I'll be spending most of the month reading Gone with the Wind. I'm currently 60 or so pages in and enjoying it very much.

60 pages! Wow, you're really moving on GwtW, Kylie! :lol: Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I aim to read at least 50 pages a day, and I have an electronic version so I can't resist sneaking in a paragraph or two while I'm at work. :) I really want to see the movie again, but I'm determined to resist until I've finished the book!

They are secondhand books that are donated and all profits go to charity. The great thing is that a lot of the books look brand new (I think people just read them once and then donate them) so a lot of the time it's like you're getting a brand new book for at least 75% off. I took photos last time and I've been meaning to put them in an album here. I'll try it now.

That sounds like the best thing ever! Secondhand books that are in shipshape condition, are really cheap and the profits go to charity!! I wish we had something like that in here. And all those books are in English... I looked up the pic you posted on your album and it was just amazing. AND, I read somewhere else that there's books coming in throughout the day so you can go through the place whole day and still find some new interesting things! You know when you told me last year you bought over 100 books, I was a little worried because I thought that the books cost the normal price but now I can totally understand why you'd buy so many books. I have to come and visit some day. Although that might not be very smart, how am I ever gonna get all them books to the airplane??

Haha, had I not known that you've read all these books during the last couple of weeks or so, I would've thought you've gone bonkers and read 10 books during last weekend and written all those reviews today! :roll:

I definitely need to get the Ella Minnow Pea book. And The Plucker book, maybe, although I don't think that's the kind of book I would usually go for. 10 books in January, if you keep going at this rate you'll have read easily over 100 books by the end of the year :D I've forgotten how many pages you have in your GwtW edition and I was just wondering that if you'll keep up with your goal of 50 pages per day, how long will it take you to finish the book?

These both sound really interesting.. thanks for your reviews. :D

Thanks Michelle! :roll:

Oh I loved 'Gone With the Wind' Kylie, it was one of those books that I was sorry to finish .. hope you're still enjoying it :lol:

I'm really enjoying it. I'm about 150 pages in and Scarlett has just arrived in Atlanta. It's terrific. :D When I look at how much has already happened in the (relatively) few pages I've read, I just can't wait to see what will be packed into the rest of the book!

That sounds like the best thing ever! Secondhand books that are in shipshape condition, are really cheap and the profits go to charity!! I wish we had something like that in here. And all those books are in English... I looked up the pic you posted on your album and it was just amazing. AND, I read somewhere else that there's books coming in throughout the day so you can go through the place whole day and still find some new interesting things!

It's so great. I'm already counting down to the next one in April. :D It's very easy to stay all day long when there are new books coming out. I remember one volunteer was opening a box of sci-fi books to put them out and another girl and I were hovering around him. When we saw it was full of Terry Pratchett books, we both grabbed a stack each. They never even made it to the table. :D It's pretty funny because whenever a volunteer is putting out books everyone kind of pauses and watches anxiously to see what it being put out.

You know when you told me last year you bought over 100 books, I was a little worried because I thought that the books cost the normal price but now I can totally understand why you'd buy so many books. I have to come and visit some day. Although that might not be very smart, how am I ever gonna get all them books to the airplane??

There's no way I could afford all those books at retail price. :D I actually buy very few books brand-new because otherwise I just wouldn't be able to afford to feed my habit like I need to. :lol:

I really wish you could come with me one day. You would love it so much! And you could always leave the books at my place. :lol:

I definitely need to get the Ella Minnow Pea book. And The Plucker book, maybe, although I don't think that's the kind of book I would usually go for. 10 books in January, if you keep going at this rate you'll have read easily over 100 books by the end of the year :roll: I've forgotten how many pages you have in your GwtW edition and I was just wondering that if you'll keep up with your goal of 50 pages per day, how long will it take you to finish the book?

100 books in a year has always seemed so far out of my reach, but I might just try to aim for it this year! There are 1011 pages in my edition so it should take me less than 3 weeks, but I'm already reading above that average, and I intend to keep doing that so hopefully I'll finish in less than 2 weeks.

I remember one volunteer was opening a box of sci-fi books to put them out and another girl and I were hovering around him. When we saw it was full of Terry Pratchett books, we both grabbed a stack each. They never even made it to the table.

:) Were you both laughing about it? I hope she didn't send you vicious looks for being there and taking all the books you could get yourself. And vice versa :)

There's no way I could afford all those books at retail price. I actually buy very few books brand-new because otherwise I just wouldn't be able to afford to feed my habit like I need to.

Me too, that's why I hardly ever go to the local bookstore because the prices always make me unhappy, and even the books that are on sale are always more expensive than the ones I buy on play.com. You and I, we appreciate low prices and volume, not one new book per month!

I really wish you could come with me one day. You would love it so much! And you could always leave the books at my place.

:lol: You're kidding, right?? That would defeat the purpose of the journey!! Unless I take a month off, stay at your place, read all the books I can and then leave them to you. I could make you dinner when you get home from work and do the dishes. How's that for rent? :lol: Or, I'll just come during the summertime so I won't have to take that many clothes with me, and buy the biggest and lightest suitcase there is and then when I'm heading home I'll leave the clothes behind and only bring the books with me :lol: Hm, when will I have the time to see the koalabears? :)

I haven't been reading the Book Activity -thread today, where you at with GwtW? I went shopping for new jeans today (no luck with that!) and have been kind of busy but I've been doing a bit of reading and I'm on page 30 or something. It's a bit slow because I want to take notes as well. But I'm beginning to like the novel =)

Were you both laughing about it? I hope she didn't send you vicious looks for being there and taking all the books you could get yourself. And vice versa

We were friendly towards each other and we both had lists of all our books so we wouldn't get duplicates. :lol: She wanted to know which Pratchett's I'd gotten but I didn't ask her because I'm pretty sure she got a lot I didn't have and I didn't want to be disappointed!

You and I, we appreciate low prices and volume, not one new book per month!

Absolutely. Lower prices means more books and a happier Frankie and Kylie. :D

:readingtwo: You're kidding, right?? That would defeat the purpose of the journey!! Unless I take a month off, stay at your place, read all the books I can and then leave them to you. I could make you dinner when you get home from work and do the dishes. How's that for rent?

Hmm, I think you may have seen through my cunning plan to acquire all of your books. ;) Aw, a cooked dinner and dishes would be lovely! Would you mind vacuuming as well? Oh, and the bathroom could do with a clean. :lol:

Hm, when will I have the time to see the koalabears? :(

Oh, we'll fit them in. They're a good train ride away from my house, so we can read on the train going there and back.

I haven't been reading the Book Activity -thread today, where you at with GwtW? I went shopping for new jeans today (no luck with that!) and have been kind of busy but I've been doing a bit of reading and I'm on page 30 or something. It's a bit slow because I want to take notes as well. But I'm beginning to like the novel =)

I'm up to chapter 21 (p 344 in my edition). It's going great! I'm glad you're enjoying it more now.

I'll think I'll even be finished in less than 2 weeks, which is at least a week earlier than I originally thought. :friends0:

Yesterday I rearranged all my books and now I have 5 spare shelves for new acquisitions. :D I've also removed another 5 books from my TBR pile; books that I knew I wouldn't get to for a long time, if ever.

I removed another 6 books from my TBR pile today. It's getting easier and I'm very proud of myself. :lol: That will probably do for now. I must have removed 25-30 books in the last few weeks, and my TBR pile is now at 564, still a little on the large side, but I'm breathing a bit easier.

I now have 5 and a half spare bookshelves for new books; that should tide me over until the end of the year at least. :roll: Some of that space has also come from books that I've read and now discarded because I know I won't read them again.

I'm also pleased because by the end of the weekend I will have read 200 pages of Gone with the Wind and at least 40 pages of Macbeth (I might get in another 20 pages of the latter before the day is out). I usually read hardly at all on the weekend, so I'm feeling pretty good about myself. :D

Wow, yet again you're removing books from your TBR and shelves! Brave you :roll: It makes me want to go through my shelves myself, but I just don't think I have any books I can part with, except for Stephen King's Cell, maybe. I've been thinking about rearranging my shelves though, I'd like to put some of the Rory Books that I've only bought because of the Rory Challenge together and make a nice nook for them :D (Not the ones that are on my TBR for 1001 Books Challenge though, or the ones that I've bought for other reasons though, that would make such a chaos! :lol:)

Kylie, instead of us taking over Pipread's reading log, I thought I'd ask you here if you think it would be a good idea to go for Uncle Tom's Cabin after Gwtw? As a Rory Challenge read? :D I think I'd like it very much. We don't have to start straight away though if we don't want to, I'm sure we both have other books and guilty reads to go through as well :D

Ooh, I'll have to think about that. I don't actually have it on my TBR pile and I'm trying to be a little good this month. ;) I think I have an ebook version of it. Is it very long?

Just this morning I read a reference to Uncle Tom's Cabin in GwtW. :censored:

Ooh, I'll have to think about that. I don't actually have it on my TBR pile and I'm trying to be a little good this month. :censored: I think I have an ebook version of it. Is it very long?

Just this morning I read a reference to Uncle Tom's Cabin in GwtW. :lol:

Oh, see I thought it was on your TBR pile. My copy's 567 pages long, blimey I didn't know it was that long... ;) Well, anyways, I might give it a go. I'm travelling to BF's today and I'm staying for a week and I need to carefully consider which books to pack and which books are sure to interest me :censored:

Oh, maybe I'll pass for now. I don't really fancy reading all that on a tiny screen. ;) Sorry I confused you about having it on my TBR pile!

As soon as I finish GwtW I'm going to read Flowers for Algernon (I know I told you I'd start this the other day but I decided I'm loving GwtW too much to start on another book just now :censored:).

Oh, maybe I'll pass for now. I don't really fancy reading all that on a tiny screen. ;) Sorry I confused you about having it on my TBR pile!

No problem, you only said that you haven't read it, I myself made the assumption that it was on your TBR :)

As soon as I finish GwtW I'm going to read Flowers for Algernon (I know I told you I'd start this the other day but I decided I'm loving GwtW too much to start on another book just now :lol:).

Haha :censored: I understand, it's taken me by surprise how excellent this GwtW is as well, I thought it would be a real chore getting through it! I haven't read Flowers for Algernon in days myself :censored:

I agree, it's not a chore at all! I'll be sorry when it ends. :censored: I'm already planning on waiting for a nice new edition to come out, or I might even splash out for a hardback edition and I'll replace my own tattered paperback with it.

I've already had a couple of people at work assuming that I've read it many times because it looks so worn and tatty. ;)

I agree, it's not a chore at all! I'll be sorry when it ends. :lol: I'm already planning on waiting for a nice new edition to come out, or I might even splash out for a hardback edition and I'll replace my own tattered paperback with it.

I've already had a couple of people at work assuming that I've read it many times because it looks so worn and tatty. :censored:

Awww, poor tatty edition :censored: (I've never heard the word 'tatty' before, it sounds so funny!) A hardback copy would be pretty huge and heavy, you could probably use it for weight lifting ;)

I'm thinking about getting the sequel called Scarlett (?). I don't think it's written by Mitchell herself, but I think it's worth a look.

Edit: Oh shoot!!! I just googled Scarlett to read about the sequel and went to the Wikipedia page of Scarlett O'Hara and I immediately saw one spoiler!! Now I'm ****** off. Well I learnt me lesson, no more googling for me :)

Edited by frankie

Oh no! I hate when that happens. ;)

My edition of Macbeth has a list of characters and a summary about each at the beginning of the text. I read the summaries and it completely gave away the plot. :censored: I've read Macbeth before but I hadn't remembered everything that happened. Oh well. I suppose they figure everyone knows the plot.

I love your new sig!

I hate it when they do that, give away the plot with the list of characters, the same thing happened when I was reading Anna Karenina and had to resort to the list of characters to help me memorise the names of people. Well it didn't give away the whole plot but one important detail, something that I was particularly interested in :censored:

And they shouldn't think everyone knows the plot! Not everyone knows Shakespeare from the womb stage of life and it's not like the knowledge comes through breastfeeding ;)

They should really put some sort of a spoiler alert in there, or better yet don't put anything at all! In some of my editions (I think the Wordsworth books) they actually recommend that you read the book first and then come back to the introduction at the end so you don't have the reading of the book spoiled. I really like that. :censored:

;) That's right. One can easily go through life missing out on learning things that a lot of others would consider as general knowledge.

They should really put some sort of a spoiler alert in there, or better yet don't put anything at all! In some of my editions (I think the Wordsworth books) they actually recommend that you read the book first and then come back to the introduction at the end so you don't have the reading of the book spoiled. I really like that. :lol:

;) That's right. One can easily go through life missing out on learning things that a lot of others would consider as general knowledge.

:censored: What's up with that?? You don't suppose they always put the introduction first so people could read it and get the hang of the story and how it's supposed to be interpreted, them believing the masses are so stupid that they wouldn't get the gist of things on their own? :censored: You gotta love that!