Reading Habits

Chrissy

Wow I feel so juvenile :D

I read in fits and starts... a page today, two hundred tomorrow. I never really reflect on what I've read. Maybe I should start... I seem to miss out on a lot of stuff while reading. somewhere between enjoying novels and learning to read fast I missed out on reading efficiently. Hurts me most when reading classics.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need quiet, i can read with noise but i don't take in as much and sometimes have to flick back a couple of pages to remind myself which can get annoying. I can't leave a book in the middle of a sentence it has to be at the end of a chapter.

The same except that i don't mind the noise of the tv for example when i'm reading online.

Preferably it's quiet, however, if I have to choose between sitting on my room alone quiet, or sitting downstairs with the family where it's not so quiet, I'll still do the latter. On the sofa, because in bed I never sit comfortable for long, and seriously, reading while laying down, nu-uh. Hate it.

I read all day if I can, but often just in the evening, cause that's when I have the time for it. Unfortunately that means sometimes I am too tired for it, sometimes my eyes just don't want to make sense of the words or I notice I have been reading the same bit over and over.

Tea, or coffee with my book please. No food, am distracted while reading, and don't want food residue in my book. :D

It really depends on each individual books...some are so easy to read through that they really flow, I can have music on in the background without any issues. Other books, they require my full attention (otherwise I get to the end of a page and realise I havent actually "read / taken in" a single word..usually if that happens I go back a few pages to make sure I didnt miss anything!

It really depends on each individual books...some are so easy to read through that they really flow, I can have music on in the background without any issues. Other books, they require my full attention (otherwise I get to the end of a page and realise I havent actually "read / taken in" a single word..usually if that happens I go back a few pages to make sure I didnt miss anything!

Same here, I do like quiet but OH can't stand it so there alway's seems to be noise in the house so I've got used to reading whilst ignoring the din! Although some books take too much concentration and I wait for him to be out before trying to read those.

I don't mind a bit of background noise - low music or quiet conversation, something like that. But I can't have the TV on because I'll just get distracted!

I'll read generally everywhere - on the couch, in bed, on the bus, outside (weather permitting), in cafes etc. It's quite easy to block out noise, especially if I'm really into a book. The amount of times I've missed my stop because I've been too engrossed doesn't bear thinking about :). I don't read books in the bath though, I'm scared of dropping them, but I'll happily read magazines in the bath.

I live right by the sea so I've spent many summers walking down to the beach (if you can call it a beach - bring a towel and a bag of sand!) with my dog and letting him run around and play in the sea while I sit and read a while. I've wasted whole afternoons doing this :D.

I do eat while I read, mostly snacky stuff like chocolate and I always have to have a drink nearby.

I try to read at least a little bit every day, whether it's just a page or half the book in one go. It also depends on the book and how it flows.

Like a lot of posters, I take a book everywhere so I'm never stuck without one. I do get quite funny looks when I'll just pull out a novel when I'm queuing for something, but at least I'm entertained

I do get quite funny looks when I'll just pull out a novel when I'm queuing for something, but at least I'm entertained

That's brilliant, love it.

I actually never take books anywhere with me, as I can't read on buses/trains/in cars etc due to motion issues (not sickness, I just get dizzy) and beyond that I'm usually doing something. I may just have to get into a habit of it though.

I can read almost anywhere but I try not to read in bed because I can usually only manage a page before I fall asleep! Got to have a cuppa while I'm reading to keep me going.

If I know I'm going to have a quiet moment or two in the day I'll always pop my book in my bag just in case...

The more battered and creased the better I think for my books - surely if the spine is creased it is a symbol that you have read the book? I hate borrowing books from people who like to keep their books pristine, it means I cant take them in the bath!

I always carry a book around with me - I can't read in the car or on the bus but I used to do a lot of train journeys to Manchester (5 hrs from here) so I had a selection with me!

I tend to read either in bed or on the sofa, usually with a cup of tea or coffee but rarely with food unless I'm in a caf

I'm sure this stinky subject has been tackled many times on this forum, but I'm new round here, and am curious as to your thoughts.

Reading on the toilet?????

Personally, I have been known to browse through a magazine.

'Fess up. Confession is good for the soul.

:friends0:

I'm sure this stinky subject has been tackled many times on this forum, but I'm new round here, and am curious as to your thoughts.

Reading on the toilet?????

Personally, I have been known to browse through a magazine.

'Fess up. Confession is good for the soul.

:friends0:

OK, i must confess, i never got the whole 'reading on the toilet' thing. To be honest, and this may sound crude, but my transit time is obviously quicker than most people as i haven't time to scan a headline on the toilet, never mind browse a book or magazine. Its all over in a flash.

Maybe some people here need more fruit and vegetables in their diets :D

I hope you're all sitting comfortably! Some of these are mentioned elsewhere, but will collate them all here for your amusement/ bemusement (delete as applicable:mrgreen:).

Hardbacks. Jacket carefully removed and put in a special dustbag I have :D. Book carefully read, without creasing the gaps between the covers and the spine. Jacket replaced after use. I always lift the jacket slightly so the bottom doesn't get bent on the shelf before I put it back.

Paperbacks. I read these at an angle. I don't open the book more than about 45 degrees :D:blush: because... I can't bear creases in the spine! Unless it's one of my favourites anyway, because then I have a seperate reading copy, of which I will permit some bending of the spine :friends0:

This is quite embarrassing, I shouldn't have started this post!

Ok, there's more of course. I don't eat while I read. Not chocolate, because of smudgey chocolate marks on pages, and not meals, because it's quite difficult to manoevre a knife, a fork, and a book, and the book might get damaged. And I refuse to read in the bath. Can you imagine the state of the book if it actually fell right in the water?

I will have a cup of tea while I read, very carefully set back from the edge of whatever piece of furniture it rests on, just in case it falls off.

That post just might be one of the most unintentionally frightening things i've ever read :D wow

My favourite reading place is in bed with peace and quiet any time of the day, its a guilty pleasure that i love getting into bed in the afternoon on the weekend to read.

I do also read in the bath, and occasionally have to top the hot water up to stop from getting cold. In the summer I might sit in the garden on the lounger provided the neighbours aren't out too..I am now dreaming of summer...sigh will it ever get here

Is noise allowed? The TV or the children?

Noise doesn't bother me I completely zone out, sometimes I even listen to Classical music whilst reading but never music with lyrics.

Indoors or out? Morning or Evening?

Anywhere, anytime. At the moment a good deal of my reading time is during me 4 hours round trip commute which I do 5 times a week. I read most evenings too as I'm not much of a TV watcher.

Do you read on sofa or do you prefer to snuggle in bed with a good read?

I love to snuggle in bed, my husband always manages to get the sofa. :D

Is a cuppa close to hand? Do you feast while you read?

I often make a cup of tea as I sit down to read, and I almost always forget to drink it.

I always have a book or two on me.

I read on the toilet too, my husband is merciless in his teasing about it insisting only men are meant to do it. In my defense I have quite a few food intolerance's. :friends0:

Edited by cosychair

I've tried various different environments to read over the years. I find the best for me is indoors in total silence, I quite liked the idea of listening to background music that matched in some way what I was reading..but it didn't work, I found it to distracting.

So I sit in my living room now with everything off (erm just read that back, everything electrical off, :roll:), though I do tend to leave my PC on.

I'm in the process of redecorating my bedroom and am on the lookout for a comfy seat that I can put in there (thinking a loveseat), so I can have a reading room away from distractions such as the TV and PC.

Reading outside in the height of summer is also quite nice.

Is noise allowed? The TV or the children?

Noise doesn't bother me I completely zone out, sometimes I even listen to Classical music whilst reading but never music with lyrics.

Thank you for changing my style of reading!!!!!

I read that and decided to try it. I get really distracted when listening to my usual selection of heavy metal and hard rock songs while reading, but I can't read in complete silence either. So I thought I'd give classical music a try.

Not only do I enjoy the music now but I also read better!!!!

Thanks again!

Thank you for changing my style of reading!!!!!

I read that and decided to try it. I get really distracted when listening to my usual selection of heavy metal and hard rock songs while reading, but I can't read in complete silence either. So I thought I'd give classical music a try.

Not only do I enjoy the music now but I also read better!!!!

Thanks again!

I quite like this idea too, it can feel a bit weird sitting in silence at times. I shall be giving instrumental music a try.