Reading Habits

Chrissy

I haven't read all the replies..I am just responding to the original poster's question.

I can read anywhere , anytime. Doesn't matter if TV is on or off or what background noise there is.. I am not allowed to read at the dinner table. But if I am on my own in the house I invariably read while I am eating. Otherwise you just have your food to look at don't you? What is the point of that?

I used to have a book open in every room- some books it would take me weeks to read that way but since being on here I have actually changed my reading habits overnight.

Now I just read ONE book at a time and keep it with me till it is finished.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have been trying this out and I think the person who suggested having classical playing whilst reading is on to something.

Of course it wouldnt work for everybody, but for someone like me who is very easily distracted by the tv and hearing words/phrases/lyrics that catch my attention, and who gets a little self conscious of sitting in total silence, which can be a distraction in itself; classical definitely fills a space and is a non obtrusive pleasant background 'noise'.

Classical FM is annoying though, with the commercials and presenters they go to every 10 minutes or so. Fortunately there are a number of online sites that constantly stream music with no interruptions whatsoever. I'm listening to one streaming from Holland as I type.

Here is a website that list sites that stream classical: http://classicalwebcast.com/europe.htm

I'm currently listening to 'light classical' 3rd one down in the list.

Edited by Johnny Carson Whit

Is noise allowed? The TV or the children?

I find it difficult to concentrate unless its relatively quiet. My hubby has just bought a home cinema system and watches a lot of dvds, so it sounds like someone is filming an action movie in our livingroom most of the time :lol: i tend to start off on the couch and end up in the bedroom with the cat :lol:

Indoors or out? Morning or Evening?

If its quiet i can read anywhere, in the car, on the bus. I read a lot in work in-between patients which is great, and then i read some more on my lunch break.

Do you read on sofa or do you prefer to snuggle in bed with a good read?

Both, and i love reading last thing at night in bed :blush:

I can normally read in any environment, as long as the book is interesting. If it requires a lot of concentration, I need it quiet. However, I've come to find I can't read standing up. I prefer to be sitting somewhere comfortable with maybe some soft music playing while I read.

Not sure if this counts, bit I've recently gotten into a habit of picking up a new book before I've finished the one I'm on. It goes on and on and I start loads of new books but never finish them... I am determined now to break the habit.

Edited by Ilona

I can't read with music on, I find it difficult to immerse myself in a story otherwise. I suppose it depends on the story though because the right instrumental CD can really set the mood. Being in a warm bed is compulsory of course!

Agreed, a warm bed and silence are essential for a good read! I was never one to enjoy listening to music whilst reading, find it too distracting. Mind you, i am usually too tired to read much in bed at night so tend to limit my reading to evenings and plane journeys/trains etc.

Is noise allowed? The TV or the children?

I will absorb more detail from a book when it is silent around me. Although I have been known to read while others around me chat like at work during lunch break or on a bus to college like I used to do years ago, not so much now though. I think it depends on the type of book and the ease of the language to how much distraction I can take.

For me to zone into the book the noise if any has to be so loud it goes over me, if one or two people are speaking I find it hard to ignore them, it is so irritating especially when they are chatting about s**t and you can't help but listen and waste your time. :lol:

Indoors or out? Morning or Evening?

All of the above I guess but mostly indoors during the evening if i'm busy in the day working. Last friday I was found on a park bench (outdoors) reading in the day before midday so I guess that covers the other two.

Do you read on sofa or do you prefer to snuggle in bed with a good read?

I prefer to read snuggled in bed or on my bed because that is the quietest place in the house and if snuggled in bed its more than likely when everyone else is in bed and its quiet enough to concentrate. But I can read and be just as happy on the sofa or any olde chair or floor space if needs be.

Is a cuppa close to hand? Do you feast while you read?

Not always but a drink of green tea or just juice is nice to have beside so reading does not need to be disturbed if suddenly thirsty, I had a glass of red wine the other night while reading. :lol: I don't usually eat while eating, unless you count eating M&Ms or similar things eating.

Does everything have to be just so?

Nope, as long as I have not too much noise, a comfyish place to sit and my book, and ideally other books surrounding me then i'm happy.

I do tend to like reading when other people are reading around me - but thats just a random comment. :lol:

Am i the only one who mostly reads books in their own room? Now obviously on plane journeys and holidays etc i will read there, but at home i tend to do most of my reading in the bedroom as opposed to the kitchen or living room, its just a personal habit. I also could not concentrate if their was any type of music playing in the room, even slow or classical music, i need silence.:friends0:

My room is the only place in the house with the sufficient level of solitude and peace required for reading, which I do mostly lying on my bed, a cup of coffee always on the ready. :friends0: I don't go downstairs, it's ghastly.. For there, I would have to face two tv's blaring + the annoying, and overbearing voice of my sister, who can't seem to ever shut up. My room is my sanctuary. :D

Am i the only one who mostly reads books in their own room? Now obviously on plane journeys and holidays etc i will read there, but at home i tend to do most of my reading in the bedroom as opposed to the kitchen or living room, its just a personal habit. I also could not concentrate if their was any type of music playing in the room, even slow or classical music, i need silence.:D

I live by myself so I can read anywhere and have the TV on or off as I desire. :friends0:

I also read a lot on trains though, but luckily the people on my trains are usually very quiet so it's not too difficult to concentrate. And if there's too much noise around I can get out my noise-cancelling headphones, which work a treat!

Am i the only one who mostly reads books in their own room?

I don't go downstairs, it's ghastly.. For there, I would have to face two tv's blaring + the annoying, and overbearing voice of my sister, who can't seem to ever shut up. My room is my sanctuary. :D

I can read absolutely anywhere. Anywhere the house, on public transport, in the city centre, in a house full of noise, in busy coffee shops full of chatty people, in complete silence.......basically because I grew up in a house like the one Tristan has just described except this house was full of crazy, screaming, hormonal women and no men. :friends0: If I'm reading it's even easier to zone everything out :lol: I don't even hear people calling my name....once I'm gone, I'm gone! My head is my sanctuary :D

I can read absolutely anywhere. Anywhere the house, on public transport, in the city centre, in a house full of noise, in busy coffee shops full of chatty people, in complete silence.......basically because I grew up in a house like the one Tristan has just described except this house was full of crazy, screaming, hormonal women and no men. :friends0: If I'm reading it's even easier to zone everything out :lol: I don't even hear people calling my name....once I'm gone, I'm gone! My head is my sanctuary :D

Wow i admire that ability to read anywhere, just be careful when crossing the road, you dont want to drown out the sound of, you know, lethal traffic, when you are walking from one place to the next. :D

This is probably the queerest reading habit anyone's ever seen, but I find I read best when I'm reading aloud. Not the entire story, of course, but the dialogue if possible. If I'm forced to read silently, I find that I kinda glaze over the tale and don't pay as much attention to the details. Of course, this results in other people being very displeased with me and the disturbance I create.

It's not that weird. I read aloud (well, mouth the words) when I want to read slowly, because my mind reads about three times faster than I can say the words. I have an awful tendancy to speed read through exciting bits, and often only skim enough to get the gist of a sentence, or even parargraph.

This is probably the queerest reading habit anyone's ever seen, but I find I read best when I'm reading aloud. Not the entire story, of course, but the dialogue if possible. If I'm forced to read silently, I find that I kinda glaze over the tale and don't pay as much attention to the details. Of course, this results in other people being very displeased with me and the disturbance I create.

I do this too, only when i'm in the house alone so people don't think i'm talking to myself, although I do that a fair bit anyway. I find I have a much deeper vision of whats happening by seeing the words with my eyes and hearing the words through my ears. I used to read Poe to my pet rat as he used to sit still long enough, my gerbils don't so much. :friends0: My voice/ throat does get sore after a while tho, I think its because i'm more muttering under my breath rather than speaking normally.

Edited by chrysalis_stage

Wow i admire that ability to read anywhere, just be careful when crossing the road, you dont want to drown out the sound of, you know, lethal traffic, when you are walking from one place to the next. :D

I try not to walk and read at the same time anymore since tripping over the corner of a paving slab a while back :D Luckily I didn't fall over but I was really embarrassed as there were a fair few spectators :D:D