Do you use your local library...?

Do you use your local library?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use your local library?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I have to admit, since the introduction of an iPad and a Kindle into our household, I have rarely used the library for borrowing books. I do, however, still go once a month for the reading group, and I borrow the books we're reading so that they show up on the stats, even if I then try and get them in ebook format as well.

I know some libraries in the US are making ebooks available for borrowing at the library, and if this was introduced here, I know I would make use of it more.

Great! We have 5 more votes (and counting?) to keep your "locals" - keep posting, folks. Maybe a representative of our dear Government will read this thread, and start paying attention to the Public? We can only hope.

Actually, I've been having a think - and my local Library has quite a special nook in my heart as regards childhood memories. I was there loads solo, from about 5 years old, for I was an avid reader, and thankfully it was just at the foot of our road, without even a street to cross.

(One of the benefits of living in a small community was such freedooms could be allowed to a small child).

I can't remember my first books borrowed - it'll have started early, as my parents read as much as they could spare time for too - but I do remember I loved the "Milly Molly Mandy" books, and borrowed and read them till they were almost worn out!

Who can remember their "first" books? Maybe your childhood trips to the Library were part of a family day out?

Have a think back, fellow bookworms - it'd be interesting to share the old memories. :D

I use my local library every week when I am in town its the main one for the area so a bit bigger than the others in the villages, its a bit worrying that with the local councils plans to redevelop part of one of the shopping arcades they are talking about closing it and relocating I can imagine they will close and 'forget ' to reopen which will be a real shame and I will be part of the protests if this happens here. Its not like the town centre needs redeveloping Salisbury has too many shops which are closed but its once again the local councils desire to ignore whats going on around them.

I can't remember what my forst book was I lived abroad from 5-9 and we didn't use the local library there as none of the books would have been in English, rather we belonged to the Puffin club which was part of the Penguin publishers and they would send out book we had ordered. When we came back to the UK the library was my favourite place to spend time, so much so that I did my work experience there and finally before Uni was Saturday girl for 2 years. Happy days and happy memories :D

Attagirl, Lopeanha - I wish you many enjoyable "reads" from your new membership. :)

- and I know just what you mean, Pickle, for my "local" feels a comfortable place to be, whether I'm actually book-hunting, or not! I pop in to use the photocopier quite a lot, and have found myself often sitting down (with a book in front of me for appearances sake)and letting myself have a spot of "quiet time" among the peace of the shelves.

Thinking about it - it's one of the few places in our modern world where fuss and rush aren't welcome, or needed!

That depends on what I'm actually reading. Sometimes I don't even go the library for a year, because then I've got too many books at home I'm still reading or something I'm rereading. Another reason is some books aren't available in the library, so I read them online.

Was chatting to one of the staff in my "local" this morning, and she confirmed for me that for folks in Cheshire, at least - there's no fee now to join the Libraries! (Each area around the U.K is different, but even if you do have to pay something, it won't be much) Also, if the book you'd like isn't on the shelves, the "request" fee is only £1. Not a bad deal for a 3-week free loan of your fancied book/s and you can always renew (no charge) so long as there isn't a queue waiting.

It's still cheaper than paying even £1.99 - £2.99 in most Charity shops for your choice, and much more than that from the main stores, or even online.

By the way - the staff are delighted that the public are showing support, and through joining and using this service, we may help save some endangered branches.

So if anyone is curious, your Libraries service will be listed online under your Council Services, it may just be worth a look, and a visit.

Take a couple of forms of I.D. (name & address) with you - and start saving that wonga on all kinds of books, C.D's, D.V.D.'s and computer games !

I don't use the library as much as I used to, but now and again I go online and reserve a book that I fancy reading, only 50p per reservation - what a bargain!

So much goes on in libraries for all age groups it would be criminal to lose the service so I'm going to make a real effort to use my local library on a regular basis again.

My own "local" has a reader's comments book which anyone can fill in with their comments on the service etc.,

Lately, it's been full of supportive remarks for the staff, and thanks for the services they provide, which is great. :D

I added my support too - but also asked for a longer piece of string for the pen attached to the book (!), as anyone trying to write comments near the bottom of the page, couldn't reach it.

I nipped in a couple of days later to use the photocopier, and noticed that the string hadn't been lengthened yet :rolleyes:

A small complaint though - otherwise, the service is top notch! :lol:

(I love the sound of that 50p request fee pipread - it's a still-reasonable £1 where I am.)

Happy Library-times, all.

I went in my local library today for the first time in about a year and so noticed just how much it has been reduced in that time. There were lots of shelves where the books were laid flat and showing their covers outwards, presumably because they wouldn't otherwise have enough books to fill them - or perhaps I'm being too pessimistic and in fact all those missing books have in fact been lent out. Certainly they are cutting back though, as there were only 2 computer stations where there used to be 5, and they have also started charging for audiobooks, which is a shame - I must have borrowed more of those than actual books when I used to go there as a child.

Incidentally, I took a peek in the kids' section today just out of interest: the shelves in there were still packed, and they had a much broader range in terms of publication date. In the adults' fiction section they seem to withdraw books as soon as they are more than about 5 years old (not counting the Classics, although there wasn't a dazzling selection of these either). I suppose it's good that they evidently are keeping the stock up to date, and indeed there was plenty that caught my eye - however as I've challenged myself to plough through the BBC Big Read list that was compiled in 2003 this isn't so useful to me, and I hate having to rely on ordering books in as you're not then able to browse before making a selection.

Still, I was reminded what a comfortable and friendly atmosphere it was in there, and mean to start using my library more frequently again.

Attagirl, Fev! :D

By the way - why not request a few of the "Big Read" booklist from your library?

It'd save a bit of cash, surely? Requests in my own "local" have only a £1 charge, some libraries charge less, or not at all.

That's sad. What's happening to libraries? When cuts have to be made, libraries go first? In Holland we're going to have less libraries too. One of my favorite libraries in my home town closed down a few years ago, I used to go there while growing up. :( We had quite a few different libraries, now there are only two left. Fortunately the one with more books is near my home. They almost closed it twice in the past few years!

Good grief it's spreading like the plague! :irked:

Such a shame that governments don't seem to care that libraries are wonderful places of social contact, where people enjoy taking a spell out of their lives to chat about their favourite authors, share interests etc., Plus the fact of course they are also a place where all the family can be provided for, together - and share a common interest. An important factor especially, if you have teenagers!

Don't we all think?

Oh I do think, even though I have no children myself, I do remember what it was like as a teenager ( a dim and distant memory) when you don't have a nig circle of friends and few hobbies it was a great place to escape to and escape further with a book, kept me entertained for hours and hours.

Know what you mean, Pickle - even as a newbie in town, the Library was a friendy place for me to go. Book lovers love books and reading, worldwide!

Just a suggestion Oksana - but wouldn't you using your Library more save you a bit of cash? The internet is great for getting book bargins, but nothing is cheaper than borrowing them free (or for very little, at least) and if you find you like a particular book - you can then buy it, to keep. It would also be somewhere you and your daughter could go for an outing together.

It's never too early (or even late) to learn to love reading. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I would but I owe them a fine from 1998 and am scared of the interest!

Lol - me too. My wife and son have cards, and no address based alarms went off when they joined. Part of me thinks If I break cover they will say "oh don't worry we have an amnesty", but part of me knows they are there, waiting, for me to show, and to lock me away !

I will have to do it, though, as I love Libraries and my absence has coincided with child rearing. Seem to have more time now !

Yes in fact I am one of the librarians, though I am just a volunteer 1 day a week. Library is called raintree resource center and is run by Chiang Mai Community Church. It is one of only 2 libraries in Chiang mai with English language books. Although it is run by church, they have every kind of book there.

My local library is great if you like chick lit and books about the war. If you don't then it's a bit of a waste of space. The fantasy and horror sections are teeny tiny and shoved at the back in the reading area. Every time I go in they've shrunk a little bit more.

For goodness sake, you lot - do you think your Library staff are a a bunch of Dragons?! :D

It won't be as bad as you think, I'm sure. If in doubt, then phone them and ask for your records to be checked - at least then you'll know what the charge (if any) might be, and it is true many Libraries will entirely forgive a long-standing fine, or at least only charge for a part of it.

The important thing to them is that readers come back again, and anyone willing to confess the crimes of their youth, is well on the way to forgiveness!

Oceansoul (I do love your user name) what about making a few requests in your Library for specific fantasy/horror books? Or - you could also ask one of the staff for a larger selection of any of such kinds of books. Libraries tend to supply largely what they know will be borrowed, so maybe yours doesn't have many readers into fantasy/horror. They need to know there's a fan about, needing the chance of a good browse, and you'll also give other people the opportunity to try another kind of book, too. Give it a try - the staff are ther to help, if they can.

I used to use my Library all the time when I was young.

Now days I don't get anywhere near as much time to read as I would like and therefore haven't been in years. If I managed to get through a book a week then I would use my Library.