Do you use your local library...?

Do you use your local library?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use your local library?

The libraries in Suffolk are fantastic. It's free to reserve books, I didn't realise some people had to pay. Also you can request a book from any of the County libraries and have it delivered to any branch as well.

If they haven't got a book that you want to read you can suggest it and they'll do their best to get it for you.

It's exactly the same where I live, it seems judging by some on this thread though that some local authorities neglect their libraries which is a shame. Especially during a time where they should be encouraging people to make use of facilities such as libraries.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use libraries at all. I don't like having a time limit in which to read my books and I don't like having to give them back. I'm also notoriously forgetful and would be constantly paying late fines which would end up working out more expensive than buying the books would in the first place!

I don't use the local library because it got closed about a year ago and they still haven't reopened it! But before, I'd go and get books from them too... it's good when I am trying not to spend money on books. I use the British Council library all the time. They don't have such a big selection but usually it means finding new authors :D

Why, why?? :D

It's horrible, I know :( I never did get what exactly happened... something about the main branch needed to do I don't know what and the workers from the local branches (mine was at the corner of the street I live on!) moved to the main one. I should go by and ask about it sometime and see if I'll ever use my permit again.

I worked in a library years ago as Sat girl (best ever job) unfortunately it was in a really rough part and it was a dumping ground for peoples kids whilst the teen mums went down the arcades and old people..unfortunately I got the news on morning that it had been smoke bombed in the night..it did eventually re-open but it took a good six months..some people!!

I used to write a newspaper column (community kind of stuff) and I wrote one once on how our local library is the biggest value on your tax bill. (I tied it to paying the tax bill date.)

Man, when I think of how much money I'd have to spend if I didn't have the library ... I read books, I check out non-fiction titles (doing web writing is a big one for me right now -- tons of info out there in my library!) and the audiobooks that keep me sane while I exercise ... We do DVDs, too, though not as much as we should. I have never bought an audiobook, but I've listened to easily a hundre or more, in the past 10 years. Heck, I'd have to go with at least 200.

Love libraries!

Our library has a website, and you can browse and request books online. However, they insist on sending a letter, rather than an email.. and charge 80p for doing it! :roll:

That's the most inefficient system ever. :)

I go to our library here a lot.. Probably once or twice a week. Sometimes I request books in advance, other times I just browse. I can usually get my hands on just about anything since NYC's library system is really extensive.

I use my local library occasionally, to check out books on CD and use the internet if the wifi is acting up at home. I would check out books, but I usually take too long to finish them and inevitably I have to take it back before I'm done. I do use the city library downtown however or the state historical society library when I'm doing genealogical research. Those books I can't check out so usually camp out for a full day :roll:.

I can't say that I've used a library for borrowing books since I was a pre-teen. I think that's because I simply like having a physical copy of a book I've read, to either display as part of a collection or throw away in disgust.

Actually, the throwing away in disgust isn't as satisfying as it sounds, since both my own and my wife's unwanted books usually end up in charity shops.

I like ownership though, possession. They're mine. My precious! :roll:

I feel most collectors abhor the idea of giving a library book back. :roll:

I like ownership though, possession. They're mine. My precious! :)

Does Pabloses like its precious? It does, does it? But pray is Pabloses possessive too? Maybe it'll play me a riddle, precious. Silly little humies like to play their riddles. But only if it doesn't cheat... yesss? preciousss?

Well i poped into my local one today to clear up any old fines i may have and to restart using it,as ive not been in quite a few years they take you off the system and ive had to rejoin.Thats meant no fines to pay lol.

So ive got a Jodi Picoult...The tenth circle and a Katie Fforde....Going Dutch,

Looking forward to starting them,im thinking Going Doutch first lol.

xx

I use my local library a lot, but i order my books on line from them as I can never go there by myself and browse as I always have the two little ones with me, it has a really good selection though and can order in books/CD's and DVD's for you

I use my local library quite often but what I usually find happens is I completely fall in love with the book I've borrowed and end up buying a copy anyway :roll:.

Luckily my town has 2 libraries - one about a 20 minute walk from my house, which is very small but still has a semi-decent selection, and one about a 20 minute bus ride which is bigger and has a great, wide range of books to choose from.

There's also another library, even bigger, about a 45 minute bus ride away, so if I ever run out of money to spend on books I'll be fine :).

I have been meaning to start using the library again. I visited pretty much weekly for a while but got out the habit while at uni and now I don't even know where my library cards are. I am also awful at remembering to take books back

I have been meaning to start using the library again. I visited pretty much weekly for a while but got out the habit while at uni and now I don't even know where my library cards are. I am also awful at remembering to take books back

My library send me an email two days before each book is due back, so I rarely forget now!