What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 6!

Echo

Oh that sounds interesting reading Talisman!

They are all interesting, although quite heavy going in places, as you have to keep track of all the family relationships, and who is related to who and how (through marriage or whatever). The sagas were and are bascially an account of the lives of the original Icelandic settlers and their descendants, who came from Norway in the late 9th Century. I have quite a collection of them, some of which I bought on previous visits to the country (I hope to make my 6th visit next year - the last one was in 2001), and some of which I obtained via a magazine called Iceland Review which I used to subscribe to.

Some of them including Laxdaela Saga are published by Penguin Classics, so you should be able to get them via Amazon or most book shops, but I would recommend that you learn a bit about the history of th country and Viking culture in general (which isn't at all what most people think) first to get the background.

I am convinced I must have had at least some previous lives in Iceland, as I have fascinated by the place for as long as I can remember, and whenever I go the Icelanders think I am one of them and start chatting away to me in Icelandic. One of these days I will learn the language, as I would be able to read the sagas in Icelandic - the language has changed so little in the last 1000 years that it is possible to still do this.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished One for the Money by Janet Evanovich. I thought it was a great read; Stephanie Plum is terrific and so real with all her fumbling and mistakes.

I'm now moving onto Two for the Dough. I don't have any others in the series though, so I'll have to start tracking them down. :lol:

I am almost finished 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame~Smith, apart from the obivious zombie changes, its a good read, very funny :lol:

Not made a lot of progress with 'Untamed', I am planning to start 'Oryx and Crake' by Margaret Atwood soon, I have read it before but I want to remind myself of a few things before the sequel, 'The Year of the Flood' arrives. :D

Edited by Weave

Back from my holiday and did not manage to get much reading. But i did manage to finish Darkly dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. It took longer than normal due to being away on a family holiday and not really having the chance to read while I was away. The only time I was able to read more than two pages was when my tyre got a flat on the M25 and I had to wait for the RAC man behind the crash barrier.

I am now reading Genisis by Karin Slaughter. This book has a lot to live up to. I have high expectations and wants. So lets hope it lives up to it.

I might have strayed into Foyle's yesterday where a rather handsome cloth-bound Virago edition of Helene Hanff's "84 Charing Cross Road" (actually on my wishlist, go me!) fell into my hands... :lol:.

Whooo hooo!

Well done Bookjumper!

I started No Humans Involved last night in bed. I only meant to read for ten mins cause I was so tired but ended up reading over 100 pages! I just kept saying to myself 'Just one more chapter,' needless to say, just one led into just another one :lol:

I started No Humans Involved last night in bed. I only meant to read for ten mins cause I was so tired but ended up reading over 100 pages! I just kept saying to myself 'Just one more chapter,' needless to say, just one led into just another one :lol:

Sounds like a good book Charm.

It's great catwoman :D Kelley Armstrong would have to be one of my favourite authors now ... mind you, I have quite a few :D

:tong:. have a book that I picked up at the library. There is a table of books each week recommended by the Librarians. The book is called Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrision. It has been given a real postive review by Kelley Armstrong so it might be down your road if you have not read it yet. :lol:

I have a couple boos to read before hand but I will review when I have read it.

CW

:D. have a book that I picked up at the library. There is a table of books each week recommended by the Librarians. The book is called Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrision. It has been given a real postive review by Kelley Armstrong so it might be down your road if you have not read it yet. :blush:CW

Oooh sounds good :tong: I look forward to reading what you think of it :lol:

Guest velocipede2288

I recently discovered Martina Cole. Terrrific crime writer. The three I have read have all been in the east end of London gangland. The last was, The Take.

I just finished Maggie O'Farrell's After You'd Gone and I'm moving right on to Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin.

Every year at this time my mojo goes flying out the window and doesn't return till January. I'm really hoping this doesn't happen this year. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. =)

I just finished Maggie O'Farrell's After You'd Gone and I'm moving right on to Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin.

Every year at this time my mojo goes flying out the window and doesn't return till January. I'm really hoping this doesn't happen this year. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. =)

Fingers and toes crossed for you Bookworm. :lol:

Last night I started Jay Asher - Thirteen Reasons Why, and couldn't put it down, so finished it as soon as I got up today, now I think I'm going to read L.J. Smith - Vampire Diaries: Vol 1

Loved those books when I read them a good 8 years ago! I must re-read them sometime in the future. I hope you enjoy them!

I read some random short stories by Charles Bukowski last night also some more Wuthering Heights. I have been focusing on Kakfa on the Shore today though, it is so good! :lol:

Read a couple of hundred pages today of Inkdeath, probably more.. I'm on page 450 now. It's getting dead good and I'm sure I'll zoom through the last 250 pages or so! :lol:

I finished The puzzle ring today - lovely little book and it makes me want to pick up more of Kate Forsyth's books.

I was also surprised with all 7 Harry Potter books in a hard cover box set by my little sister. I've been wanting to get it for ages but she went and got it for me 'just because' I'm very lucky.:lol: