Managing Your TBR Pile?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also choose randomly. I would like to read books I've had longer but often I'll read a book I only bought recently. Basically, as long as I'm getting through the pile, I don't care what order I read in! :P

If my TBR pile includes library books I`ll read them first, the others I choose what I fancy at the time but I must confess it`s often a case of last in first read! for no particular reason. :P

... but I must confess it`s often a case of last in first read! for no particular reason. :P

I'm exactly the same - I'm mostly just dying to get through the book haul I got for Xmas as I desperately wanted to get hold of all of them!

I have so many books on my TBR pile - pretty much a whole roomful of them (I'm not joking!) and I just keep adding to that pile. I think for me, buying books is almost as compulsive as reading them - although obviously it's a lot quicker to buy a book than it is to read one. I think I need to make some strict (!) rules about only buying books when I have read one or two... Otherwise, we will need to move house shortly to accommodate my collection.

As for how I pick, I am quite random, but like others, I think ones that have been purchased more recently tend to get read before older books - unless it's something following a really good review I've just read, or film I've just seen, in which case it might just get promoted further up the pile.

I try and vary it. If I've read a couple of simple novels, I'll read one of the heavier, non-fiction, books. If I've been stuck on the same book for 2 months, I'll go for the shortest of fluffiest. I'll try never to read the same book twice. And I'll try and deplete the stockpile down to zero, but at some point, inevitably, fail miserably and buy more. Usually when there are 4 or 5 books there, which feels like an OK cut-off point. The trouble being that it's always the same 4 or 5 books that never get read...

I don't have a TBR pile! :P

When I want to read a new book I just pick something randomly of my bookshelf.. usually something I haven't read, or a lot of the time a re-read of something.

I go through the titles once and take the one that attracts me most at that moment. Or, like now, once I'm done with the current two I'm reading I'll read a book I borrowed from my best friend so I can return it. Usually though it's a very random choice.

I also tend to read the backs and pick according to my mood.. Alot of times, I go for a book thats in a different genre than the book I just read most recently. I like to break it up a little bit most of the time.

I try and vary old and new books. If I've read a couple of recent books then I'll try and pick an older one next. Similarly if I've read a couple of older books then I'll 'reward' myself with one of my newer ones that I'm just that bit more excited about.

I'll go for the shortest of fluffiest.

I never had you down as a reader of fluffy books :P

If my TBR pile includes library books I`ll read them first, the others I choose what I fancy at the time but I must confess it`s often a case of last in first read! for no particular reason. :lol:

That's what I do - clear the library pile, then choose my own. I don't always use up a Xmas or birthday stash first. I have a ritual in which I read one first, then space out the pleasure of presents over a period of a couple of months. Right now I am reading one from my birthday in October! I also try to rotate genres so that I don't get bored, mainly following whatever takes my fancy or mood :blush:

Like a lot of you, I have an enormous TBR pile (which keeps growing because I can't stop buying books!) so I just pick one depending on my mood. I usually start thinking about my next book when I'm finishing up my current book.