TBR books that you are putting off reading ???

crotalus_p

I've been putting off the Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles for a good long while, along with The Mists of Avalon by Mario Zimmer Bradley, La Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory, and Dragonwyck by Anya Seton. I might be tackling some of these after I feed from some more vamp series books.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been putting off reading Helen of Troy by Margaret George for a good while now. It looks like a really good book, but it's so long and the font is tiny.

There's Emma by Jane Austen as well. I've read the rest and loved them all, but this one just doesn't look as good so I've been avoiding it a bit.

Freewheeling Andy loves Cloud Atlas. If in doubt, I'm sure he can nudge you towards reading it a little more. :lol:

I liked it OK but was a little disappointed because I'd read so many good reviews about it beforehand. I liked some parts more than others, but I'd definitely recommend you read it.

thanks Kylie... I will have to read it! It seems to have such mixed reviews...if only it wasn't so long!! :lol:

I've been putting off reading Helen of Troy by Margaret George for a good while now. It looks like a really good book, but it's so long and the font is tiny.

There's Emma by Jane Austen as well. I've read the rest and loved them all, but this one just doesn't look as good so I've been avoiding it a bit.

I keep meaning to read Helen of Troy myself, but 'til I just saw you mention it here, I had almost forgotten I even had the book since it's so far tucked away in my bookshelf :lol:.

And Emma is not too bad a read, but I would not say that it's one of the best by Austen. I much preferred Price and Prejudice and Persuasion.

• 9 months later...
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke

800 page book, bought it a few years ago, still can't find the enthusiasm to read it yet.

:D ..... this book weighs a ton! A new version has come out that is much lighter, and I'm tempted to buy it.

Also: 'Beyond Black'~Hilary Mantel and 'The Voyage Out'~Virginia Woolf

No, I haven't seen that, KYLIE, but I'll sure look for it. THANKS for telling me! :D

I really liked this book!!--what I've read of it so far, and would love to get into it again!

By the way, what did you think of all the footnotes?

I couldn't help laughing just a little, especially when at times they cover more than half the page! But to me, it shows the author must have really loved writing this book to go so deeply into all the background info on the history/characters.

Do you know if her second book is a sequel, or not? It's much more 'managable' in size, I've noticed, but haven't bought it yet.

Mervyn Peakese- Gormanghast

James Frey- A Million Little Pieces

Bram Stoker- Dracula

Julian Barnes- Arthur and George

Jane Austen- Northanger Abbey

Have all been on my list for about a year (and before that A million little pieces was on my wishlist for about 2 years). Most of them have been lent to me and that tends to make me get to them slower (unless I need to give them back quickly) because I didn't choose them. I keep meaning to read Dracula but when I think to read it I'm in the middle of something else, then by the time I've finished that I don't want to read it anymore

I have one or two classics sitting on my shelf gathering dust. I'm just a little apprenhensive about them, since I haven't found a very intriguing classic, yet and I'm expecting to be somewhat disappointed again.

No, I haven't seen that, KYLIE, but I'll sure look for it. THANKS for telling me! :smile2:

I really liked this book!!--what I've read of it so far, and would love to get into it again!

By the way, what did you think of all the footnotes?

I couldn't help laughing just a little, especially when at times they cover more than half the page! But to me, it shows the author must have really loved writing this book to go so deeply into all the background info on the history/characters.

Do you know if her second book is a sequel, or not? It's much more 'managable' in size, I've noticed, but haven't bought it yet.

You're welcome. :lol:

I can't remember much about the footnotes, but I do remember they were very long! I enjoyed the book as a whole and was amazed at the detail of the world Clarke had created.

I have The Ladies of Grace Adieu sitting on my TBR pile but I haven't read it yet. My understanding is that (at least some of) the stories are related to the original, containing the same characters at least, but it is not a sequel as such. I think Gyre has read it so she may be able to shed more light on it.

I have one or two classics sitting on my shelf gathering dust. I'm just a little apprenhensive about them, since I haven't found a very intriguing classic, yet and I'm expecting to be somewhat disappointed again.

Intriguing classic, heh? hmmm......

The ones that come to mind for me are:

Madame Bovary~ Gustave Flaubert

Cousin Bette~ Honore de Balzac

Nana~ Emile Zola

The Three Musketeers~ Alexandre Dumas

(This one is actually quite funny! It's about the only classic that made me laugh out loud.)

By the way, which are the ones on your shelf?

• 1 month later...

Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman. I liked the TV series, but have tried reading the book, got it as a present.. and could just manage a little bit. Have been meaning to pick it up for ages already.. it's just.. I don't know. Just where you get the idea that you don't care to read it anymore. I will probably, because I was given it as a gift, but still. :lol:

1984 by George Orwell. I had to read this for my ALevels and I hated it (I think it was partly due to the fact that I hated my teacher and I was forced to read it). I decided to give it another go, a fair chance, but I just can't bring myself to pick it up. All the bad memories of analysing parts and being made to read out loud in class just come flooding back :lol:

^I had the same with Brave New World, seriously, I had to read it for high school english, and thought it was boring, so much that when I was tested on it I could barely remember the plot. :lol:

Read it again recently, after many years of contemplating it.. and loved it.

Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman. I liked the TV series, but have tried reading the book, got it as a present.. and could just manage a little bit. Have been meaning to pick it up for ages already.. it's just.. I don't know. Just where you get the idea that you don't care to read it anymore. I will probably, because I was given it as a gift, but still. :lol:

That's one of my favourite Gaiman books. ;) I loved the series too and the book expands on it a bit, but if you love the series, I think you'll enjoy the book as it was written from the series and not the other way around. :roll:

I know, but thing for me is, what I like in films and series, I don't always like in books. For instance I love sci-fi on tv, but in books, not so much.

Am sure I will enjoy it when I read it at one point tho, but just can't really gt myself to do it though, not when I have so many other nifty books laying around waiting to be read.:lol:

I'm having a job starting anything on my TBR pile right now. It is through a small problem called "Library". Every time I go in usually taking stuff back for my husband as he can't get there during proper hours, I have to have a nose round and invariably take books out. I then of course have to take them back but I can't just walk out. I need to finish my two recent library books before end Jan and then I can hopefully start on my TBR pile.

There are books that unfortunately keep going down to the bottom of the pile:

Suite Francaise - I don't know why it should as I really want to read it.

Count of Monte Cristo - this is simply because of the size of the book and I need a good clear spell of reading time to do it justice (not just 5 mins here and there).

The Red Tent - this book has been on my TBR pile for a few years and still I put it to the bottom. It may be I'll not get round to reading it - unless someone tells me I really should:)

I have 'The Red Tent' on my TBR pile. We are talking the Anita Diamant novel, aren't we?

I know Inver has read it, and I bought my copy having read her review / comments on it. I think it might be worth helping this climb your TBR list, I will too ~ we may be delighted! :lol:

I have 'The Red Tent' on my TBR pile. We are talking the Anita Diamant novel, aren't we?

I know Inver has read it, and I bought my copy having read her review / comments on it. I think it might be worth helping this climb your TBR list, I will too ~ we may be delighted! :lol:

Yes, that's the book Chrissy. I did start it a couple of years' ago and perhaps wasn't in the right mood but I'm willing to give it a go and maybe make it my surprise read of the year. I'd love to know what Inver made of it. Thanks.;)

Count of Monte Cristo - this is simply because of the size of the book and I need a good clear spell of reading time to do it justice (not just 5 mins here and there).

I have this book as well and have been putting it off for exactly the same reason! :lol:

Oh, also...

Mansfield Park, Emma, Persuasion and Northanger Abbey. For the reason that I bought all the 6 Austen novels in one volume. I started with Pride and Prejudice and loved it, then went on to Sense and Sensibility and found it really dull, so it's put me off trying the others a bit. I thought I'd give Austen a bit of a rest and go back to her later.