TBR books that you are putting off reading ???

crotalus_p

Count of Monte Cristo - this is simply because of the size of the book and I need a good clear spell of reading time to do it justice (not just 5 mins here and there).

I have this book as well and have been putting it off for exactly the same reason! :D

Start it now! Start it now! Once you get into it you won't want to put it down. It's wonderful.

My ex borrowed my copy to read. He's really enjoying it too.

But I know what you mean about tackling big books. I'll be starting Gone with the Wind soon. *gulp*

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I know what you mean about tackling big books. I'll be starting Gone with the Wind soon. *gulp*

:D I've read GWTW so many times I've lost count, started when I was about 12 or 13 I think. Age perspective is a funny thing though. At that age, it was a vastly different book to the last time I reread it...last year I think.

I've got too many books I'm putting off reading to list. Not that I'm consciously putting them off, I just buy more at a Library Sale, or see them reviewed on a book forum, :lol:, and pile more on top of the stack. :)

Pale Fire by Nabokov is one I've procrastinated although I've started it a couple of times and put it aside. The Count of Monte Cristo, War and Peace, A Dance to the Music of Time [series], Casanova's History of My Life [12 volumes]. /sigh/ It's a long list.

Pale Fire by Nabokov is one I've procrastinated although I've started it a couple of times and put it aside.

This is one that I've also been putting off reading. It's a shame because it looks so interesting, but knowing Nabokov it won't be an easy read, and as much as I love his writing, I will have to be in the mood to tackle it.

Cell - Stephen King, just because i have heard his newer stuff isn't as good.

I thought Cell was actually one of his good newer titles, certainly wasn't as awful as Lisey's Story - read it!

I put off Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell since last year because it's so long I thought it would be a rather large commitment, but I've finally taken the plunge! :console:

It's probably my favourite book from my reading list last year .. infact I cheated and didn't read it but listened to the unabridged version of it from Audible (all 32 hours of it) ... absolutely fantastic!

I'm making up for it now and actually reading 'the Ladies of Grace Adieu' .. a short story collection by Susanna Clarke and featuring some of the same characters from 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell'.

The book I'm avoiding is 'Best Served Cold' by Joe Abercrombie.

I loved Joe's 'First Law' trilogy and so did my OH, as soon as we saw Joe had a new book out we bought it .. even though it was in hardback and a great big tome. My OH read it and thought it not up to par with the others and Amazon reviewers think the same by and large, so the enthusiasm to start it has been severely dented.

I'm never put off reading a book because of length, but if a book has a certain reputation (umm... okay, add in any Umberto Eco book you care to mention, or the non-populist science books) then I think that they'll end up going completely over my head. I have gotten around to some of the biggies, but there are others which still seem so intimidating that I doubt I'll ever pluck up the courage to try them. It isn't necessarilly that I won't understand them, it's merely the thought that they might be too smart by half. Completely illogical, I know, but I refuse to be made to feel stupid by a book when I have the option of saying "I'll get around to reading it".

There are many books that I keep putting off for various reasons. I keep putting off The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, The Suspicions of Mr Whicher by Kate Summerscale, and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro because they all seem a bit boring. I've read reviews that say that they're excellent books, but I just get the impression that I'll be asleep before I get past the first chapter.

I've also been putting off Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke because it's such a big book. I do most of my reading on the bus, on the train or at school, so lugging around such a large volume is impractical. I'll read it eventually. Maybe.

Nollaig, I don't think you'll regret it :blush: Will be interested to hear your thoughts on it after you've read it!

I don't think I will either once I can keep going with it - it seems fantastic.

I cheated and didn't read it but listened to the unabridged version of it from Audible (all 32 hours of it) ... absolutely fantastic!

I'm making up for it now and actually reading 'the Ladies of Grace Adieu' .. a short story collection by Susanna Clarke and featuring some of the same characters from 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell'.

32 hours?! :console: I must put that short story collection on my TBR - I've never heard of it before!

I'm never put off reading a book because of length

What worries me is not finishing it due to lack of time or picking up something else - once I stop a book I've started, I find it very hard to ever go back to it.