#41 lexiepiper

lexiepiper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,227 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:41 PM

I saw today that The Book People have all 13 books in hardback for 20 which seems a great offer

#42 Katrina1968

Katrina1968

Mega Bibliophile

• Advanced Member
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

How much is that in American dollars?

#43 lexiepiper

lexiepiper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,227 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

With postage I think it'd be around $40 at a guess

#44 Susanne

Susanne

Avid Reader

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMorecambe

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:12 PM

My two eldest and I have read the first six or so and I have to say that they enjoyed them more than I did. Although they are well written and certainly different from other children books, for me they were slightly too repetitive. However, I did enjoy them enough to probably pick the next one up in the series at some point or another.

#45 MarvellousMedicine

MarvellousMedicine

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:01 AM

I read all thirteen books as well, and I did enjoy the first half of the series a lot, but felt that the last six or seven books got a bit repetitive, and also predictable.

Funnily enough... I felt the opposite. I felt that the books worked best in the first half of the series precisely because they were repetitive. There was quite a nice formula (e.g., the kids arrive with a new colourful foster parent; Count Olaf turns up in a ridiculous disguise that the adults seem strangely blind to; and so on). In those books, the fun for me was down to the humour and colourful character descriptions rather than any innovation in the plots, and the "disguise of the week" format was part of the charm.

I don't like those sketch shows where the characters do the same thing every single time in slightly different ways... but... I imagine that people who do like them, probably like them in the same way that I liked the early Snickett books (if that makes any sense at all!).

Once the books moved away from the new location/new foster parent/new disguise for Count Olaf format, I felt they just seemed less tightly-written, less colourful, less memorable. They just went a bit flabby without the tried and tested framework behind them. Sets like the Slippery Slope and characters like the man with a beard but no hair and the woman with hair and no beard, just seemed to lack the fizz and colour of the Miserable Mill or Uncle Monty.

Anyway, I still enjoyed the series right to the end but definitely noted a downwards trend...

#46 iguana

iguana

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Reading now?:Famous Five book no. 5 Five Go Off In A Caravan
  • LocationMalta (Xemxija)

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

I read the first 8 and read about 70% of the 9th and I liked them a lot. The thing I like most is the author, he wants to make the reader believe that he doesn't want him to read it but obviously the more people who read the book the more popular his books become.

#47 iguana

iguana

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Reading now?:Famous Five book no. 5 Five Go Off In A Caravan
  • LocationMalta (Xemxija)

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

After seeing the film I have considered getting them, but haven't as of yet :wink:

I read nine and a half and I liked them a lot so I think it would be a wise decision to read them. :wink:

#48 Christian Friborg

Christian Friborg

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

I suggest you read the Series of Unfortunate Events. It's a good read! And you'll love the characters, too.

#49 delaila

delaila

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

Amongst my childhood favourites!

#50 Sacred

Sacred

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

I would def recommend buying the books!!!! I LOVED them. I read them when I was younger and I remember being drawn to the book by the author's writing style. I read the back of book and first few pages and was intrigued. I'm glad I bought it in the end... Watched the films as well but preferred books :)

#51 jordn0007

jordn0007

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

Many timres i have seen its movie and still now studying the book also for Series of the Unfortunate Events ..

Last time when i was in a book store , i have seen its audio book also for the this..

it amezing really i have it..

#52 jordn0007

jordn0007

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:33 AM

i really need to shear my audio books..
its really amazing and its too time safe ...
and today i am studuing this book on [url='http://www.thehouseofoojah.com/ccp0-prodshow/6kq-the-bad-beginning-audiobook14.html']bad[/url] by just lisning lemony snicket Series of the Unfortunate Events....
really good book try this

#53 EleanorT

EleanorT

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

I picked the first one of these at the library today and just read random passages, for no particular reason... Brought back many nice memories, I love these books

#54 Pearl

Pearl

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

I would def recommend buying the books!!!! I LOVED them. I read them when I was younger and I remember being drawn to the book by the author's writing style. I read the back of book and first few pages and was intrigued. I'm glad I bought it in the end... Watched the films as well but preferred books :)

Sacred, you mention films? Were they any good? I didn't know they had been made into films :blush:

#55 AnGee

AnGee

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

I started reading these books when I was a child, and I really love them! In France the serie is simply called Les Orphelins Baudelaire. I remember going to the library to read them again and again ^^. When I went to England last year, I found all the books at a very loooow price in a bookshop, so I bought them all.... My suitcase was heavy after that ^^. But I definitely recommend these books.

#56 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,464 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

I recently bought one book of the series, look forward to see if I like it.

Edited by Athena, 10 September 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#57 Berenice

Berenice

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Reading now?:Wuthering Heights
  • LocationAthens

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

Lemony Snicket's a series of unfortunate events, was actually the first series I've ever read! I still find them fantastic, with all of their twisted and morose characters, macabre locations and terrible organizations, but as I said it was my first series so my opinion may be biased.  

#58 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

I didn't hear about these books until a few years ago. The kids and I really enjoyed them. We even listened to them on audio while traveling. I think I might need to revisit them!

#59 J. A. Haag

J. A. Haag

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Reading now?:Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:05 AM

I read the entire series and I have to admit that I preferred the earlier ones. It took me a few tries over the years to finish all of the books and when I did I was unsatisfied. The ending was nowhere near what it should have been. So many questions were left unanswered. I'm not saying that you shouldn't read this, but get into it knowing that you won't be completely satisfied when you finish. I know that there are other books and additions that Snicket has written that might be able to answer some questions but I'm not convinced that it's worth it at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users