Worst ever film from a book?

kateleopald

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I also thought the film of Pride and Prejudice was poor. The whole Bennet family seemed way off for me, and D'arcy was just immature and moody.

Also thought the Da Vinci Code was poor, no chemistry whatever between Tom Hanks and Sophie Marceau but then I thought the book was pretty bad too. Much preferred Angels and Demons and I believe the film is coming out soon with Hanks as Langdon again.

Not so much a film adaptation but the TV adaptation of 39 Steps which was on over Christmas was just a joke - but that has been discussed on another thread.

I suppose if they can say in the credits that the film is "based on the book ....." then they can get away with murder.

I agree, Radcliffe seems so wooden and sometimes annoying. I've always thought the rest of the cast are absolutely brilliant.

I think they are great in themselves, but when you think about what they are trying to represent, it's extremely difficult, so i think they've done a great job. It's done a lot to get people interested in reading more though, which can only be a good thing. I thought the first film was fantastic, but started to get irritated as to what was left out or how some things were portrayed as the series has gone on. Since 'Goblet of Fire' i haven't really been interested in seeing the films.

In the books to made for tv movie category, the absolute worst has got to be Stephen King's Lawnmower Man. The people who made the movie must have read a different short story than what I read, because the only thing that is remotely the same is the titles!

I do like the films, but have heard Half-Blood Prince has virtually none of the book in it and loads of random scenes that have been made up, so that's a shame, I don't see why they can't just keep with the original storyline, otherwise what's the point in saying it's based on the book? :S

Get out!

:D

Eragon -Christaphor Paloni

Fortunately, someone mentioned it :yes:. Also, did anybody else find the 1939 adaptation of Wuthering Heights bad? If felt like I was watching some other story :).

The Harry Potter films.......hmmm......the first two were good, I wouldn't exactly call the others bad, but they could have been better :)

There are many, I see, that didn't like P&P.Why?:(Although I haven't read the book yet, I adored the film

Edited by Dimitra
forgot to mention something

oh I had blocked Chocolat out! I adore the book, the film not so much. I heard Captain Correli's Mandolin is a bad adaptation too, it's one of my favourite books but I've never seen the film

I haven't read Chocolat, but loved the film & hated both the book & the movie version of Captain Correli, but the book was marginally better.

The main point of Chocolat was that

Vianne set up her chocolate shop just before the start of Lent - in largely Catholic France, so the conflict was between her and the priest/church.

However, in the film, they made the priest an absolute wuss and the central character the town mayor, which kind of lost the whole religious conflict element. Pointless and stupid.

Also, Pantoufle was a rabbit - yet in the film they made him a kangaroo. Why?! :)

I hate it so much! :yes:

Edited by Janet

I quite enjoyed the Chocolat film, but I haven't read the book yet, it's on my TBR, but yeah I hate it when they change silly little things too, so unnecessary

Oh gosh, sorry. I'll edit my post so I don't spoil the book for anyone else.

Sorry Lexi. :yes:

I really loved the film Chocolat! I wonder if I'd feel the same if I'd read the book first? I started the book some time a go (after having seen the film) and I actually didn't like it as much as the film). Didn't finish it for some reason or another, but I've left in on my TBR.

In the books to made for tv movie category, the absolute worst has got to be Stephen King's Lawnmower Man. The people who made the movie must have read a different short story than what I read, because the only thing that is remotely the same is the titles!

I saw that film when i was really young, i found it hilarious :yes:

Oh it's fine! :) I didn't feel anything you said spoiled anything :D :friends0:I'm quite looking forward to reading the book, must get around to it soon!

You should make sure you don't have too much chocolate in the house for, I was constantly craving chocolate the whole way through :yes: