What do you stubbornly refuse to read, and why?

I absolutely refuse to read chick-lit. As a teenager I read a lot of Danielle Steele just for something to read and chill out to during my studies, but I wouldn't touch her now with a barge pole. These books, I think, are for people of limited reading ability and limited imagination. For people who can not go beyond what is typed on the page to what the author may be suggesting through metaphors,similies etc. I lose patience with such books very quickly indeed!:lol:

:lol: Well thats unfair, my Nan loves Danielle Steele books and I object to the inference that my Nan is "limited" How very dare you :D

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chick-Lit Mafia are sharpening their poking sticks as we speak! :lol:

*pulls on her running shoes and gets the hell out of Dodge*

You do all realise that was a joke, right? :lol:

I'm no chick-lit mafia - I seldom read that genre and I'm sure we realise it was a joke, but at the same time, coming onto a book forum and saying people who read a certain genre have a limited brain capacity is a very inflammatory, and pretty offensive, thing to say.

I would never dream of judging someone on what they read and I hope I wouldn't be judged similarly.

Oi Prospero I thought you were keeping out of it ? :lol: I think its hugely insulting to post an opinion like that. Although I agree everyone is entitled to an opinion - some should be kept to oneself. My Nan is 90 this year and she has not had it easy. Reading has been her escape and to say that her choice of author shows her limitations is cobblers. She like those books because they offer her an alternative to her own life. A bit of glitz, I suppose. I am not a huge chick lit fan - although I dont dislike the genre. Its just not too everyones taste is all. I wouldn't dream of accusing the hoards of chick lit fans of being simple because they like those books. I think Kitty is mistaken in her opinion, and should remember not to generalise so quickly in the future. Rant Over, thank you and goodnight :lol:

• 3 months later...

I'm with Tiresias on the self-help. There are myriad reasons, for me. Even if the book itself turns out to be good, so many self-help books offer "quick and easy solutions" to people desperate for the effortless life, when in fact the solution is to just work hard. It's an equivalent, too often, of the miracle diet.

How to find love in 3 easy steps

How to become insanely rich, the easy way

Your life is a mess, but I can make it better by pointing you at god/mammon/the teachings of my guru

etc.

The shallowness of the approach means that it both gives people hope that there are simple solutions to difficult problems; it also suggests that the shallow desire for wealth/love etc, is itself a wonder-goal.

And, frankly, the titles, the kinds of places you find these books, the pictures of the authors, the fact that they're always being pushed on daytime TV, and so on, tells me that I'm not the audience for these books; but also the audience for these books is absolutely not the kind who need to be told there's a nice, simple, clean way of improving things, the lazy way.

They've been mentioned here before, but if I was stuck on a desert island with just a bunch of autobiographies, some self-help books and soppy romance novels, I would probably use them to fuel the flames of my signal fire rather than read them.

I don't think all self help books do say achieve x in 3 easy steps. A lot of them say, this is hard work, you need to stick at it.

I'm sure they don't. But so many do (at least on the surface, in terms of the titles) that in my mind the whole genre has become tarred by the same brush, and the whole genre has become innately damaging.

Hi,

I agree with Tambo on this one. Although if it was a Georgette Heyer novel then I might allow a bit of historical romance to slip past!! I also have to admit to owning the biography of Boris Johnson... sorry guys... I was just curious!

Heather :lol:

I definitely avoid the self- help section, Danielle Steele and really gory, violent books--self help books just seem to me make someone else rich, Daniell Steele is repetitive and I'm just not a fan of gory bloody books

After reading one Sheila Quigley book, I will never ever make that mistake in future! I also avoid misery memoirs. I find them all very similar, and as distressing as the experiences surely must have been to the authors, I just don't get anything out of reading them.

After reading one Sheila Quigley book, I will never ever make that mistake in future! I also avoid misery memoirs. I find them all very similar, and as distressing as the experiences surely must have been to the authors, I just don't get anything out of reading them.

I agree with Ruth especially the books that include child abuse. They are just too distressing and yet I know alot of people like this type of fiction.