Lending or borrowing books.

Guest Tiresias

I love this question and am delighted to know that there are others who feel the same way. My books are rather cherished and nobody will treat them as well as I do. I am done with lending out my little treasures to find the pages 'dog-eared', stained with beverage rings from being used as coasters and having the bindings cracked.

Also, any lending I do is now via e-readers as I love the feature of when you lend out a book, it returns to you in 14 days!!! Hurrah!!! No more missing books or ruined books!!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never ever lend books. I know it makes me seem like such a pain some times but honestly, I can't do it.

Partially because I frequently go to my books and manga for inspiration, skimming through them for something that will inspire me, or make me burn with a new idea or feeling. With that, it means I can't ever have one book missing from my shelf, most certainly those that are part of a series.

Also, I don't know what kind of reader I would be lending to; I don't like doggie-earing readers, or spine-breakers, or even finger-lickers! It breaks my heart seeing books, especially if they were my own, being treated like that.

I will only ever lend books to my mum! Luckily I have never been asked by friends as none of them read books, I don't think I could trust them to return the book in good condition anyway, so them not asking makes it easier for me :)

As most of the books I own are non fiction I'm hardly ever asked to lend them. I'd only lend to my dad and one friend who I know would give them back in good condition. I'd never lend to my sister. She doesn't return anything she borrows; lent her an expensive tape recorder once and she denies she even borrowed it. :angry:

I always make a list of people I lend books to. There are people who cannot borrow from me and they know it. I am very careful nowadays because I have lost so many great titles. I lend them to my mom and dad because they are careful with them. Sometimes I borrow from others but I always make sure to give them back in a reasonable time.