Who is your favorite detective/crime fighter?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I read the first book in the Stephanie Plum series I thought "how crude" but funny, too! But when the second one came out, I read it and by then I was hooked. Think they are getting a little stale but......I keep on reading!

I met Janet Evanovich at a book signing one time and she's as funny in person as her books!

Grammyva

Edited by grammyva

My favourite is definitely Salvo Montalbano, in the series by Andrea Camilleri. The books are set in Sicily, and are full of quirky characters. Montalbano is a promotion avoiding inspector; he's grumpy with a sour taste of humour, and loves good food and wine. He's a very moral man, although some of his methods are a bit unorthodox. Anyway, I discovered the series earlier this year, and love the ones I have read so far. The thing about Montalbano is that he is the kind of guy I know I shouldn't really like, but I can't help thinking he's great. He's very funny too!

Some of the more obscure 'Golden Age' detectives are entertaining. Max Carrados, (Ernest Bramagh) for example, who is blind but seemingly omniscient, and John Dickson Carr's characters Dr Fell and Sir Henry Merrivale. I also like Nigel Strangeways - created by Cecil Day-Lewis (writing as Nicholas Blake) and in his first outing based on the young W H Auden. My favourite of the classic ones, though, is Lord Peter Wimsey.

Of more recent ones, I am a recent Pendergast convert too.

• 3 weeks later...

John Rebus and Alan Banks without a doubt.

Hi,

Another Rebus fan here... and upset to hear that he is not going to be the lead character in any further Rankin novels. I love his cynicism which sadly wasn`t really portrayed in the television adaptations.

Heather :)

Hi Heather

I'm sad Rankin has "finished" his saga of Rebus too; but I've heard rumours of a sequel, and that Siobhan Clarke is taking over as the lead character.

I also read on Wikipedia that the Dramatizations this year have been axed because Ken Stott doesn't want to play the role of Rebus.

My favourite fictional detectives are Morse and Dalgliesh but I have just recently started to read some of Deborah Crombie's books and am liking her detective, Duncan Kincaid, too.

Definitely Morse, Green Fairy; I haven't read any Colin Dexter, but I did get some audio tapes from the library last Summer, narrated by the actor who plays Lewis.

They're so good - it sounds like Morse and everything.

You can watch an episode of Morse starring Sean Bean on Youtube. :)

we all are heather that there's going to be no more rebus novels!

Hi Scottishbookworm

You're a Rebus fan too, that's cool. :)

I remember reading Knots and Crosses when I was about fourteen, and I rented it out from the school library. My Nan got a bit, shall we say, worried about me reading his novels because I was fourteen and they were adult books.

Anyway, I sent an email to Ian Rankin asking what he thought. :) Lol.

He replied in his newsletter and said books are all part of growing up, and he read A Clockwork Orange when he was twelve!

Do you like books by Irvine Welsh? He's good too.

Edited by Maureen
Cons. posts

hiya petitephoto, I'm a huge fan of ian rankin especially the rebus novels, I've never e-mailed him but going to your question on irving welsh, I've never read any of his books it's mostly Tess Gerritsen books I read and also Jackie collins and marion Keyes that grace my book case.

I've never read any of irvine welsh's work!

Some of it is good; like the obvious - Trainspotting. :D

Scottishbookworm, have you got Sky Digitial? Rebus the TV series is going to be on all week, at 9pm/10pm! They also showed a documentry about Ian Rankin on Monday night. It might be repeated, so watch out for it. :blush:

Definitely Morse, Green Fairy; I haven't read any Colin Dexter, but I did get some audio tapes from the library last Summer, narrated by the actor who plays Lewis.

They're so good - it sounds like Morse and everything.

You can watch an episode of Morse starring Sean Bean on Youtube. :blush:

quote]

Thank you for that, Petitephoto, I will definitely pay a visit to Youtube. I love Sean Bean :D

For me, it's Rebus (Ian Rankin), but I also love Tempe Brennan (Kathy Reichs), Alex Delaware & Milo (Jonathan Kellerman), Alexandra Cooper & Mike & Mercer (Linda Fairstein) & Linclon Rhyme & Amelia (Jeffery Deaver)

• 3 weeks later...