The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett

Nici

World Without End is the follow up book, but it's not really a sequel, it is set about 200 years later. It can be read alone, so you don't need to read Pillars to enjoy it. I read both books back to back, I really enjoyed both of them, but for me Pillars was the better of the two.

Pillars 10/10

WWE 8/10

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read The Pillars Of The Earth awhile back and really enjoyed it. I'm almost done with World Without End which is also good but it's not capturing me like Pillars did

• 1 year later...

My sister passed this book on to me & i was a bit dubious at first as Ken Follet isn't an author i'd usually go for but i couldn't put it down & found when i wasn't reading it i was thinking about it all the time. I would definitely put Pillars of the Earth & it's sequel World without End in my top ten.

I was given this book by the woman who lives opposite to me, and wasn't really expecting to like it. I loved it! Can't speak for the historical accuracy, as history isn't my strong point at all, but it certainly is a good read.

And if there are any Heroes fans here, we now all know that "Pillars" is Sylar's favourite book too, so don't critise or he may come and get ya!

I'd agree that World without end isn't as good, but I think Pillars does set the bar pretty high - I'd put it into my top 10.

Ian

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've just seen on another thread that Pillars has been made into an 8 part TV series which will be shown on Channel 4 later this year. It's got a good cast, ie Ian McShane and Donald Sutherland. Can't wait!!:D

SueK, thank you, thank you, thank you. I don't have Starz but do have Encore and it is starting in ten days. I am ready :D

I'm pleased you will be able to see it. Do let us know what you think of it - then we will be ready for it over here:D

• 3 weeks later...

I read this last week and thoroughly enjoyed it, a real page turner. I totally agree with the earlier comments about the historical accuracy (or, rather, lack thereof) but my real issue with it was that I thought it overstayed its welcome by two or three hundred pages and - without going into spoiler territory - became just a bit too repetitive. Still, as a Steven Erikson fan I don't think I have the right to complain about another author being self-indulgent :lol:

As I say, I did enjoy it. I won't be rushing out to get the sequel, though.

• 2 months later...

I gave up on this book; I overlooked the often poor writing, the stereotyped charecters, incongrous modern attitudes and a rape scene that read if it came out of a 70's men's magazine and I tried really hard not to be a historical pedant. So I made myself ignore a gently bought up girl going around with no shoes and slopping around with her father's men but when it got to the hut in the woods that had a little library of books (OK only 3, but 3 more than the average aristocratic household would have had) I had to say 'Enough!'

I love historical novels and there are many, many better ones out there.

I read this book earlier this year having seen it recommended and then at a 3 for 2 offer. Whilst I agree with many of the comments about historical accuracy (but as I'm no expert didn't really detract from my enjoyment) and also about the book's 'modern' feel. having said that, I enjoyed it.

I found this an undemanding read; you need to ignore the debate about historical accuracy because there is little. As above, some of the writing is not great. That said I enjoyed it; however I read it when recovering from flu; I may have been feverish!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've just started "Pillars" - and it's largely due to the fact that I like the T.V. version, so the jury is still out as to whether I'll stay the course.

Already though, I'm using the "Jack" of the T.V. version to focus on, instead of the "Jack" of K.F.'s imagination - as the carrot haired slack jawed virtual village idiot the author describes isn't very appealing to me! Call me shallow - but I prefer the auburn haired, pleasanter-featured T.V. Jack, by far. :D

Also - it's struck me already (only a few pages in) that making Jack (a gifted artist and stone mason) a halfwit, surely isn't true to life? Artists need a good sense of perspective and judgement, also balance and appreciation of form ... don't they?!

I won't pick too many nits though - as with any novel, I'm prepared to allow a bit of leeway regarding detail. After all, novels are for entertainment first, and accuracy second.

I may be some time in the reading though, as I'll dip into other books too, along the way.

Edited by Booknutt

I don't think Jack was a half wit he just lacked social skills because of his unconventional upbringing :)

Agreed. In my opinion, although I'm not a huge fan of the novel, I found the tv series very poor in comparison, mainly because of the changes they had to make to the characters to fit the format. I guess it comes down to which you did first: read the book or watched the mini-series, because either one will colour your view of the other, I think :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...