Bookmarks!

Michelle

I'm just as excited at seeing the bookmarks as I am the books! lol. I'm awaiting three books on the way from BD.

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, there are heaps, Frankie! They used to send bookmarks with artwork by different authors, which was great. But now there is a series of handy bookmarks. Don't feel patronised! I think they're awesome. I have ones with the periodic table of elements, conversions of clothing sizes, Apple and Windows computer shortcuts etc.

There's a list of the bookmarks at the BD's website. I think I have about half of them...maybe more (and quite a few duplicates).

Well I didn't really feel patronized. That was a joke, missy :giggle: Hehe! And I figured they must've done different kinds because I have a feeling that you've mentioned the BD bookmarks before, and in an appreciative tone and I don't think you would've sung such high praises over these alone.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look! :)

I've had (and lost) so many bookmarks over the years. I just use any old thing now - currently I'm using a ticket from a gig I went to last February, but only because I saw it lying around when I needed something to use as a bookmark. Although those bookmarks from BD look fab. I want them just for the sake of having them! :)

I never used to have many bookmarks at all, and I didn't mind because I didn't use them (I never dog-eared pages; I just tried to remember what page I was on). In the last few years I've suddenly acquired dozens of them, mostly from book fairs and the BD.

I should point out, though, that the BD doesn't send out bookmarks with every purchase - it's very random, which is great because it's a nice surprise when I open a package and see one. I try not to be disappointed if I don't receive one. :giggle2:

I'm using a very beautiful bookmark I got for Xmas at the moment. It's silver metal with stained glass, depicting little orange frogs on green lilypads, with the green reeds stretching up behind them and blue sky showing through between. It's topped with a pretty pruple satin ribbon. I got it for Xmas from my Auntie Lynn.

froggiebookmark.jpg

I also received a gorgeous stitched bookmark from a friend today. It's a traditional Hungarian folk pattern (she's Hungarian) and it's just stunning! She knows my tastes very well - I love monochrome geometric designs. :)

bookmarkfromagnes.jpg

I got my first BD freebie bookmark yesterday. Do they do different kinds? Mine was a very educational one, with inches vs centimeters and feet vs meters. At first I thought it was nice, then told Valtteri about it and he said 'awww, they are trying to educate you without you knowing it' and I felt patronized. Hmph!

:giggle:

Okay, I've learned my lesson and I take back what I said previously.

Just last night, I was reading Mistress Masham's Repose in bed and as I'm only familiar with the metrical system, I was utterly frustrated about not knowing about inches, something which I found was rather important to know when one reads this exact book. And what do you know? I was using my new BookDepo bookmark and it came to me: there's the centimeters to inches converter! Bloody hell! Imagine my epiphany and enjoyment, and how I loved it that I didn't have to get up and get a dictionary, in my cold wintery apartment. But could stay in bed and just take a look at my bookmark :D I kept staring at it quite gayly and appreciatively for a while!

Edited by frankie

Okay, I've learned my lesson and I take back what I said previously.

Just last night, I was reading Mistress Masham's Repose in bed and as I'm only familiar with the metrical system, I was utterly frustrated about not knowing about inches, something which I found was rather important to know when one reads this exact book. And what do you know? I was using my new BookDepo bookmark and it came to me: there's the centimeters to inches converter! Bloody hell! Imagine my epiphany and enjoyment, and how I loved it that I didn't have to get up and get a dictionary, in my cold wintery apartment. But could stay in bed and just take a look at my bookmark :D I kept staring at it quite gayly and appreciatively for a while!

Aww, great story, Frankie! :)

I like to use a proper bookmark and have several, but I usually find I haven't one to hand when I need it! My current read (Charles Dickens - a life) has a marker ribbon attached so the problem doesn't arise. I often simply use the dust jacket flap where there is one.

• 2 years later...

I thought it might be time to resurrect this thread. Anyone have any new bookmarks to share?

I've got quite a few of them (though some are in specific books on my shelves so those aren't in the photo), dating back to my childhood. I've got a few hand made ones, by myself or by friends (you might recognise the ones the lovely Devi made :friends0:, I'm currently using the one with the blue ocean with blue sky and the big wave).

I was trying to lay them out for a photo, but I don't think I can fit them into one (since the table space is half taken up by my laptop at the moment) :giggle2:. So this will have to do:

DSCN1909_cut_0.25.jpg

Though at another time, when I'm not using the table for anything else, I might lay them all out so just to see them. Most of the ones in the 'pile' are freebies from the library, our library released a new bookmark each week or month or such, and I collected all those that I remotely liked.

As for usage, at the moment I'm mainly using Devi's bookmarks for my books (but not always the same one), other than some other bookmarks I use for specific books (as mentioned above).

Do you have a favourite book mark Athena. I have few I seem to go back to using often and are rather worn.   I always choose another bookmark with a new read to try and give them all a turn... :giggle:

Bookmarks I have made in the past

27269_341587421359_2120000_n.jpg?oh=a579These two were for friends.

19840_256806646359_3902122_n.jpg?oh=1556This one was for a stitch-along-bookmark Kell did one here. I use this one quite often as it is nice and flat.

• 11 months later...

Where does everyone keep their bookmarks? (Besides inside the books ;) ) I've got quite a few now and keep them in a cardboard box. They're kept neat, but they're not exactly 'on display'. I think someone here (Devi?) keeps them in a lovely container.

Any ideas for how I can display mine? I tried Googling ideas but was frustrated by the number of sites referring to website bookmarks instead of 'real' bookmarks. Some genuine collector types seem to store theirs in plastic sleeves in binders, but they're still not on display as such.

The problem is that they're all different shapes and sizes. I have magnetic bookmarks of varying sizes, some with feathers, others with beads etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love bookmarks and usually buy one from wherever I visit, eg stately homes, they're all in my bedside drawer and each time I start a book I take the next bookmark from the front of the row, and the one I've just used goes to the back to wait it's next turn!