woolf woolf

Too Much Internet

One of my five resolutions for the new year is to only use the internet for one hour per day. I chose this because, for too many days since my school years, I lose myself in loading several different webpages in a nonstop consumption of media. I wondered if it was having an impact on my mental well-being, and after last night I think that's definitely the case. I've been saving the last two hours of the evening for some reading, writing or anything else that doesn't involve sitting in front of the computer. However, last night I fell into my old habit and, once I went to bed, I couldn't fall asleep as I was thinking too much about several different things. Not deep thoughts, but buzzwords in a sort of ethereal cloud, related to the news and videos I watched. I was even a bit anxious, because I couldn't turn off my thoughts and I couldn't conduct them to a conclusion.

I know that this constant need for new input is happening to other people my age, it's why me and so many of us grab the smartphone without reason. I wonder if a similar issue of anxiety, or inability to fall asleep, is happening to others.

I think it's quite well-documented now that too much web use, especially before bedtime, isn't very good, so you're wise to try to cut back.  I never try to be online later than 9.30, and I'm not on it very often in the evening anyway as I'm at a screen all day, but sometimes at the weekend if I check email etc in the evening I try to make sure it's not too late.

Good luck with your cutting back!

I definitely think other people suffer with that. As Madeline says, I think there have been studies to prove it recently.

I remember reading once (I can’t remember where, unfortunately), that while the news used to be something you’d see or hear at a particular time of the day, on tv or on the radio, we’re now constantly plugged into it. Add to that the fact that the overwhelming majority of what we see is negative (in part because dramatic and scary article titles are the ones that get the most clicks) and it’s unsurprising that it causes anxiety. 
I hope your resolution will help your sleeping and anxiety!