What's Up in December? - 2018

Athena

Can you believe it's December already?! Sometimes time seems to go by quick.

I'm enjoying a quiet day today, towards the weekend it will be busier (shopping and family time). Our Christmas tree is up and the house looks festive. Today it's 5 December, which is Sinterklaas in the Netherlands. We don't celebrate it anymore, but in honour of it I am planning on reading a Sinterklaas-themed children's book later.

What's up with you in December?

4 days off work for me starts today so I am planning to put up my Christmas decorations this weekend. I've also got loose plans to play some Chess online and do some painting. We've also got some guests coming over on Sunday for lunch so we have some cooking to do.

Also book, always also books :giggle2:

Hey y'all!

Its a cold, gray and rainy day and because it's such a day, I'm in my flannel pj's today. I got up, took my shower and put on a fresh pair. My favorite spot is fitted out with my books, writing paraphernalia, laptop and remote controls. I have movies waiting for us to watch either tonight or tomorrow. I absolutely LOVE my Firestick!!! No more sitting in a movie theater. We can watch all the newest movies from the comfort of our home! 

Hope you all have a great day!

Hi Virginia!!

I hope you have a wonderful (rest of the) weekend :)!

We're going to visit my brother and his partner/girlfriend later and see their new furniture (they've mostly finished doing the new house up). I also plan to phone with my sister today (we phone weekly).

17 hours ago, Virginia said:

Hey y'all!

Its a cold, gray and rainy day and because it's such a day, I'm in my flannel pj's today. I got up, took my shower and put on a fresh pair. My favorite spot is fitted out with my books, writing paraphernalia, laptop and remote controls. I have movies waiting for us to watch either tonight or tomorrow. I absolutely LOVE my Firestick!!! No more sitting in a movie theater. We can watch all the newest movies from the comfort of our home! 

Hope you all have a great day!

Sounds like a perfect day.

Good luck with your Christmas shopping!

I've signed up for a webinar (a seminar online) that's taking place tonight. During the day I will try to not get too tired, so I can hopefully follow the webinar tonight. It's on around my bedtime so I will try my best to concentrate and at least take notes. The webinar is meant for people with autism and how to get through the holidays with less input (how to not get overwhelmed and keep things not too tiring, I guess?). It's free, so if I don't like it I don't have to watch the whole thing, but it is live so if I decide to quit it I can't watch it again at a later time (or I would have, as the evening around my bedtime is usually the time of the day when I'm extremely tired). Fingers crossed it goes well, or at least well enough that I can hopefully follow what the lecturer is saying. I don't know if it will be useful for me personally, in my life, but who knows :).

10 hours ago, More reading time required said:

Hiya, happy December! How is everyone?

I've been a bit absent from both places recently, due to extreme busyness. So what's the done thing now?  Post a bit on the forum and a bit on FB? Or are people slowly gravitating back here? :)

Hi, nice to see you again :)!

I'm not sure what the 'done thing' would be, as far as I can tell it seems to be that some people are solely on BCF, some solely on FB, and some use both. Though the FB group hasn't been as active as when the forum was 'in stasis' (from what I have seen).

I'm doing okay. Somewhat stressed, but that is usually the case in December. Other than that though I'm okay :). How are you?

Things have been busy, busy as usual for me. Workwise we have a new cleaner starting on Monday, which is great news as there have been only 2 of us for almost 3 months now. The cleaner who currently works for me won the staff award for the second time yesterday, which was a great achievement and very well deserved. I like to think this is a reflection on me too as his manager. The clients are all looking forward to Christmas and I am looking forward too to some time off.

Coran and I spent the best part of last weekend visiting various A&E's as she had a problem with her eye. It got sorted out in the end and turned out not to be serious. It will be good then this weekend to spend some proper time together putting up our tree, writing Christmas cards and doing all those Christmas things that we should have done last weekend. 

I'm glad you and Coran are doing okay :). I hope you're having a nice weekend :).

Our heating system has been broken since a few days ago, so we're a bit cold. We have a small wood heater in the bakery, and we're keeping it on as much as we can. We normally need the heating system plus our wood heater, when it is this cold outside (it's been around freezing temperatures the past few days, it snowed last night but is thawing a bit right now). So, having solely our little wood heater, is not enough but I'm glad we can at least keep warm near the heater, if not in the other rooms of the house. I'm really hoping the heating system will be fixed soon. They have to order some parts for it, which they will do tomorrow. I don't know how long it will take for the parts to arrive, hopefully I'll know more tomorrow. :cold:.

I hope you managed to get the heater sorted out - it's warm for December, but not that warm!

I have three more days of work to go until Christmas and am now counting down the days. I will be in again on 27th and 28th to do some deep cleaning and then have another 4 days off before going back properly on January 2nd. I don't mind having to do those 2 days that much - hardly anyone else will be there so its a chance to do some deep cleaning and show the new guy how to use all the different machines. 

I'm also looking forward to the break, it's horrible getting up in the dark especially when it's raining (as it was this morning), only 3 more working days after today, I'm in the office on Xmas Eve and then off until Jan 2nd.

19 hours ago, Talisman said:

I hope you managed to get the heater sorted out - it's warm for December, but not that warm!

Thanks :)! The new parts haven't arrived yet, I'm really hoping they will arrive later today and that they can fix the heating system tomorrow.

19 hours ago, Talisman said:

I have three more days of work to go until Christmas and am now counting down the days. I will be in again on 27th and 28th to do some deep cleaning and then have another 4 days off before going back properly on January 2nd. I don't mind having to do those 2 days that much - hardly anyone else will be there so its a chance to do some deep cleaning and show the new guy how to use all the different machines. 

I hope you have a nice time on your break :). I wish you a wonderful Christmas time!

2 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I'm also looking forward to the break, it's horrible getting up in the dark especially when it's raining (as it was this morning), only 3 more working days after today, I'm in the office on Xmas Eve and then off until Jan 2nd.

I hope you have a nice time during your Christmas holidays :)!

27 minutes ago, Brian. said:

Hurt my neck and upper back so I’m pretty much unable to move around much. Only bonus is that it means I have an excuse to sit on the couch reading for the next few days.

I hope you feel better soon :(:flowers2:. I hope you have fun reading at least :).

Merry Christmas to you all. I hope everyone has been enjoying a lovely day. Ours has been quiet and cosy. 

Just saw this Brian, I hope you are feeling better. 

On 12/19/2018 at 11:38 AM, Brian. said:

Hurt my neck and upper back so I’m pretty much unable to move around much. Only bonus is that it means I have an excuse to sit on the couch reading for the next few days.

12 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Merry Christmas to you all. I hope everyone has been enjoying a lovely day. Ours has been quiet and cosy. 

Just saw this Brian, I hope you are feeling better. 

Hi Chrissy. It's still a little sore and tight but miles better than it was, I don't think I've every experienced pain like it before. Hope you and everyone had a great Christmas.

Back at work for me today.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas. Coran and I had a lovely few days at home, eating, drinking, reading and spending time with the cats. I was back to work yesterday but just for 2 days - its a good time for us to do a lot of deep cleaning while hardly anyone else is there, and it was a great opportunity to show my new cleaner how to use all the machinery. I am off again now for another 4 days before everything returns to 'normal' on January 2nd, and Coran and I are also off to Glastonbury in the morning staying at the wonderful Chalice Well where we had our honeymoon - no, not the festival! There is a little bit more to the town than that and it always amuses me when people ask if we are going - in December! ;) This time last year I was on my way home from Iceland having seen the fantastically brilliant Sigur Ros. 

Edited by Talisman