• Announcements

• Hayley

Signing Up   11/06/2018

Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

March Supporter Giveaway   03/02/2019

So March has crept up on us and I'm thrilled to finally show you the GREAT (he he...) March giveaway!     This time we have a gorgeous print of The Great Gatsby's most famous line from thestorygift.co.uk AND a Great Gatsby tea from the Literary Tea Company! This particular tea is Peach Blossom (which sounds delicious and I kind of wish I could keep it myself...) and the tin features another Gatsby quote.  If you'd like to see the other literary teas available (there are lots, I spent ages looking) you can find them both at the Literary Tea Company's etsy store (https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/LiteraryTeaCompany) or at their own website, theliteraryteacompany.co.uk .   As always, supporters are automatically entered into the giveaway and if you're not a supporter but want to be included in this months giveaway you can become a supporter on patreon here... https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum .   A winner will be chosen at random on the last day of the month. Good luck!  
Sign in to follow this  
Inver

Val McDermid

Although I've never read any of her books, hubby and I had the opportunity to go and hear her at our local cinema. She was great to listen to, very humorous and spoke about how her career all started and where she got her taste for writing crime novels etc.

What made it more interesting is she is from my home town Kirkcaldy, Fife, and she was talking about when she was wee going to the central library in the town and it made me smile knowing exactly where it was.... :smile:

Anyone like her books? We have one on our shelves that hubby has read so I must get around to reading it.

I have a couple on my shelves but haven't got round to reading them yet.

I've read a lot of Val Mcdermid's books, and have really enjoyed them. She is a good storyteller who doesn't shy away from the crimes she is describing. At times graphic, she is also skilled at the psychological aspects of crime, especially murder. 

Over the years I have seen/heard her in a number of interviews and think she is funny, engaging, super smart, and someone with whom I would love to share an evening.  :smile:  

Yes I've seen her interviewed and she comes across really well, very intelligent with a twinkly sense of humour, and such a lovely voice too.

I've never read any of her novels, but I recently read her non-fiction book on Forensics which was very interesting. I see her books a lot at the library, but I have never known where to start!

I think she's written a few stand-alone novels, which are the ones I've got, as well as the long running Wire in the Blood series.

I have read most of her output and find them to be

well written and they certainly keep you guessing a

lot of the time. Not so keen on the Tony Jordan ones

(Wire in the Blood series) I prefer the standalone ones

for the most part.

Glad to hear you have all enjoyed her reads.

I have just joined ,so have only just seen this post ,I am a great fan of Val Mcdermid I have just finished reading "Killing The Shadows",which I couldn't put down,I would have love to have gone to hear her speaking about her life as a writer lucky you ,