• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#1 babypinkcandygirl

babypinkcandygirl

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:56 AM

hy everyone, im brand new :smile2: im pretty stunned that i didnt find out about this site sooner as im a book addict but i thought id say hi ('hi') and get to know a few people on here. and what better way than being nosy?

id have to say mine was enid blyton's mallory towers series... i cant tell you how jealous i was of those girls and their midnight feasts, ginger beer and parentless train journeys!

#2 Echo

Echo

see you, space cowboy

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,310 posts
  • Reading now?:On the Road by Jack Kerouac
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:26 AM

I loved the Baby-sitters Club books by Ann M. Martin when I was young. They were by far my favorite books. I started collecting them from their earliest days in the late 1980's. I had a huge collection of about 55 books, which I ended up giving to my boyfriend's little sister about 5 years ago. I don't know what happened to them after that, but she doesn't have them anymore....she likes Anne Rice and Edgar Allan Poe now.:smile2:

#3 jenmck

jenmck

Bibliophile

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:44 AM

I could have sworn there was a thread like that here!

"The Secret Garden"
"Harriet The Spy"
I read Ngaio Marsh when I was about eleven and loved her.
I read Terry Brooks "Sword Of Shannara" when I was about twelve and loved it.
I read and reread "Dune" by Frank Herbert when I was thirteen.

#4 angerball

angerball

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:01 AM

My favourites were Enid Blyton's Famous Five and Secret Seven series. I loved them, but for some reason I never picked up any of her other books. I also loved Nancy Drew books. Other favourites were all the Judy Blume books (essential reading for young girls :smile2:), and Roald Dahl too.

When I got a bit older, I manically read SE Hinton's books, after discovering The Outsiders.

#5 Michelle

Michelle

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 9,450 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:15 AM

I could have sworn there was a thread like that here!

There's probably a couple. :smile2: I found one here.

#6 Spooncat

Spooncat

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:22 AM

welcome to the forum! Mine was Mallory Towers as well - I used to read them in bed eating choc biscuits and i was always trying to replicate their night time feasts with my friends on sleep overs!:smile2:

#7 Princess Orchid

Princess Orchid

Bookworm

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:37 AM

I had all the Mallory Towers books. And all the St Clares as well. And Chalet School, Sadlers Wells, and the "Wrinkle in Time" books by Madeleine Engle (was that her name??).

#8 carm

carm

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Reading now?:The Twelve; Outlander and Imperfect Pairings
  • LocationBrooklyn ny

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:36 PM

welcome aboard babypink!! this is a really great place with lots of friendly people-i can't remember what series of books i read as a child- i just read books-now that i'm older im reading series-i'm almost finished harry potter, i read all the shopaholic books and will start lemony snickets sometime in the future- carm

#9 JudyB

JudyB

Can't stop reading!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,159 posts
  • Reading now?:Unknown Pleasures: Inside Joy Division by Peter Hook

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:43 PM

id have to say mine was enid blyton's mallory towers series...

Oh Mallory Towers - they were wonderful. A friend of mine loved them so much that she asked her parents to send her to boarding school.

#10 Merflerher

Merflerher

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:47 PM

I read Ngaio Marsh when I was about eleven and loved her.

Ooh, Ngaio Marsh, yes, I started on her round about that age, and Agatha Christie - they're such easy adult reads and it makes you feel very grown-up to be reading that sort of book as a child. But I also loved Enid Blyton too, 'specially the 'Five Find-outers and dog' series - I really liked Fatty.

#11 Merflerher

Merflerher

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:49 PM

Did any of you read the Abbey Girls books? I've recently bought some of the titles I read over 40 years ago, I'm wallowing in nostalgia:D

#12 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,153 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:53 PM

I read all the Mallory Towers books. a few St. Clare's and a handful of Famous Fives too. I also read a stack of Judy Blumes in my youth. I still love The Wind ni the Willows and Winnie the Pooh and recently re-read one of my all-time favourites, Ronia, The Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren - it's till as gorgeous as it ever was.

Other than those, I didn't really read many kids' books that I remember - not once I got to be about 11 or 12 - I always read well above my own age and so I was reading things like Dracula and Frankenstein (although I later realised they were abridged editions). I was also an early fan of Shakespeare, believe it or not!

#13 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,284 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:24 AM

I loved the Baby-sitters Club books by Ann M. Martin when I was young. They were by far my favorite books. I started collecting them from their earliest days in the late 1980's. I had a huge collection of about 55 books, which I ended up giving to my boyfriend's little sister about 5 years ago. I don't know what happened to them after that, but she doesn't have them anymore....she likes Anne Rice and Edgar Allan Poe now.:)

Me too Echo! I still have all of mine. I've thought about getting rid of them at various times but I can't bring myself to do it. I think I have over 130 of them. I stopped buying them because I outgrew them but I think they stopped not long after anyway. Now I wish I'd kept collecting so I could see how it ended.

Edgar Allan Poe is just a small step up from BSC isn't it? :smile2:

#14 scottishbookworm

scottishbookworm

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Reading now?:Nerd do well Simon pegg
  • Locationglasgow

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:06 PM

I used to read dr seuss stories like cat in the hat and the grinch and green eggs and ham I used to read them as a child. Because I was growing up in the 70's

My main favourite was "THe wizard of Oz"

#15 Tiger

Tiger

Totally Wild

• Advanced Member
  • 1,064 posts
  • Reading now?:Lots and lots of books!
  • LocationDover/Plymouth, UK

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:31 PM

I loved The Mousehole Cat, that was so sweet.

#16 lovesreading06

lovesreading06

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 3,423 posts
  • Reading now?:Every Second Counts by Sophie McKenzie
  • LocationScotland

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:28 PM

[quote name='angerball']My favourites were Enid Blyton's Famous Five and Secret Seven series.

I loved them aswell. I might even re read some of them.

#17 Mia

Mia

Lost in L-Space!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,207 posts
  • Reading now?:Under the Dome - Stephen King
  • LocationTreacle Mine Road

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:42 PM

Apart from Enid Blyton's books, I almost exclusively read pony stories, as I was obsessed with horses! I enjoyed the "Jill" series by Ruby Ferguson and some of the Pullein-Thompson books, but my absolute favourites were the "Jinny at Finmory" books by Patricia Leitch. They were stories about a rather rebellious girl and her Arab mare, Shantih. I loved these books, as they were so different to most pony stories and the heroine wasn't the usual goody two shoes. In fact, I recently spent a small fortune buying them all off Ebay because I wanted to re-read them, and my copies are packed away somewhere inaccessible.

#18 jazz

jazz

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:51 AM

I was and still am a die hard Enid Blyton fan, I loved The Wishing Chair and The Faraway Tree Series. Also the Naughtiest Girl in the School is another book series that I loved.

#19 WillowFae

WillowFae

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:05 PM

hy everyone, im brand new :D im pretty stunned that i didnt find out about this site sooner as im a book addict but i thought id say hi ('hi') and get to know a few people on here. and what better way than being nosy?

id have to say mine was enid blyton's mallory towers series... i cant tell you how jealous i was of those girls and their midnight feasts, ginger beer and parentless train journeys!

I enjoyed Mallory Towers but have to admit to a preference for St Clare's :welcomeboard: And of course The Famous Five books.

My all time favourites were The Secret Garden and Ballet Shoes (so excited about the new TV version they are filming).

I have all of my books from my childhood in the garage and can't wait to share them with my two children :tong:

#20 WillowFae

WillowFae

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:07 PM

I used to read dr seuss stories like cat in the hat and the grinch and green eggs and ham I used to read them as a child. Because I was growing up in the 70's

Last year the am dram group I perform with did Seussical, a musical based on the Dr Seuss books and it was fantastic! We did a publicity event with our local Ottakars and they had a Dr Seuss theme going on in the children's section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users