Anna's Reading in 2016

Anna Begins

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though the end left me wanting (and wishing) for more, I was disappointed in the one chosen by the author.  It was a good read though, one I enjoyed.  I just wish the ending had been better.

I can't remember for sure, as it has been a long time since I read the book and watched the film, but I'm pretty sure the film had a different ending to the book.. you might prefer it? :)

I can't remember for sure, as it has been a long time since I read the book and watched the film, but I'm pretty sure the film had a different ending to the book.. you might prefer it? :)

That's true, if I remember it correctly the film does have a different ending.

I really loved the book and loathed the film from memory - although like the others it's been years since I read or saw it! 

Whatever the pros and cons of each ending, WHY change it? If you don't like the book, write an original film screenplay, don't change the ending. That makes it A DIFFERENT STORY ENTIRELY. 

/pet peeve

More Now Again- Elizabeth Wurtzel (320 pages)

Lots of people will go out on a binge if they get fired or their girlfriend leaves, but not me.  That stuff, I can handle.  For me, it’s the broken shoelaces that have me hooked.

This is a tough read, one I have read many times, because I identify with Wurtzel’s depression and addiction.  Starting each chapter with lines from music lyrics (like Kiss Off by the Violent Femmes) or a piece of poetry (like Anne Sexton), the book presents a grim story of Wurtzel’s life and what it means to be hopelessly addicted to drugs (which starts off with Ritalin).  During More Now Again, Wurtzel is working on a new book called Bitch, about feminism.  The book, of course, turns into a disaster with everyone begging Elizabeth to get some help.

What becomes of the life of an addict?  What does it mean to live a lifestyle of drugs and addiction?  How do addicts feel and what do they do, how do they do it?  Wurtzel has amazing insight into this period of her life and it is a stunning and harrowing account without being preachy.

Because I really don’t think I have a drug problem- I think I have a life problem.

‘My supply/ of tablets/ has got to last years and years/ I like them more than I like me,’ Anne Sexton writes in The Attic.  I like my pills more than me, more than I like anybody else.  That’s the only thing I know that matters.”

Highly recommended

January Summary:

Pages read: 2,522

Total for read a thon: 536 pages

Books read: 7 and 1 short story 

Most impressive: The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan (about the history of Israel and Palestine)

Biggest disappointment: my re- re- re- read of More Now Again by Elizabeth Wurtzel

On the whole, all the books I read were good ones.

Read a Thon:

Nine and a Half Weeks by Elizabeth McNeill (118 pages) 1/1 (storyline was medium of interest, but the Afterword had me :o )

Cornbread by Sean Hammer (23 pages) 1/1  (Ok, short story)

On Two Feet and Wings by Abbas Kazerooni (258 pages) 1/1-1/2  (Amazing story of a 9 year old fleeing Tehran)

The Lemon Tree by Sand Tolan (307 pages) 1/2- 1/5 (fascinating history of Israel and Palestine)

The Pact by Jodi Picoult (481 pages) 1/6-1/9 (Love story + courtroom drama)

Hunger (Book 2 of Gone) by Michael Grant (600 pages) 1/10- 1/13 (excellent book 2!  Can't wait for book 3 in a week or two!) 

The Time Traveler's Wife by Andre Neffengger (416 pages) 1/17- 1/22 (Hated the ending, but loved the book, don't think I will see the movie though!)

More Now Again by Elizabeth Wurtzel (319 pages) 1/23- 1/31 (Harrowing account of addiction and depression)

Total= 2,522 pages

Edited by Anna Begins

Great January summary!

Shame your re-re-re-read ( :giggle2:) was a bit of a disappointment :(. You read quite a bit in January. I look forward to read book 3 of the Gone series, too! And you read both The Pact and The Time Traveler's Wife, two of my favourite books (of which there are many :P). I hope February will be a successful reading month for you :).

Great January summary!

Shame your re-re-re-read ( :giggle2:) was a bit of a disappointment :(. You read quite a bit in January. I look forward to read book 3 of the Gone series, too! And you read both The Pact and The Time Traveler's Wife, two of my favourite books (of which there are many :P). I hope February will be a successful reading month for you :).

Thanks!  So far, so good :)  I actually loved all my January reads, I was lucky this month!  Are you doing a monthly summary?

(Thanks for catching my misspelling!)

Thanks!  So far, so good :)  I actually loved all my January reads, I was lucky this month!  Are you doing a monthly summary?

(Thanks for catching my misspelling!)

Yes, I will do a monthly summary :). I guess I've just been busy with the cataloguing. I wrote an initial draft for the summary but haven't decided if this is how I want to post it or not :).

Happy Reading in 2016, Anna !  :D

I`ve only read one each of Alison Weir ( The Lady Elizabeth ) and Philippa Gregory ( The Other Boleyn Girl ) but enjoyed them both.

I have The Last Runaway in my TBR, too.  :smile:

Oh, wasn't The Other Boleyn Girl good??  I can highly recommend the next one too, The Boleyn Inheritance. 

Thanks for stepping into my blog :)  It is good to see you back around :)

Happy reading in 2016. :)

I've only read the first 'Little House' book (we did a group read on here). I enjoyed it, although I was a bit shocked at Pa whipping those little girls. I'm going to see if I can find #2 in a charity shop or from the library. :)

A tip for your font problem... Flick the button that looks like a light switch before you paste. :) It does mean formatting on screen or (as I do) typing the formatting you want manually - E.g. [i ] "text you want in italics" [/i ] without the spaces before the second bracket.:)

My library keeps having book 2, and beyond (not all I think, but a lot of them) available, but I haven't been able to find book 1 yet. I will keep trying though :). Since you like them so much, I should at least give book 1 a go.

Yes, I will do a monthly summary :). I guess I've just been busy with the cataloguing. I wrote an initial draft for the summary but haven't decided if this is how I want to post it or not :).

Oh goody!  I am looking forward to it!

Happy reading in 2016. :)

I've only read the first 'Little House' book (we did a group read on here). I enjoyed it, although I was a bit shocked at Pa whipping those little girls. I'm going to see if I can find #2 in a charity shop or from the library. :)

A tip for your font problem... Flick the button that looks like a light switch before you paste. :) It does mean formatting on screen or (as I do) typing the formatting you want manually - E.g. [i ] "text you want in italics" [/i ] without the spaces before the second bracket. :)

Thanks for the tip, Janet, I will try it with my next review- it drives me crazy! 

I used to read The Little House on the Prairie collection over and over when I was a child, they are one of the first books I remember reading on my own :)

Happy reading to you too!

My library keeps having book 2, and beyond (not all I think, but a lot of them) available, but I haven't been able to find book 1 yet. I will keep trying though :). Since you like them so much, I should at least give book 1 a go.

Is that The Tudor Court series?  There is something up with Book 1, that is about Katherine of Aragon, you might not like that one quite so much, if I were you, I'd stick with The Cousins War series :)  It wasn't available when I started the series, which is a shame, as Alison Weir has that new Katherine book out soon (May, I think) and I think I would rather read that.  They stand alone, although The Boleyn Inheritance (book 2) makes more sense if you have read The Other Boleyn Girl (book 3).

I may have mis-led you on the Louis L'Amour book "Last of the Breed. It is one of the several non-westerns written by L'Amour. If you would like a recommendation in the Western vein by him I would be happy to do so.

Otherwise, The Last of the Breed is an excellent book and gets 5 stars on Amazon. I am currently reading it "again" and am 60% into the book This will be the 3rd reading of it by me. The last reading by me was well over 10 years ago.

I may have mis-led you on the Louis L'Amour book "Last of the Breed. It is one of the several non-westerns written by L'Amour. If you would like a recommendation in the Western vein by him I would be happy to do so.

Otherwise, The Last of the Breed is an excellent book and gets 5 stars on Amazon. I am currently reading it "again" and am 60% into the book This will be the 3rd reading of it by me. The last reading by me was well over 10 years ago.

That's ok, I know it's not a western.  My mom was even confused :P  Yes, please, I'd like a western recommendation!

It's sooo good to see you back, how are you?

That's ok, I know it's not a western.  My mom was even confused :P  Yes, please, I'd like a western recommendation!

It's sooo good to see you back, how are you?

I will give it some thought and recommend a Western by L'Amour. A snippet from Amazon on The Last of the Breed:

Epic novel about Major Joe Mack, a man born out of time. When his experimental aircraft is forced down in Russia, he must call on the ancient skills of his Indian forebears to survive the vast Siberian wilderness. His only escape is across the Bering Strait and across the sea to America.

If you can fit it in your busy schedule, please do read it. :)

Edited by muggle not

Is that The Tudor Court series?  There is something up with Book 1, that is about Katherine of Aragon, you might not like that one quite so much, if I were you, I'd stick with The Cousins War series :)  It wasn't available when I started the series, which is a shame, as Alison Weir has that new Katherine book out soon (May, I think) and I think I would rather read that.  They stand alone, although The Boleyn Inheritance (book 2) makes more sense if you have read The Other Boleyn Girl (book 3).

No, I was talking about The Little House on the Prairie series. I should probably have put that in my post :doh:. Thanks though, for your answer :), it is still good to know that.

Muggle Not, good to see you :).

No, I was talking about The Little House on the Prairie series. I should probably have put that in my post :doh:. Thanks though, for your answer :), it is still good to know that.

Oh, ok :giggle2:  My misunderstanding!  Maybe we can read book 1 together when/ if you find them.  Book 1 is called Little House in the Big Woods, book 2 is Little House on the Prairie.

When Paris Went Dark: The City of Light Under German Occupation (1940- 1944)- Ronald C. Rosbottom (449 pages)

Close your eyes, he writes, and still you can “hear” the Occupation, just as you can see it with your eyes open.

When Paris Went Dark starts immediately with the German invasion. It begins to feature some famous Parisians during the start of the occupation- artists like black American- Parisian jazz artist Josephine Baker, Picasso and Matisse, how some fled, some stayed. How their art reflected life’s circumstance. I liked that part and it is a running theme in the book with passages from Sartre and Gertrude Stein as well.

Many diaries are cited- both German and Parisian- along with some passages from other historians, like Max Hastings. Anecdotes range from the amusing- the most famous madam in Paris complaining about Nazi officers using the same bordello as Frenchmen- to the serious, a Nazi soldier trying to just “blend in” with the Parisian populous.

Despite its grim topic, the book is not graphic and while not an “easy” read, is by no means a labor to read. Sections on Informers, The Queue, and how simply the Nazi’s took over everyday life were particularly interesting (such as changing the time zone to Berlin’s or the role of The Metro). The resistance or Resistance (Rosbottom makes a distinction) takes up about a third the book, but it is mixed in with details of Parisian lives and diaries, passages and anecdotes. The part about underground French publishing company Midnight Publications was my favorite part of the resistance, publishing about 25 works during the Occupation and is still publishing today.

After 1500 days of Occupation, Paris was liberated on August 25th, 1944.

The last two chapters focus on post occupation, right up to how it was handled by French Presidents, so current, even Hollande is mentioned.

Highly recommended.

Edited by Anna Begins

A tip for your font problem... Flick the button that looks like a light switch before you paste. :) It does mean formatting on screen or (as I do) typing the formatting you want manually - E.g. [i ] "text you want in italics" [/i ] without the spaces before the second bracket. :)

:jump:   THANKS!!

It is almost impossible to recommend a book from Louis L'Amour and it has been over 10 years since I last read one with the exception of Last of the Breed which I just finished (3rd reading)  :). He wrote over 100 novels and most all were very good. I believe I have every book he wrote and have read them all twice. I was on the list from L'Amour's publishing and they sent me a book a month. Even many years after his death they were sending me books(I think they dug up everything remotely written by him) :) My last reading of the books, I went through them alphabetically and I wrote the date of the read in the front of the book. I now have then all packed away in boxes which reminds me I should check them to make sure they are ok.

You may want to read one of L'Amour's Sackett series books like "The Daybreakers."

Hi Athena - how you doing. :)

Oh, ok :giggle2:  My misunderstanding!  Maybe we can read book 1 together when/ if you find them.  Book 1 is called Little House in the Big Woods, book 2 is Little House on the Prairie.

Sounds good :)! I didn't know about the titles, the Dutch translations have 'book 1', 'book 2' etc. on the spine so it's just a matter of waiting until they have one that says 'book 1'. They do own it, it's just been loaned out a lot :giggle2:.

Great review :).

Hi Athena - how you doing. :)

I'm doing allright, thanks :). How are you?