Your Book Activity - March 2015

chesilbeach

I'm now 150 pages into The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

Very much enjoying the read but for the fact he repeatedly calls homosexuality a perversion and lists it alongside ex-convicts as moral attributes overlooked by Hitler for party figures. I know it was published in 1960 but still - very distressing to read from a figure purporting to hold supreme authority on horrors of Nazism - which did include persecution of homosexuals.

:empathy:  Hang in there! How long is the book, by the way? 

I'm on page 98 of My Fat Mad Teenage Diary and I'm really enjoying it now that I'm past comparing it to the TV series :smile2: 

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he was referring to Nazism viewing it as a perversion? Or he's just someone that was conservative in the 1960s when even being black was viewed as "wrong". :shrug:

Either way this book sounds good. I think I have intended on reading it at some point but I'm not sure. It's always good to read about history :smile:

The second option I think. He was criticised for it in later years. Apparently homosexual men have peculiar jealousies (!).

It's excellent though, I would recommend it. :)

Frankie, it's 1200 pages so a while to go yet! I might read something else alongside.

Recently started a new book (last night). Jodi Picoult again  :smile:

This one is called Change of Heart and it's about a murderer on death row for killing a little girl and her dad.

I've read that one, I liked it but there are other books by Jodi Picoult I liked more, I didn't find it one of her best though I did enjoy the book. I hope you enjoy it :).

I'm reading Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 13: Hoe Overleef Ik Mijn Vader? (En Hij Mij!). I'm not that far into it yet but so far I'm enjoying it a lot.

Took back the library version of The 13.5 Lives Of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers, as I had bought the kindle edition instead. I had only read a couple of pages of the tree book version, but the damn thing is so heavy and unwieldy :giggle2:  .

Still reading The Rosie Effect  :roll: , only managed 50+ pages yesterday. Hell fire, I really love this book, but my attention span is pathetic!  :blush2:

Have been wrestling with Italo Calvino's If On a Winter's Night a Traveller and have eventually got it on the ropes :blush2: Should finish it later. Hopefully will start Catriona McPherson's Dandy Gilver & the Proper Treatment of Blood Stains afterwards or just sit in a corner whimpering .. one of the two :D

Took back the library version of The 13.5 Lives Of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers, as I had bought the kindle edition instead. I had only read a couple of pages of the tree book version, but the damn thing is so heavy and unwieldy :giggle2:  .

Still reading The Rosie Effect  :roll: , only managed 50+ pages yesterday. Hell fire, I really love this book, but my attention span is pathetic!  :blush2:

I'm confused. I think I saw you say somewhere that you were... Oh my, I think I remembered you're on page 311 or something and 311+50=361 and that's really close to the end, so oh dear, I hope I didn't spoil anything for you in the PMs! :blush: I can't believe I got your pages read so wrong!! :thud:

One week in, and just started Book Three of Middlemarch, so just over a quarter of the way through.  The core of the narrative is highly readable, whilst some of Eliot's digressions and commentaries are nigh on impenetrable in places.  I suspect it's simply that it's been written for an audience with a completely different conceptual and educational background.  Anyway, these moments aside, it's engrossing.

Reached halfway today. Still engrossed!

FInished The Sky Is Everywhere today, and am about 120 pages from the end of World After, so I'll get that finished this week and hopefully one other book. I'm also taking my time getting through Pawnee by Leslie Knope :lol: I think I might start a couple of other books and see which most takes my fancy - including Only Ever Yours, as I know someone on here is eager to chat about it :)

I wonder who that could be?  :dunno: 

I'm almost halfway through The Last Dragonslayer now. :)

I am also almost 50% thru The Last Dragonslayer but I think you will finish before me. :) I like Jennifer Strange and expect big things from her. :)

I've read that one, I liked it but there are other books by Jodi Picoult I liked more, I didn't find it one of her best though I did enjoy the book. I hope you enjoy it :).

Yeah I enjoy parts of it. The story is great, but I find some of the things that happen hard to believe. I'm about 90% finished. It also contradicts my beliefs a little bit and parts of it have been predictable. But that could also come from reading so much of her work that I know how she writes :shrug:

Yesterday I finished Only Ever Yours - depressing but excellent read.

Started One More Thing - Stories and Other Stories by BJ Novak. It seems to divide people in reviews but I guess I have the right sense of humour because I'm finding it laugh out loud hilarious.

Wrote a review for The Sense Of An Ending by Julian Barnes, tis in my thread. Must write reviews for Only Ever Yours and The Sky Is Everywhere later today.

Yeah I enjoy parts of it. The story is great, but I find some of the things that happen hard to believe. I'm about 90% finished. It also contradicts my beliefs a little bit and parts of it have been predictable. But that could also come from reading so much of her work that I know how she writes :shrug:

I think I had similar feelings about it.

I started Scott Meyer - Magic 2.0 3: An Unwelcome Quest which so far is quite good. When I just started it, I didn't read much in it at first, because I loved the first two books and I didn't want to rush through this one, I wanted to make it last longer. Does anyone else sometimes get that? When you think you're really going to like a book, you want to make it last longer? Anyway, I was enjoying it a lot and wanted to keep on reading, so I read 174 pages in it yesterday in total.

I was naughty and bought books today....!... I don't need more...! One I had on my Christmas list and didn't get but saw in on the shelf and it still had a sticker on buy one get one half price.

'The Great Christmas Knit Off' by Alexandra Brown (I will keep this for a Christmas read this year)

'The Legacy of Elizabeth Pringle' by Kirsty Wark (the journalist, newscaster on BBC)

Kenny asked me yesterday 'Mum do you have a list of books you want?'.....Mother's Day is coming up so I gave him 5 titles to choose from....he went down town today....wonder which one he got me ? :D 

Edited by Inver

Kenny asked me yesterday 'Mum do you have a list of books you want?'.....Mother's Day is coming up so I gave him 5 titles to choose from....he went down town today....wonder which one he got me ? :D 

That's so sweet! :lol:

I've started the first season of Yesterday's Gone. I had been putting it off because it's a bit chunkier than I've been looking for recently, but I'm glad I did because I'm onto Episode 2 and am thoroughly enjoying it. I can't imagine how there are several more seasons after this one though!

I've started the first season of Yesterday's Gone. I had been putting it off because it's a bit chunkier than I've been looking for recently, but I'm glad I did because I'm onto Episode 2 and am thoroughly enjoying it. I can't imagine how there are several more seasons after this one though!

It goes so fast, its like yummy candy.  Serious.  I went through 3 Seasons (there is a conclusion).  Some of it is gory, but you don't mind horror, so enjoy!  :)