Your Book Activity - March 2015

chesilbeach

My reading is all over the place. I put down Book of Negros and picked up Round House by Louise Eldrich. I finished Round House and am going back to Book of Negros.

I love Eldrich's style, she's so lyrical. Native American mysticism and lore is in every line, every paragraph. I become totally absorbed until its finished and then I find myself wondering if I was lost.

Edited by Virginia

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ended up being too busy yesterday to get much reading done, but I have started Prudence and although it's the start of a new series, Carriger has built a brilliant world in the original series, that it feels like coming home.  Enjoying it a lot! :D

*Goes and looks this up* :typing::lol: this sounds like something I would be really interested in. Any favorite books?

Well I read most of them when I was a younger teenager so I don't remember exactly which ones I preferred over others :blush2:. I'm not even sure which ones I did and didn't read, at the time (I borrowed them from the library and from my parents). The ones I own I all bought recently, in the past two years or such (I found a lot of them in a second hand shop and was struck by a bout of nostalgia). I remember some that were really good, but without looking at the synopses of every single book I don't know which ones they were (maybe looking at the Dutch covers would help me also). There was one to do with an embryo that I liked for example, I think that might be the English one Vital Signs? But I'm not 100% sure as it's been such a long time since I read the Dutch translation. I hope to read the ones I bought some time, I hope I will still like them nowadays (probably though). There was another one, with a child.. but I don't know which one it was. I'm sorry, my memory is very hazy from those early times, I've kind of forgot a lot from those times as my teenage years were very difficult for me, I was very depressed, so I don't remember that much of those times I'm afraid. (Also, at the time that I read these thrillers, I read a lot of books from the library and I find it such a shame I don't remember most of their titles or authors. Back then I didn't look at that much, I never made a log of what I read and I didn't really notice such things, I just read a lot of books. I do remember liking a lot of the books by Robin Cook.). I will definitely tell you though when I read / re-read the ones I own and what I think of them :). Sorry I couldn't be of more help :blush2:.

I'm actually about to post reviews for both Magic and Yesterday's Gone in my thread :)

I must go and look :D!

I finished Elantris by Brandon Sanderson yesterday, it was amazing! I'll post a review later (once I've finished writing it). On Sanderson's website, there are some annotations, deleted scenes, a short story and some other interesting things to read about this book and the writing of it. I plan to read these webpages, I've already started, I'm finding it really interesting how the author thought up the book and wrote each chapter and such. Also, I'm hoping my copy of The Rosie Effect will be in the post today, otherwise, after reading the Sanderson articles, I will probably start a short book to read until The Rosie Effect gets here (I'm not sure yet what though).

Also, I'm hoping my copy of The Rosie Effect will be in the post today, otherwise, after reading the Sanderson articles, I will probably start a short book to read until The Rosie Effect gets here (I'm not sure yet what though).

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed you get your copy today! :smile2: 

I finished reading OMG! Is This Actually My Life? Hattie Moore's Unbelievable Year! by Rae Earl last night and started reading Nina Stibbe's Man at the Helm which I'm absolutely loving! :)

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed you get your copy today! :smile2:

I finished reading OMG! Is This Actually My Life? Hattie Moore's Unbelievable Year! by Rae Earl last night and started reading Nina Stibbe's Man at the Helm which I'm absolutely loving! :)

Brilliant news! Glad to hear it's going well :)

Have a credit for Audible now but can't think what to get. Was considering Gone Girl .. even though I do have a tree copy. I fancied another thriller after enjoying The Girl on the Train but then I listened to the sample and didn't like the sound of the male narrator  :blush2: Haven't entirely ruled it out though.

Progressing well with East of Eden :)

After some dentist treatment, I'm feeling rather sorry for myself and so have gone to bed with a book. Making good progress with THe Rise and Fall of the Third Reich now about a third of the way through.

Finished book 2 of Middlemarch so am reconsidering a light read alongside!

The length of these doorstoppers has not been good for my books read to acquired ratio...

After some dentist treatment, I'm feeling rather sorry for myself and so have gone to bed with a book. Making good progress with THe Rise and Fall of the Third Reich now about a third of the way through.

The length of these doorstoppers has not been good for my books read to acquired ratio...

Ouch! You need some comfy cosy reads to snuggle up with. Hope you feel better soon Alex  :empathy: 

Thanks for the help Athena! Even if you don't have exact titles, that is alright. Just knowing the author and then looking up synopses should be sufficient to finding something I like  :smile:

Hope you feel better soon, Alex.  :empathy:  I've finished book 2 of Middlemarch too.

I didn't make much progress on Prudence yesterday, as I was busy with other things.  Hoping to find a bit of time for some reading today, but not looking hopeful at the moment.  :unsure: 

I don't known what I was thinking the other day when I said I bought The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches, because even though that's the book I meant to buy (book 6) I instead purchased The Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust (book 7). Ugh!

In the meantime, I finished Linger, by Maggie Steifvater, and yesterday I found a used copy of Pioneers of Massachusetts by Charles Henry Pope

Collected The Clue Bible (The Fully Authorised History of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue) from the library yesterday.  That should bring a few titters of laughters when reading  :D .

I don't known what I was thinking the other day when I said I bought The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches, because even though that's the book I meant to buy (book 6) I instead purchased The Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust (book 7). Ugh!

Hmm, sounds like a perfect excuse to buy another book! ;)

I didn't make much progress on Prudence yesterday, as I was busy with other things.  Hoping to find a bit of time for some reading today, but not looking hopeful at the moment.  :unsure: 

Is it as good as you hoped?  I know you were really looking forward to it :)

I finished Allegiant today. Good read.

I am glad you liked it!!

I've now started Stories on the Go: 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors.

I had a good reading day today because work was nice and quiet. I finished off Yoga For People Who Can't Be Bothered by Geoff Dyer and I wanted to read some fiction but I only had my Kindle with me. I decided to make a start on Walden by Henry David Thoreau and once I got home the TBR jar picked out Pompeii by Robert Harris for me which I am delighted at.

I finished Plain Truth today and due to some pushing and suggesting that I should really give it a go, I will be starting 11/22/63 sometime today.

^It was indeed!

I've seen The Men Who Stare At Goats, but can't remember a single thing about it. :doh:

I've decided to read The Grass Is Singing by Doris Lessing. It's been on my TBR pile for a while now, and the first Doris Lessing book I have read. Good so far.

Pushed through and finished Witches abroad by Terry Pratchett tonight. I'm looking to start Persuasion by Jane Austen tomorrow. I decided that this year I wanted to read more classics so every fifth book in the month will be a classic - so I'll have at least 12 read this year. It's working well so far.