Your Book Activity - January 2015

Kylie

Just wanted to quickly say, happy reading in 2015 everyone!

I am currently reading three books, Wasteland: stories from the apocalypse - various authors. Animal farm - George Orwell; and I still need to finish A feast for crows - GRRM.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am currently reading three books, Wasteland: stories from the apocalypse - various authors. Animal farm - George Orwell; and I still need to finish A feast for crows - GRRM.

You too!

I really liked Animal Farm when I read it a few months ago, and I also liked A Feast for Crows. I hope you enjoy all three books :).

Obviously I'm not as nice as you, because I just jumped right in to tell Anna how much I hated it! :D

:giggle2:

I'm glad you did! 

You too!  I am interested in Wasteland, let me know what you think.  Although it does feel like I am buried in the "speculative fiction" genre right now lol I should have called my Reading Blog something like, "Anna's Dystopia for 2015".  :giggle2:

I am reading again from Hugh Howey's Sand Omnibus today, Part 2, The Visitor.

I hated the book, too, but when you first mentioned you started it, I didn't want to say I was not a fan and discourage you, in case you'd be one of those who like the book  :giggle2: It's actually one of my 'most overrated novels in the world'. Probably the most overrated. 

:D

:lol:  So I was the only one left out of the secret that I was reading a horrible book? 

:giggle2: Nah, it must be part of the expedience to find out ourselves that Paulo Coelho's books can be a load of   :censored:!!!  :D

I finished Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and am about to start Order of the Phoenix :smile2:

I'm thinking of doing a re-read (yet again) of the books :D

:giggle2: Nah, it must be part of the expedience to find out ourselves that Paulo Coelho's books can be a load of   :censored:!!!  :D

This made me laugh  :giggle2:   So glad I'm not alone with these opinions! 

Finally finished my first book of the year!  And it was a wonderful, wonderful read!  John Banville's Ancient Light.  Put a review over on my 2015 list. :)

Not sure exactly what is next, probably two at the time...The High Window by Raymond Chandler, and a non-fiction biography.  The Man Who Would Not Be Washington by Jonathan Horn. 

:rolol: Now I really don't feel bad for giving it up!

:lol:  So I was the only one left out of the secret that I was reading a horrible book? 

:lol: :lol: Sorry Anna, but I agree with Marie :giggle2: One has to discover the secret oneself to believe in it... :lol: 

Tonight I finished reading  "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee and now I know why it is a Classic. Without a doubt it is one of the best books I have read. I strongly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.

Tonight I finished reading  "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee and now I know why it is a Classic. Without a doubt it is one of the best books I have read. I strongly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.

Oh yes indeedy. Probably my favourite book ever. Atticus is my hero.

I've just started to read Paul Magrs - Exchange, a book that I don't know much about but I mainly picked up because of the cover and because it involves books and a book shop. Apparently it was shortlisted for the Booktrust Teenage Prize according to the front cover. So far it's nice but I've only read a few pages.

EDIT: There are some mentions now of books and book cases, around the house! This is great :).

Edited by Athena

I've been getting curious about The Miniaturist. The lovely cover always catches my eye, and I believe it's had good reviews. I look forward to reading your thoughts on it, Janet and Chesil. :)

I nearly bought the paperback of it with some of my Waterstone's vouchers when Peter and I went away just after Christmas - I'm glad I decided to wait a while now.  I'm becoming a real Kindle convert -  My Paperwhite is so easy to read! :)

I went into town with my son and we bought The Miniaturist and The Humans by Matt Haig for me and a Simpsons graphic novel and Tom Gates annual for him. :)

I hope you enjoy your books, and your son his :)! I just read two Tom Gates books, I saw them at the library and they seemed nice, I really enjoyed them.

Currently reading; Ulysses, Fellowship of the Ring and Dick Sand by Jules Verne :thud:

That's a lot! I hope you enjoy all three :).

Finished my first book of the year last night, this month's reading group choice: The Woman Who Dived into the Heart of the World. It's a good book, even if I personally didn't relate to it as much as others have.  Tim Clayton's brilliant Waterloo is also on the go.

I went into town with my son and we bought The Miniaturist and The Humans by Matt Haig for me and a Simpsons graphic novel and Tom Gates annual for him. :)

Offspring recently bought The Miniaturist (his first paper book for a while, but he had a book token, and decided that the quality of the cover/binding made it worthwhile in preference to a Kindle version), whilst I bought The Humans (Kindle version), based on all the positive comments in the BCF Books of the Year listings, having never heard of book or author before!

Edited by willoyd